PDA

View Full Version : MP Molds Are Beautiful!

Buzzard II
07-21-2021, 03:28 PM
I just received my MP mold today and it is a beautiful work of art! This is the first mold I've purchased from MP and it will not be the last! I hope to be using it soon. Money well spent.
Bob:-D

Super quick delivery too! Ordered on Friday, got delivery the following Wednesday!

hermans
07-21-2021, 04:04 PM
I just received my MP mold today and it is a beautiful work of art! This is the first mold I've purchased from MP and it will not be the last! I hope to be using it soon. Money well spent.
Bob:-D

Super quick delivery too! Ordered on Friday, got delivery the following Wednesday!

I have a couple of his molds too...not only are they are super good looking, but they also cast superbly good boolits!

Buzzard II
07-21-2021, 05:30 PM
I have a couple of his molds too...not only are they are super good looking, but they also cast superbly good boolits!

How should I prep the mold for first time use? Mine is an aluminum round ball mold. Thanks.
Bob

AggieEE
07-21-2021, 05:48 PM
When I got my first MP mold I didn't want to put a patina on it. I wanted to put it on a pedestal and just admire it as a work of art. While heavy the do cast like a dream. Just to be fair and balanced, I have a couple of Accurate molds that are also great. Enjoy them for your lifetime.

Walks
07-21-2021, 06:02 PM
Yep, GORGEOUS

Buzzard II
07-21-2021, 07:03 PM
Yeah, but how should I prep the aluminum round ball mold for first use?

Minerat
07-21-2021, 09:29 PM
I usually just clean wuth soap and an old tooth brush the spray with break cleaner. Then heat the mould on a hot plate while the leas is melting and start casting. For brass I heat to 400° and cool thru 4 cycles until it gets a light bronze pantina.

Buzzard II
07-22-2021, 10:17 AM
I usually just clean wuth soap and an old tooth brush the spray with break cleaner. Then heat the mould on a hot plate while the leas is melting and start casting. For brass I heat to 400° and cool thru 4 cycles until it gets a light bronze pantina.

Minerat,
Thanks very much!
Bob

Mal Paso
07-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but how should I prep the aluminum round ball mold for first use?

Preheat on a hotplate with a steel plate on the coils to distribute the heat to about 400F and start casting. Any machine oil will evaporate. Without preheat those 6 or 8 sprues will be hard to cut.

Minerat
07-22-2021, 10:20 AM
You're welcome sorry for my atrocious spelling.:)

Buzzard II
07-22-2021, 03:01 PM
Not a problem. I appreciate the info!
Bob

B y r o n
07-26-2021, 09:06 PM

Not meant to hijack the thread but I just got my first MP mold today. As others have said, real works of art. To the point, is this the color/patina we're looking for? First photo is as delivered and washed, second is heat cycled 5 times on hot plate to 400 - 450 degrees.

Can't wait to start using it.

Mal Paso
07-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Not meant to hijack the thread but I just got my first MP mold today. As others have said, real works of art. To the point, is this the color/patina we're looking for? First photo is as delivered and washed, second is heat cycled 5 times on hot plate to 400 - 450 degrees.

Can't wait to start using it.

Looks Good!

Welcome to the Forum!

Buzzard II
07-28-2021, 12:20 PM
I just got on a waiting list for a MP bevel base copy of the H&G 68 . There is one H&G 68 flat base on flea bay that is just too expensive to justify purchasing. The MP molds are works of art and priced very reasonable. If you're a collector, that MAY justify the H&G, but as a caster, MP is less than half the price of the H&G and it's a proven winner to cast with.

John Boy
07-28-2021, 02:24 PM
Many Sold Outs & limited calibers … look nice though

Buzzard II
07-28-2021, 09:48 PM
Many Sold Outs & limited calibers … look nice though

John Boy,
Yeah you're right about the sold outs, but I can live with that. The juice is worth the squeeze.
Bob

Buzzard II
08-09-2021, 01:32 PM
True to word, I just ordered a previously back ordered MP 452-200 SWC 6 cavity Bevel Base clone of the H&G 68 mold. MP had 20 in stock so if you have been wanting a bevel base mold now is the time to jump on it. My last MP mold was a work of art and I hope to soon have another. Good shooting.
Bob

Received MP 452-200 SWC 6 cavity Bevel Base clone of H&G 68 mold. No problems. Again, I'm happy!

Old Caster
08-15-2021, 08:33 PM
Lee has a 6 cavity mold that is a bevel base 200 grain 45 mold that is very similar to H&G 68. I have one of the flat base that was only available in a group buy some years ago and it is very accurate and I use it for Bullseye shooting. I also have a Saeco 068 and 069. The 069 is the best of all molds I have tried but unless you are very serious about accuracy any will do. The difference between the 068 and 069 at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest is about 1/4 inch for 10 shot groups but that of course is pretty minuscule. Both are less than 2 inches out of my Les Baer target gun and the Lee is pretty close too. Usually I use the Lee for 25 yard timed and rapid fires and the 069 for 50 yard slow fire because it is a lot easier to make a bunch of bullets with the 6 cavity.

rintinglen
08-27-2021, 09:52 AM
When you first open the package and you pull out that golden beauty, you have to persuade yourself that it is a tool and not art. They look almost too nice to use.