PDA

View Full Version : My first 22 Hornet

Stephen Cohen
07-20-2021, 05:55 AM
Well today I loaded up the factory Hornet ammo I shot off, my hat is off to those who this cartridge often as it is a fiddly game to play. I found less is best when it comes to lube on the case and inside de burring is a must. In spite of the difficulty it is a wonderful round to play with. Now that I have some formed shells it is time to try cast from the CBE mould I have, I think a specially made belling button will be necessary with cast. Regards Stephen

starnbar
07-23-2021, 08:41 AM
Try to stay with the lighter bullets if you have an old rifle my Winchester shot best with a 45 grain bullet the newer rifles are tighter twist but not in the 222,223 range.

richhodg66
07-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Been doing cast with the Hornet using a Lee Universal Expander, cheap and worked fine, but I have since gotten a Lyman M die which I haven't used much. Been away from the Hornets for a while, I need to get back to them.

One of the more fun cartridges to me, though I only shoot it downloaded to rimfire levels with cast.

hoodat
07-23-2021, 08:56 AM
I've got no Hornet hate, but when I see that fragile little case compared to my Bee brass, I wonder why the Bee dropped into obscurity.

I've got Bee brass that I've had since I was a kid, and have no idea how many loadings on them. Brass for the Bee is now being made by Hornady, but I haven't tried any yet.

One thing is certain, and that is that the basic power level of both Hornet and Bee is simply a sweet thing to experience. I love the stubby little Hornady 35 gr v-max, and use my cast Lyman 45 gr for reduced loads. jd

richhodg66
07-23-2021, 09:06 AM
I've got no Hornet hate, but when I see that fragile little case compared to my Bee brass, I wonder why the Bee dropped into obscurity.

I've got Bee brass that I've had since I was a kid, and have no idea how many loadings on them. Brass for the Bee is now being made by Hornady, but I haven't tried any yet.

One thing is certain, and that is that the basic power level of both Hornet and Bee is simply a sweet thing to experience. I love the stubby little Hornady 35 gr v-max, and use my cast Lyman 45 gr for reduced loads. jd

I got a .218 Bee a while back, and though I haven't done much with it yet, I have to agree with you that it seems strange it died and the Hornet flourished.

I think I'm gonna pull that rifle out this weekend and mess around with some loads for it. Might have to load some jacketed (gasp!) in it first.

firefly1957
07-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Last year i was looking at one of the Taurus Raging Hornets in 22 Hornet I read some good on them but they are discontinued . I asked online about them and almost everyone said the chambers messed up the cases to much to reload for them .

I swage my own .22 caliber bullets from empty 22 long rifle cases and my dies make bullets to 35 grains so I thought it would be a good choice for a fun gun.