PDA

View Full Version : 94 v 336

Johnw...ski
01-06-2009, 09:15 PM
This should get something going, I just got the following e-mail and I thought you guys could put some insight on it. Remember this guy will probably be shooting factory ammo so jacketed is probably the word. Here's the e-mail.

I have been looking at Winchester 94's and Marlen 336's... In your opinion, which is best? Marlin seems better made and the lever action is MUCH smoother...

Anyway, look forward to your recommendation

Thanks for any responses,

John

35remington
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Oh, geez. The fur's gonna fly.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the quality of the post 64 Winchester 94's was kinda spotty, and the cast receivers were impossible to reblue via normal methods. Some of the casts parts had a purplish hue. Normally the 94 was a little lighter, slimmer arm (thinner forend and no pistol grip, most instances) than the Marlin is now.

Some of the 94 levers look kinda stamped.

New? Marlin's the only game in town, discounting the new Mossberg sorta 94 clone.

336's rattle less due to the lever detent.

No accuracy or functioning differences that I can see. Many 94's were hard to scope before the AE versions were introduced.

I'd get one of both, not one or the other. Since that's not a possibility, I must say Marlin is making a very well finished gun lately that is a quality product, and quite reasonably priced. All steel and walnut, and you can't say that about many guns these days.

Scopes are an abomination on a levergun but the option is there should he want it.

ktw
01-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Tell him to buy the Marlin.

We need to keep the new-to-levergun people from bidding up the prices on used Winchesters.

-ktw

Marlinreloader
01-06-2009, 11:05 PM
This should get something going, I just got the following e-mail and I thought you guys could put some insight on it. Remember this guy will probably be shooting factory ammo so jacketed is probably the word. Here's the e-mail.

I have been looking at Winchester 94's and Marlen 336's... In your opinion, which is best? Marlin seems better made and the lever action is MUCH smoother...

Anyway, look forward to your recommendation

Thanks for any responses,

John

I have a few of both. If the person is asking and shooting factory ammo have them get a Marlin 336 and shoot Hornady Lever. Probably not collecting yet so this would be a great first Lever. Can't go wrong either way but to pick just one would be this.

Marlinreloader

JohnH
01-07-2009, 12:11 AM
How about suggesting he pick the one he likes? Both rifles have very distingushed histories. Both have served their owners in this and other nations very well. They have both been chambered in the same and similar cartridges. While the Marlin is more scope mounting friendly, the Winchester is (at least to me) a better carrying gun even when both are wearing just irons sights. I like that I can single load the Winchester from the top easily. But any differences beyond mounting a scope are more personal taste in nature than differences that actually mean something. He'd tire of shooting either one long before he wore it out, and if he is into "survivalism" there will always be a supply of ammo for it. Some 6 million of the '94 were made and I imagine the 336 is not far behind. One must also consider how many rifles have come and gone during the time that these were/are being made and sold.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I've had both, only have 2 M94s now. I have the m94 Carbine i got for my 14th birthday in '61 and a M94AE Black Shadow (Like a M64 only with composite stocks) I picked up last year. I really like both but over the years have found the M94s to be slimmer and lighter as mentioned. I've also found them a little more forgiving for the faster 30-30 cast bullet loads due to the 12" twist and standard rifling of the M94s.

I have been eyeing one of the new Marlins in SS with laminated stocks and 24" barrel. With the Ballard rifling (is it 10 or 12" twist?) it should do very nicely with cast bullets. I'd recommend that one for a "new" lever action 30-30 if a 24" barreled M94 was not to be found. Also as mentioned, if the guy is just going to use factory ammo I recommend that rifle and Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo. It is worth the few extra bucks for hunting. Out of my M94AE it exceeds published velocity (6 shots averaged 2452 fps with an ES of 18 fps!) and accuracy was 1.5" for the 7 shots.

Larry Gibson

Box13
01-07-2009, 12:20 AM
If its his first lever gun and hes gonna hunt it then get the marlin.If he learns to hunt with it and really likes it then he should get a pre 64 winchester.The 94 will only go up in value if he takes care of it.The marlin is a very well made gun that will do as good if not better then the 94 and is a workhorse.If hes in a rainy or damp area of the country get the stainless version.I have both and each one is my favorite..Robin

bobk
01-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I like the fact that you can clean the Marlin from the breech end. The easy bolt removal makes boresighting easy, too. I'd have to do some cerrosafe casting to confirm a suspicion of mine, but I think the Marlin chambers are a bit less oversize.
Bob K

Old Ironsights
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I like the Round Bolt Marlins and the 1886/1892 Winnys.

I dislike Square Bolt Marlins and Gut Shucking Winnys.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Junior1942
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I like the fact that you can clean the Marlin from the breech end. The easy bolt removal makes boresighting easy, too. I'd have to do some cerrosafe casting to confirm a suspicion of mine, but I think the Marlin chambers are a bit less oversize.
Bob K

Neck-sized rounds from my brother's Marlin won't chamber in my Winchester.

Old Ironsights
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I like the fact that you can clean the Marlin from the breech end. ...

Use a Bore Snake/Otis and you can clean a Winny from the Breech too...

Boerrancher
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Tell him to buy a Mod 99 Savage if he wants a real Lever gun.

Best wises from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Old Ironsights
01-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Them's Leverguns for Snipers... what with the fancy boattail spitzers they shoot...

Larry Gibson
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Them's Leverguns for Snipers... what with the fancy boattail spitzers they shoot...

With them LeveRevolution bullets they sure is. Of course the M99 (assuming you mean in 30-30 also) can use other spitzers also. However since Hornady has released the 160 gr LeveRevolution bullets for reloading (Midways current flyer has them) the M99 in 30-30 has little advantage even though it is a nice lever action also. If you've ever read Paco Kelly's writings on the 30-30 in M94s he snipped the points off 130 gr spitzers and used them. However, if we're talking cast bullets then it boils down to the action type and handling charactorisics. I won't turn any of 'em down if anyone wants to give me one they don't like:wink:

Larry Gibson

Old Ironsights
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
My first M99(e) was in .308 Win... a touch more of a sniper than a .30-30... ;)

That's the advantage of the 99. Box/rotary mag. I'd say the same of the Win 1895, but i like the lines of the 99 better.

Larry Gibson
01-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Old Ironsights

Got to admit that. But I'm wondering how much advantage a M99 .308W has against the new Marlin/Hornady cartridge loaded with LeveRevoluntion 160 gr bullets. Or how about one chambered in .307W?

However this thread was about "94 v 336". That kind of excludes the M99, BLR, M95 and the M1886 along with the M88 and the new Mossberg. We'll be hijacking the thread if we go off on another tangent. A new thread considering the possibilities of all the above might be interesting.

Larry Gibson

Old Ironsights
01-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Yer right. Sorry for the hijack.

mainiac
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
I would buy the marlin hands down. You can take the bolt out and clean from the breech end,very simply.Also,the marlin is very simple to work on the trigger.Cant say if they shoot as well as a win, but they are much more user friendly.

Boerrancher
01-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Well since it seems like my attempt to Hijack this thread and convince John to tell his friend to forget Marlins and Winchesters and buy a Savage has failed, I would say buy what ever one fits his needs the best. The positives and negatives of each has been well pointed out for each of the rifles.

I myself don't have the Marlin and not because I don't think it is a good gun. I consider a 30-30 to be a light weight carry to work gun, that doesn't require a scope. It goes with me on the tractor, the 4 wheeler, and the truck. The marlin is just not as nice to carry around while mendin' fence, or checking up on the livestock. Since I have an older 94, I don't ever worry about even considering mounting a scope on it. Scopes don't belong on a work gun.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Johnw...ski
01-09-2009, 03:24 PM
You don't have to convince me on 99's, I have had as many as 16 at one time.
They are a great rifle and although I admire their look greatly they don't don't have what most people consider the right look.

I don't know what the pricing situation is today but when I was actively collecting in the 70's and 80's a new 94 or 336 could be had for $99 a very used 99 would be about $150. I won't get into if they are that much better a rifle but they certainly cost more. BTW I still shoot the 4 I have left.

John

Well since it seems like my attempt to Hijack this thread and convince John to tell his friend to forget Marlins and Winchesters and buy a Savage has failed, I would say buy what ever one fits his needs the best. The positives and negatives of each has been well pointed out for each of the rifles.

I myself don't have the Marlin and not because I don't think it is a good gun. I consider a 30-30 to be a light weight carry to work gun, that doesn't require a scope. It goes with me on the tractor, the 4 wheeler, and the truck. The marlin is just not as nice to carry around while mendin' fence, or checking up on the livestock. Since I have an older 94, I don't ever worry about even considering mounting a scope on it. Scopes don't belong on a work gun.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

bobk
01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Junior,
How old is your 94? I have a 50 year old one that it practically new, but sloppy.
Bob K

bobk
01-11-2009, 09:30 PM
OI,
Have to check that out. I do have a "94", actually a 55 (which is confusing, since Win also had a single shot .22 that also used that #) in .32. They did sort of a generic special order 94. 24", half mag, takedown. Not cherry, but I have a fondness for it.
Bob K