PDA

View Full Version : BMT Mooner, just got one!

ddixie884
07-21-2021, 12:18 AM
Boy, I have been shooting .45acp in revolvers since my teens and I have never seen any method of loading and unloading moon clips that worked so well.............

georgerkahn
07-21-2021, 07:49 AM
Having a revolver in 10mm Auto as well as one in .45acp I "discovered" a "mooner" and a "de-mooner" purveyed by Dillon. Using a gifted certificate -- must have been twenty-five plus years back -- I ordered the set, and have been most pleased with the de-mooner. I am not familiar with the "BMT" brand... might you provide a photo and or a link?286419
I've added a photo of the current Dillon product. An added note is I, too, love the de-mooner; mostly, however, I generally snap cases into the clips just with my fingers...
geo

hporter
07-21-2021, 08:50 AM
I second Gary's opinion on the BMT moon clip tool. I have owned and used several, including the one that George referenced, and the BMT beats all of them hands down.

The website is http://www.bmtequipped.com.

They look like this:

You drop the cartridges in the trough, and simply turn the knob to load them into the clip. To remove the cases, you flip the unit over and spin the loaded clip on the back side to instantly pop them out.

They are relatively expensive, but after spending the same amount of money buying several other types of clip loaders over the years, I wish I would have started with them.

30Carbiner
07-21-2021, 08:52 AM
I love my BMT. It’s really fast to demoon then remoon a clip. You don’t even have to touch the clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30Carbiner
07-21-2021, 08:58 AM
I found a good video on YouTube

https://youtu.be/mS8VjUbOEdM

The guy shows mooning then demooning a clip. Usually it’s the other way around. Put the clip with empties on the spinner and pop off the empties then turn the device around and load up the clip. Don’t have to touch the clip at all and it’s super fast and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edp2k
07-21-2021, 03:52 PM
Does anyone have any info on the Uberti 45 Schofield 45 ACP setup that the BMT website references?
I have never heard of a Schofield setup for 45 ACP.

georgerkahn
07-22-2021, 07:11 AM
Boy, I have been shooting .45acp in revolvers since my teens and I have never seen any method of loading and unloading moon clips that worked so well.............

Thanks for info on this. I ordered one in .45acp last eve and am excited to receive/try/use it. It does seem "worlds" better than what I have -- the Dillon. On the other hand Jerry Miculek has, in one of his YouTube videos, comments that his favourite and used mooner/de-mooning tools are a pair of slip-joint pliers to moon and a length (~8") of hydraulic tubing to de-moon ;). Whatever works, eh?
geo

ddixie884
07-22-2021, 07:43 AM
I used a set of needle nose pliers for years to moon and a piece of 1/2'' copper pipe to de-moon. Then got a better mooner in a deal when I bought a gun. The BMT is amazing.......

TNsailorman
07-22-2021, 10:33 AM
My son in law cut a piece of stainless tubing and welded the end up for me to just fit 6 .45acp cases in the tube. He cut a short step on one half of the tube to catch the rim to remove it. A simple twist does the trick and with very little effort. I drilled a screw driver handle blank from Craftsmen equipment to fit the tube, epoxied it into the handle and have been using it since the early 80's. Brownell's later brought out a copy of that tool and sold a bunch of them. It works great for de-mooning but does not help for the mooning process itself. I just ordered the mooner from BMT and now I wait to try it out. Thank you hporter for the link, it sold me. james

ddixie884
07-22-2021, 12:22 PM
Does anyone have any info on the Uberti 45 Schofield 45 ACP setup that the BMT website references?
I have never heard of a Schofield setup for 45 ACP.

The schofield set up is an altered cylinder to use standard moon clips......

T-K Customs machines cylinders.........

robertbank
07-22-2021, 01:48 PM
I just bought a BMT for my 10MM GP-100. A buddy of mine showed me his and I ordered mine that day. What an amazing piece of kit. The kit is pricey bit worth it.

I should add Ranch Products is now making a .040 thick moon clip for the GP-100 to allow the use of 40cal ammo i the 10MM. The .032 clips made for the 10MM brass did not work in my GP-100 when using 40cal brass.

Take Care

Bob

Nueces
07-22-2021, 02:10 PM
I also ordered a 45 Smith version after seeing this thread. I wonder if BMT notices a spike in interest?

LUBEDUDE
07-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Just visited the website and could not find one available for Ruger 10 mm GP 100 or SRH.

robertbank
07-23-2021, 11:24 AM
Just visited the website and could not find one available for Ruger 10 mm GP 100 or SRH.

It is listed there. I ordered one. Use the L 40 6 version shown for the S&W L frame. It will do the GP-100 10 MM as well I am told.

I wanted it to load 40 cartridges for my GP-100 10MM. I plan on using the revolver in IDPA SSR Division.

Take Care

Bob

Take Care

Bob

Jtarm
07-24-2021, 07:02 PM
Having a revolver in 10mm Auto as well as one in .45acp I "discovered" a "mooner" and a "de-mooner" purveyed by Dillon. Using a gifted certificate -- must have been twenty-five plus years back -- I ordered the set, and have been most pleased with the de-mooner. I am not familiar with the "BMT" brand... might you provide a photo and or a link?286419
I've added a photo of the current Dillon product. An added note is I, too, love the de-mooner; mostly, however, I generally snap cases into the clips just with my fingers...
geo

I have that same set, purchased about the same time as yours from Dillon.

The de-mooner is California Competition Works.

BBMF1
07-24-2021, 08:41 PM
G'day from Downunder[smilie=s:

G'day All , I have had a BMT mooner/demooner for years and use it for my S&W Jerry Miculek 4" N frame and I love it , the only problem is I love using it so much I have been guilty of mooning all my clips and then demooning them so I can do it again as it is so much fun to use :groner:

Regards Paul . :)