PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret press & Lee Perfect powder Measure

Russ in WY
01-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Anybody use the two together ??? From what I have seen in there catalog, I think it can be done using the Lee Universal Charging Die. "Or" is it only possible to use the Lee Pro Auto-Disk powder measure. Any input on this will be very much appreciated. Tks Russ.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Russ,

A better alternative to using the Lee Perfect powder measure is to use an RCBS Uniflow powder measure with either a Hornady case activated powder drop or the RCBS equivalent. I have one on my Lee Classic Turret. Works great, provides case activated powder drop and clears the safety prime. This is what I use when reloading with extruded rifle powders.

For ball powders, I use the Pro Auto Disk powder measure with that press, also works great.

Regards,

Dave

DLCTEX
01-07-2009, 07:18 AM
I tried various combinations to try and make the PPM work on the Turret. I never could make it operate off the case, but it works fine if powder is cycled by hand. If you can get it to work, let me know how you do it. DALE

copdills
01-07-2009, 07:26 AM
another one for the lee pro powder disk I love it

compass will
01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I have the Lee PPM and I use it on my Lee turret press (not the classic).
I use the Lee Universal Charging Die and it works automagicly.
I went with the Lee PPM instead of the 2 disk kit for the disk power thrower.
Just set the PPM up on your press so the moving parts clear the other dies.
if your in auto turret mode, you will find the PPM will clear the primer feeder, but I forget weather the micrometer arm has to be in the empty direction or full direction.

I do not use the chain so I have to move it back to "fill" by hand.
A couple tricks I discovered.

always keep the PPM over 1/2 full and it will throw more constant charge.

When the case auto operates the PPM, be sure to finish the job and turn the handle all the way to the dispense position, this assures it is empty.

When turning it back to FILL, turn it by the knob and not the micro adjustment piece. It seems to keep in calibration better this way.

If it starts to look like it is leaking powder, tighten the screw on the side of the handle.

I use H4895, H4198 and Varget with no problems.

Russ in WY
01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Tks for the words of wisdom Guys. Its always nice to hear from those who are actually Hands On. I am going to try a new set up with the Lee Classic Cast press. I already have 2-Dillon 550's in operation , but want to try a bit of a different sys for some straight wall pistol rnds. A few months ago I purchased the Lee Classic single stage press & wish then that I had more info on the Turret model, probably would have gotten it then. Oh well, whats another press on the load bench, will find something for it to do. Russ.

rudyc
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Russ,

e-mail sent

rudyc

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Russ,

If you're loading pistol cartridges, I'd advise getting the Pro Auto Disk if they're ball powders. PPM doesn't handle the ball powder that well, tends to leak.

Dave

Craig67
01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I'm with Dave.

The PPM is a leaker with ball powders but pretty consistent with stick types. I only use my PPM for rifle loading and after I use BL-C2 I have a fine layer of powder over my bench. I got so fed up with this that I mostly dip BL-C2 with the powder scoops now.

My Auto Disc mounted on the Classic Cast Turret is super with HS-6. I only see a tiny amount of powder every few hundred rounds, barely noticeable.

HTH,

Craig

Dale53
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I use the Lee Pro Disc powder measure exclusively with my Classic Turret Press when loading pistol cases.

I have two Dillon 550B's but use the Classic Turret for small lots (less than 200 rounds, the faster set up of the Lee allows me to actually produce a small lot faster than the Dillon). However, more than 200 rounds, the Dillon wins hands down. I really enjoy the quick set up for these small lots and when working up a load for a particular purpose.

Let me give you a fictitious example. I shoot mostly target loads with my 625's. That is a H&G #103, 195 gr SWC. My Dillon turns these out by the thousands in excellent time (400-500 per hour depending on my mood at the time).

I decide that I want to deer hunt with the 625. I only need enough to sight the gun in and a few for pre-hunt practice (I stay in shooting shape year round with my target loads).

I decide I will be using bullets that I cast from my Lyman 454424 four cavity mould (I keep a stock on hand). I am using Starline .45 Auto Rim cases. From previous tests, I use enough Unique or 2400 to give me the desired velocity (900-1000 fps) with my 260 gr bullet.

I can have that baby up an running in a couple of minutes. My Turret has the dies already installed (get a turret for each caliber) and includes a conversion* to .45 Colt in the Lee FCD to give me a nice roll crimp in the proper crimp groove in the bullet of choice. I immediately start running the loads and have decided that 150 rounds will give me what I need. That's enough for sighting in and two good, Pre-hunt, range sessions to get accustomed to the greater recoil of the handgun with the heavy loads.

You just cannot beat that combination (the Dillons for high volume loads and the Lee Classic Turret for small volume loads).

*The .45 Colt conversion crimp is available from Lee for just a few bucks. It requires the .45 Colt crimping sleeve and a spacer (the .45 ACP Factory Crimp Die uses a longer crimping sleeve as it is a taper crimper). This makes a perfect roll crimp that I only use with heavy loads in the revolver.

Dale53