PDA

View Full Version : LSI M-92 questions

helice
01-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Please forgive if I'm in the wrong place or if these questions have been answered a hundred times some place else but I'm new at this.
I have a SS 45 cal LSI M-92. I'm not at all impressed with the back sight. Is the slot cut to a standard size? Can I order one from Brownells and have it fit? Some times these for'n guns are metric or some dang thing.
Also --How long does it take to smooth this thing out. I've run about 500 rnds thru it but it's still feels stiff and gritty. I have a couple of Browning M-92s and an old Winchester M-92 that some clown bored out to 357 mag back in the 60's. (Yes! He was on drugs.) Those guns are smooth as glass. Help me out here gentlemen!

Helice

Buckshot
01-07-2009, 02:58 AM
...............I have one of those:

http://www.fototime.com/95900A3C1D2F5E8/standard.jpg

You have to do this:

http://www.fototime.com/5751F9BA77BF996/standard.jpg

Once apart, inspect all corners, edges, and slots for tag ends and pigs ears. Plus, there may be some of this junk that has broken loose and floating around inside. So inspect inside the action closely in all the nooks and crannies. Best to flush it out with a couple cans of carb cleaner to begin with. This swarf floating around amongst the works doesn't do smoothness any good.

You'll need some good jeweler's files, some 600 & 1000 grit silicone carbide paper and some brown, blue, and white Cratex bobs will also be helpfull. A couple popcicle sticks will also be helpfull to wrap the paper on, etc. Down in the reciever it's a bear to manuever around in. On mine there were some really sharp edges with teeth from "Less sharp then they could be" milling tools. These tiny bits will eventually wear away or break off. We want to get rid of them now.

Polish touching wear surfaces without removing any metal (White Cratex) and judiciously use that 1000 grit paper on sliding surfaces.

................Buckshot

Bret4207
01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Or, you can mail it off to the 92 guy and he can do it. I forget his name, but it's Bob Jones or something- someone will chime in here shortly with the right name.

There are a variety of sights offered through the various Cowboy Action shooting suppliers, Brownells, etc. I prefer a receiver sight like a Lyman or Williams, but haven't got around to getting one to mount on my Puma. The front sight needs changing too.

missionary5155
01-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Good morning
Buckshot has "The Best Solution"...
I rescently read a post somewhere here of a recomendation to "Fill the action with toothpaste" and cycle it 500 times....
I have used valve grinding compound on individual parts. Disassemble, remove obvious problems. Then try individuals parts in thier positions. If there is restrictions a dobber of valve grinding compound in the friction area and some motion to the parts will smoth things out. BUT be sure to remove the compound completely when finished or it will continue to work on the metal.
God Bless you... Jesus still saves

cajun shooter
01-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Bret4207, It's Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones. He's in Port Arthur,Tx. He is the guru of the 92, but also is running 4-5 months behind at this time. The hurricane and other things put Steve in the hole. He offers for sale on his web site a cd for 29.95 that shows you a how to do it yourself theme. Steve installs the Marbels site on his work. They can be purchased from Brownnell's.

corvette8n
01-07-2009, 04:53 PM
The rear sight is just a standard .360 dovetail.
I have a large loop lever LSI w/16" bbl in .45 Colt. I bought a buckhorn rear sight from Midway or Brownells can't remember which.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=323720

helice
01-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Hey Guys,
Great information. I'd heard of Steve Young some time ago---I think it was from Paco Kelly. I'm going to have to invest some cash in his CD. I'd love to mount a tang sight but this LSI is not drilled and tapped for the sight. I suspect that I'll contact Brownell's and fill the dove tail with something that doesn't slide around left to right. (Cheap, quick and dirty.) I've never seen a back sight like this one. Some day I'll figure out how to send you guys pictures and then I'll really gripe. But thanks for the insights. In an Abundance of Counselors......
Helice

Pepe Ray
01-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Corvette8n
How the "H" did you get so lucky?
First a .360 dovetail is WAY too small for a Rossi.
I've had 8 Rossies come and go and the only one with a middle sight even remotely close to being American Standard was a SS Trapper with Fiber Optics.
Don't get me wrong, I love the M92's and will always find a way to put decent sights on them but they sure don't make it easy.
I believe the American std is "called a 3/8" .I've measured dozens of sights and the DT never got smaller than .362" and went to .373". And IT was STILL too small for my rossi.
Keep pluggin, we can find a way.
Pepe Ray

helice
01-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Well,
Here I go again. This is what I'd heard from a fellow lever-gunner at the Arrowhead Range. I'd like to know what you've done in the past Pepe Ray to get "decent" sights on your 92s. This 45 Colt Rossi shoots better than I can and it deserves "decent". It now has a sight that appears to be hinged in the middle or rivited or some dang thing. A piece of garbage to be sure. I also have one of the single barrel Rossi in 44Mag. THing came with a plastic sight. OOh gag. Keep talking.. Helice

Pepe Ray
01-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Well,-- right now I;m contemplating having a friend/machinist mill out dove tail blanks to fit the "canyon". However , your remarks about a "hinged" contraption makes me think that someone has already copied my immediate solution. Which is.--
Locate /acquire desirable middle sight. Hacksaw the good dovetail piece (retaining it for future blanks, their 7-10 $ around here.)
Drill out the rivet holding the Rossi sight together. Drill a hole in the tail end of the new sight and rivet the 2 pieces together. Drill/tap is an option I considered but knew a good tight rivet would do for me.
Does this sound like what you have? May not be pretty but it works "if your eyes can see the middle sight."
I did this for my grand son to use the carb. For me it must be a peep of some kind. I've mounted the nice inexpensive Taurus/Rossi Tang sight on a couple with good satisfaction. I'm drilling the receivers of all to take a Lyman or Williams receiver sight, which is the sturdiest solution.
Pepe Ray

helice
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Pepe Ray,
I see that you are familiar with the Rossi's riveted back sight. Last time out I was shooting sweet groups then I blew the leg off my target stand which brought to mind some very short words. I studied the back sight and found it was moved on that Stupid Rivet which brought to mind more very short words.
I'm not familiar with the Taurus Tang sight. Have you mounted these on the Puma? I like a tang sight and I just can't get myself to like the LOOKS of the receiver sight. I've got a William's econo class on a re-worked Martini Cadet. It works great but to me it destroys the lines of the firearm that chunk of "aluminium" hanging off the side. Give me an idea what tang sight it is and I'll check Brownell's. Keep Writing. Helice

Junior1942
01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I mounted a Williams WGOS to my Rossi's rear sight. See http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rossi.htm It's been there solid for many years.

fecmech
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Taurus tang sight. http://www.taurususa.com/products/tangsight.cfm

Pepe Ray
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Just as Taurus has copied everything else,- the tang site I purchased (3), is a copy of the Marbles sight. ie elevation and windage adjustable. It was advertised, at the time . as being for the .22 pump ?model#?. I can only guess that the reason that they don't include the M92 in the recommended models to fit, is because the M92 has only one hole in the upper tang. That was a no sweat fix to me. The sight comes w/screws for the 22 Pump but I had NO trouble finding proper screws at my local hardware store. They were plated but a magic marker fixed that.
Personally I don't have a fixation for "traditional looks". I prefer things that work good. I'll be drilling ALL of my m92 for receiver sights.
I do have a bone to pick however. Virtually ALL of the illustrations posted here and elsewhere, show the rcvr sights mounted way too far forward for me. The WHOLE premise of a "ghost ring" sight is to NOT be able to see the sight while your using it. The aperture is supposed to "ghost away" as your looking thru it to the front sight. There might be some with vision such that they can do that but I can not. So, I'll be mounting my sights as far back as I can get w/o interfering w/the hammer.
Pepe Ray

Pepe Ray
01-12-2009, 03:41 PM
thanking fecmec for that link I have another comment.
The illustration shows a large target aperture. This is ,of course, removable. Go to Brownells and get a Merit adjustable aperture. One will do it all. Dim light, bright light, ageing eyes , it's the bottom line.
Pepe Ray

NoDakJak
01-12-2009, 04:28 PM
I mounted a Taurus Tang Sight on my Taurus Thunderbolt. It is not as good a quality as a Lyman or Marbles tang but is a good buy and really made the Thunderbolt with it's miserable factory sights much more shootable. I drilled and tapped one of my Pumas and installed a Lyman side peep. Also installed them on a couple of my Marlins and a 94 Winchester. I much prefer them to a tang sight. They are mounted close to the rifle and have little to snag on brush. They are ready to go all the time. I personally think that the staff on a tang mount makes them flimsy and liable to be bent while crawling through the brush unless it is laid down. That dadblasted tang gets in the way of my thumb. Can also be painful if you are shooting a cartridge with heavy recoil. Neil

Buckshot
01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
............The LSI Rossi rifle I show in the previous post now has a Marbles tang sight on it, and you can still wrap your thumb over the wrist. The new M92 Winchester (Miroku) I just got has a Marbles on it also. In this case it sits right where your thumb wants to be.

................Buckshot

Pepe Ray
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Buckshot.
Thats very interesting!
Have you figured out what the physical difference is?
Thanks i.a.
Pepe Ray

helice
01-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Buckshot
Thanks for the inform. Like Pepe Ray I'd like to know where the difference lies. I have a tang sight on a 94 trapper. I like the tang sight picture cause it truly "ghosts away. However the dang thing is always in the way of my thumb. I have a tang on an old M-1899 Savage that does not interfere with the grip and I truly enjoy it. I believe that the Savage sports a Lyman but whoever made the one mounted on the M-94 was not proud enough of it to put a name anywhere I can see it. (I haven't taken it off the rifle.) I believe its a Marble. Its a lot bigger than the Lyman and has windage adgust.
I feel sheepish about asking you to put pictures up of the two tang sights of which you speak cause I have no idea how to do that and don't know how much work is involved. However I got this thread going and I'd like to come away from it with more answers than questions. So If you'd be so kind, let me see what you've got. Keep writing. Helice
P.S. Are there destructions on this sight as to how to post pictures? I might like to try my luck. Heck, I've got a Polaroid:>.

helice
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Fecmech and Jr. '42
Thanks for the posts. Your Frugal outdoorsman is really interesting. And the Taurus websight was helpful. I believe that the Taurus tang is available thru Brownells -- anyway they look like the same thing.
Junior -- How do you pronounce the town you live in. Is it 2 loose? I once had a 61 Ford pick-em-up truck by that name. Too Loose La Truck. Thanks again guys. Keep writing. Helice

helice
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Buckshot
Thanks for the inform. Like Pepe Ray I'd like to know where the difference lies. I have a tang sight on a 94 trapper. I like the tang sight picture cause it truly "ghosts away. However the dang thing is always in the way of my thumb. I have a tang on an old M-1899 Savage that does not interfere with the grip and I truly enjoy it. I believe that the Savage sports a Lyman but whoever made the one mounted on the M-94 was not proud enough of it to put a name anywhere I can see it. (I haven't taken it off the rifle.) I believe its a Marble. Its a lot bigger than the Lyman and has windage adgust.
I feel sheepish about asking you to put pictures up of the two tang sights of which you speak cause I have no idea how to do that and don't know how much work is involved. However I got this thread going and I'd like to come away from it with more answers than questions. So If you'd be so kind, let me see what you've got. Keep writing. Helice
P.S. Are there destructions on this sight as to how to post pictures? I might like to try my luck. Heck, I've got a Polaroid:>.

helice
01-13-2009, 03:57 PM
NoDakJac
Where in NoDak? I grew up out there. S&W of Minot. Thanks for the info on the Tang. Its good to hear from someone with real life Taurus experience. I like the price of the Taurus tang. Where does the quality faulter? Is it just flimsy or weak? Will it stand up to full-house Ruger loads in the 45 Colt? Keep writing. Helice

Pepe Ray
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
helice;
I'm not trying to answer for nodakjak. Your attitude and fair questions require continued discussion.
If I must find fault (I try to NOT do that when I've just saved 50$ on the product)
it would be that the spring that holds the elevation post in it's upright position could be stronger. It would be nice to feel the pressure and "snap" like a good pocket knife when opened. The spring must be adequate however as I've tried to make it move by shock, recoil etc. It stays until you fold it on purpose.
The sight adjustments are positive and I can find no ragged edges.
Hope this helps.
Pepe Ray

Buckshot
01-14-2009, 04:27 AM
.............."Buckshot
Thanks for the inform. Like Pepe Ray I'd like to know where the difference lies."

..........The difference is that the Miroku has the safety button on the tang, so the people at Marbles designed the base to utilize the one tang screw for mounting (which is behind, or below the slot in the tang containing the safety button). The base straddles the lower end of the safety slot which put's it exactly where you'd lay your thumb.

The Rossi has it's safety on the top rear of the bolt. So as God intended, the entire wrist is clear and the tang sight can be mounted much closer up behind the hammer. Gobs of thumb room :-) I'll post pictures.

What lawyers have screwed up, a determined person may rectify to one degree or another. On the Rossi the bolt mounted safety is an eyesore and an abomination. Debateable which looks worse, the bolt mounting or the slot and button on the wrist? You have a perfectly good half cock notch on the hammer, which admirably handles the situation. HA! At least neither has a combination lock built in!

http://www.fototime.com/A428881154C91B6/standard.jpg

This was my remedy. Sorry for the poor photo as my old camera didn't do closeups well. Originally the button had a lever on it and rotated 90 degrees. There was a red 'F' and a green 'S'. The lever moved to cover one or the other. Drive out a small cross pin and carefully lift the safety button out. Go slow and watch for the spring loaded ball detent.

I then turned a piece of steel to a close fit in the vacant hole, and filed in a groove for the cross pin. I filed the top to as close a facsimily to the original radius as possible, then polished and cold blued it. Put it in place and replaced the cross pin. While not perfect it at least no longer has the lever and the Christmas bright glaring green and red letters.

On the Miroku M92 version, you can remove the buttstock, then with access to the sliding safety button, remove it and file it down so it no longer protrudes above the surface of the tang. You may have to shorten the button also to D&T for the 2nd mounting screw. However, once down you can fit a real 1892 type tang sight and have thumb room over the wrist.

I'll try to get photo's added tomorrow.

..................Buckshot

Seafarer12
01-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I have a Navy Arms (Rossi) 92 and mine takes a standard 3/8 dovetail for a rear sight. I replaced mine too. As far as smoothing up the action. First thing you need to do is buy a spring kit from Brownells. They run about 25 bucks and come with all the springs. They help out alot especially on the ejector spring and hammer spring. The ones in the Rossi's are way too stiff. Then as slicking it up I just use a hard Arkansas stone on a few of the mating surfaces to even them out and a Dremel with a buffing wheel on all the mating surfaces and shined them up like a mirror. My action is slicker than snot now. I already had a great trigger in mine so I didn't mess with the trigger. The thing that will make the biggest difference is the spring kit though. It takes a lot of effort to over come that ejector spring tension.

Junior1942
01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Junior -- How do you pronounce the town you live in. Is it 2 loose? I once had a 61 Ford pick-em-up truck by that name. Too Loose La Truck. Thanks again guys. Keep writing. Helice

Pronounce it "Tull-us." Rhymes with "hull-us." Population is around 400. One caution light.

helice
01-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Sorry to be so slow in responding. I just forgot to be looking for page 2. Great advice all around. Junior Thanks for the Geography lesson. Sounds like a great place. I grew up in a town of 214 great souls. I could walk a block and be in pastures full of gophers. Heaven on earth for a boy. Buckshot, Pepe, Seafarer, thanks for the inform. I look forward to more. One of the members sent me a personal note tellin me how to post pictures. I am determined to finger it out. I need a 10 year old to help me.:> Keep writing. Helice