PDA

View Full Version : Still a market (demand) for Zinc?

remy3424
07-23-2021, 07:45 AM
With all the zinc one finds in wheel weights now, is there anyone still willing to pay the shipping for it? It is that or in with the scrap steel.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-23-2021, 09:14 AM
I would surely think so, the cannon ballers like to cast with Zinc.

lightman
07-23-2021, 02:41 PM
I sold some sorted steel and zinc weights as scrap recently and got more than wheelweight prices. I don't remember the exact price as I sold a large mix of stuff.

dimaprok
07-23-2021, 06:22 PM
I sort wheel weights and save all the zinc for myself. Periodically I will turn them into ingots. I've bern casting with zinc, its harder but doable.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

dondiego
07-23-2021, 09:42 PM
I want to cast cannon balls with zinc but everything that I have read says that you shouldn't use aluminum molds to cast with zinc and both of my molds are made of aluminum and I don't want to ruin them. Any ideas? I have a 1.5 inch bore, actually golf ball size.

turtlezx
07-23-2021, 10:17 PM
check scrap $$$ was worth more than lead

Budzilla 19
07-24-2021, 09:45 AM
I save, melted in to “ coins “ and have used it to harden lead with!! It’s a bit tricky sometimes to cast zinc-enhanced lead, but the boolits are pretty tough, just by using a redneck test. Just keep zinc content to 1% or less, it will work. Boy, am I going to set on fire for this statement! Just sayin. But, if you want to sell it, offer it up on swap and sell it should go fast to someone in the cannonball business. Good luck.

Castloader
08-28-2021, 08:34 AM
I also have been saving up zinc and have a bucket of ingots. Elvisammo on YT is casting stuff as small as .223 boolits out of the stuff. No lube needed either. Anybody here doing that?

heebs
08-30-2021, 12:00 AM
Last time I sold zinc, I too got more than scrap lead price. Go figure.

toallmy
08-30-2021, 04:26 AM
Just a thought , the last time I picked up Zink for some of the local crab trappers it was just shy of a hundred bucks for a 50 lb box , and that was years ago .
If you think that's steep check out the price on larger blocks used at ship yards .

remy3424
08-30-2021, 07:40 AM
I also have been saving up zinc and have a bucket of ingots. Elvisammo on YT is casting stuff as small as .223 boolits out of the stuff. No lube needed either. Anybody here doing that?

Interesting, maybe I will just keep it and check out the YT.

Castloader
08-30-2021, 12:59 PM
Last time I sold zinc, I too got more than scrap lead price. Go figure.

It’s worth mentioning that 10lb of zinc makes more boolits than 10lb of lead. Zinc is 64ish% the density of lead, meaning you can get 100 zinc boolits for the same weight as 64 lead boolits. I’m interested in some lightweight plinkers for the 300BLK, maybe 45-70. As time moves on, I suspect zinc casting will become more popular for a variety of reasons. (Lead-free ammo anyone?!)

downzero
08-30-2021, 01:04 PM
I scrapped probably 200 pounds of it and I think I got like $20. I'll just throw it away now.

oley55
08-30-2021, 07:51 PM
Today when I finished processing 130# of coww I decided to process the 20# of zinc clip-ons I had. Wellllllllllllll I got this to say about that, I doubt I'll ever, ever, ever do that again. Some clips floated while many sank to the bottom, so fishing out clips was way different to what I was expecting. Not a big deal just different. The big pain was the zinc stuck to and left gobs of zinc all over my spoon, ladle and pot. I spent the better part of an hour cleaning up tools afterwards and I can't say everything is really zinc free.

Just my first and LAST impression.

William Yanda
08-31-2021, 08:02 AM
"set on fire" Budzilla
Not from here. I am glad to have confirmed what I suspected. Knowing the proximity of Zn to Cu on the Elements Chart it is not surprising to hear that both have similar effects on lead alloys.
Regards,

lign
09-10-2021, 02:59 AM
I've got a box of zinc clip-on wheel weights from my sorting sessions that anyone is welcome to have for free if they want them...

LAGS
09-13-2021, 10:11 PM
I do save my Zinc WWs.
I smelt them down and make other stuff out of them.
Like softer jaw faces for my vise .
Or plates for my drill press to hold parts in place
Once cast a butt plate for a rifle that I wanted to dress up.
Cast grip caps would look nice too.

toallmy
09-14-2021, 01:08 AM
How does fluxing the zinc work out ?

bowfin
09-16-2021, 11:46 AM

I am guessing you mean removing zinc from lead?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62957-A-possible-way-to-remove-zinc-from-molten-lead

oley55
09-16-2021, 01:14 PM

Right wrong or indifferent, I just skimmed the trash and poured my zinc ingots. I wasn't planning to do anything with the zinc so I didn't try fluxing, but I did wonder if sawdust would be appropriate with zinc or something different. Perhaps one of our zinc casters will chime in.

toallmy
09-16-2021, 02:45 PM
I am guessing you mean removing zinc from lead?

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62957-A-possible-way-to-remove-zinc-from-molten-lead

I was thinking more along the lines of cleaning up the zinc coww after melting them down .

toallmy
09-16-2021, 02:54 PM
Right wrong or indifferent, I just skimmed the trash and poured my zinc ingots. I wasn't planning to do anything with the zinc so I didn't try fluxing, but I did wonder if sawdust would be appropriate with zinc or something different. Perhaps one of our zinc casters will chime in.

We have a member that cast Zink slugs with a bit of something blended in to the mix , I want to say aluminum but I'm not sure .
It's a shame I'm so lazy or I'd give it a try .