PDA

View Full Version : New toy

Gussy
01-05-2006, 06:03 PM
I just picked up a Remington rolling block in 8X58R Danish Krag. I did a search but did not find anything. Anyone shooting one of these? I haven't checked the twist yet, heck, I haven't even got it home yet. The bore looks near new, very good old gun. I got it for a conversion, but..... gotta shoot it first!!!

Been kind of out of the loop for a month or two working on my house. No, it's not done yet. Laying tile and hardwood flooring now (over the next 2 weeks). Depends on my back and knees...........
Gus

NVcurmudgeon
01-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Gussy, that's a real find! Powderburner recently aquired one, also. I don't know if he is shooting it yet, but he was posting about it. If you want to try samples of an ancient Lyman 32360, (IIRC) 240 gr. PB multi groove, let me know. As powderburner does not seem to be a prolific poster, he may not look in here every day. Maybe a PM will be the best way to get hold of him. Good luck and quick progress on the house. Yes, it can be a real PITA, but you wind up with exactly what you want.

45 2.1
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
I just picked up a Remington rolling block in 8X56R Danish Krag. I did a search but did not find anything. Gus

Gus-
Try searching for the 8x58R Danish Krag and you should find something. The 8x56R is the Hungarian Mannlicher. COTW lists it having a 237 gr. military loading with a 0.322" bullet at 1968 fps. Various Norma loadings of 159 gr., 196 gr. and 198 gr.

Gussy
01-05-2006, 10:08 PM
My mistake, yes it is an 8X58R Danish Krag not 8X56. Was this a black powder loaded round originally?
Gus

powderburnerr
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Gussy I have shot it quite a bit I started with 4570 brass but had to turn the head both in dia and thickness then I shot off the necks after three loadings . BA has the brass but I was given 50 762x54R cases I blew out and loaded .I been using a 200 gn victory schutzen bullet and a case full of Black the bullet runs about 10 inches then jumps the lands . I have an old win mould that throws a 165 gn bullet and it shot fair with 12 gns unique .My bore is perfect but the throat is waaaaay long I seat the schutzen bullet with just the base in the case and it doesnt touch the lands yet ,it also seems that these 762 cases are giving up in the necks as well .my chamber appears to be radiused instead of standard tapered like the pictures show gonna have to cerrosafe it I guess, It looks like it would look good as a 50 70 carbine or maybe a 50-90 I cannot get too interested in the 8mm weenie bullet , but the gun handles real nice . mine has a remington action........ Dean

rocklock
01-05-2006, 10:53 PM
If you haven't seen it yet, go to http://www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/858rd.html .

The Dutchman is the one that got me started with the Swede Rollers.

Gussy
01-06-2006, 03:11 AM
Rocklock, great site. My rifle is "pictured" on the page that shows the "sporterized models". The only difference is the front sight is not adjustable. All marking match as to the conversions and markings. Same 2 leaf rear sight, same stampings. Mine has the screws holding the pins. I will be ordering some brass soon for a trial run.

I did clean the bore tonight and the rifiling is very strong, some very light pitting, but nothing deep. The action is tight, all numbers match, even the butt plate.
Gus

drinks
01-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Gussy;
Bufalo Arms has 2 different cases, one has a thicker rim.
Both are costly.

Gussy
01-07-2006, 05:56 PM
drinks,
Yep, I just came from the site. The price of dies is what bothered me!! $75.00 plus delivered cost for the cheapest. This is for something I may or may not be keeping as is. Then a mould? Then more cases?

Any one out there with a set of used dies????? Mould?????? (I haven't slugged the bore yet or checked head space).

Today and tomorrow is the Spokane gun show. I will be up there and looking for goodies. May get lucky.
Gus

drinks
01-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Gussy;
If the groove diameter is close to the .322 reported, a bunch of molds are around, Lee has a gas check for very little, an 8mm die of most any sort could be used to more or less neck size a case, if you had one, a die or a case, that is.
Maybe start with 10gr Universal/Unique or 15 gr 2400 and see what happens .

powderburnerr
01-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Gussy ,the first 10 rounds I made I just drove into the chamber after annealing then trimmed the rims .The 7.62x54R brass I just annealed the neck run a 32 cal expander ball through it and seated a 165 gn bullet over 12 gn of unique . it didnt fire form the brass very well but did allow me to shoot the rifle when I used black and the 200 gn schutzen bullet it formed the neck a lot better but even annealing the cases the brass shows signs of splitting at the origional neck line of the 7.mm neck....... Dean

Gussy
01-08-2006, 11:59 PM
I didn't have any luck at the gun show. There was 2 boxes of loaded ammo on a table at $50.00/ but I passed. No dies. Buffalo arms lists single cases at $1.35. They also list 2 different head spaces. Next order, it might be worth $2.70 to find out the easy way.

Powderburner, I am listening to your experience. I have planned on shooting black powder in it. I'm wondering how long a factory case will last. I plan on annealing anything I get before firing to help extend the life.

Actually, I think this thing may end up as a 38-50 Hepburn....... unless it REALLY shoots good.
Gus

Buckshot
01-09-2006, 02:11 AM
..............Headspace? Isn't this case rimmed? By either turning a very slight amount off the top/front edge of the rim you reduce it. By turning brass or aluminum rings and Loc-Titeing them to the top/front of the rim you can increase it.

If the Russian 7.62x54R works, what about the longer 8x56R M31 Hungarian for the straight pull Steyr's? Until it became available people used the Russian case, even though it was about .100" too short for the 8x56R chamber.

Since the M31 is 56mm long, if the chamber is narrower then the case at some point, the 56mm length may grow enough to be alomost perfect? In any event, it IS longer then the Rooski.

.................Buckshot

Frank46
01-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Gussy, check out Huntinton's web site. They showed the danish cases but no prices. Saw thia in the Gun List. Frank

powderburnerr
01-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Gussy

I have 3 loadings on the 7.62x 54R and they are showing signs of cracking .the brass was given to me or I would have bought the BA stuff or some 8x56R .
Out of the first 10 45-70'I converted I have 2 left. It tore off a part of the case at the lower radius of the neck and went down bore with the bullet .
I tried 2F and 1F but both seem to push the 200 gn bullet too hard causing it to jump the rifleing ,I have cast up some WW slugs to see if they will hold better and have shot a few of the porteguese 8 mm spitzer condoms in it with fair results,these also with black the lighter bullets seem to do better in mine as far as brass life . I still need to make a chamber cast .maybe I'll do that today

..Dean

powderburnerr
01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Made a chamber cast with about 5 inches of rifling and ran out of crosaf e before I got to the rim but the throat was what I wanted to measure

From start of rifling to full depth is a .2oo5 taper of rifling
from mouth of neck to start of rifling .552.5 leade
neck length .4805
throat dia .344.5 at neck end
.3215 at start of rifling
313 bore
323 groove
approx 1in 12 pitch

cerrosafe setting 15 min or so FWIW......... Dean

rbreit
04-13-2006, 04:36 PM
powderburner -- thanks for the chamber cast data. I have been looking into one of these 8x58s and trying to find out what bullet would work with these generous throats. What about the 8mm Max seated way out? Also, how do you determine the correct thickness of the rims as Buffalo has both 0.060" and 0.070"? It looks like it should easily match the .33 WCF or .35 WCF ballistically and make a nice light stillhunting deer rifle.

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2006, 06:08 PM
havent heard from you in a long time pal how ya been?

Gussy
04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Lloyd, been busy. I'm trying to finish my house. You know the old saying about it's hard to remember you're trying to drain the swamp when you're ass deep in aligators. Well, the aligator wants to move in, so all else is in standby.

I looked at pictures of your new cannon. That thing needs a longer barrel and a butt stock!!

About the original thread, that roller ended up at the gunsmiths. It's being transformed into a 38-55. If I can find a throating reamer it'll be a "38-55 Long" so it'll reach a 1000 yds easier.

Good hearing from you,
Gus

Lloyd Smale
04-14-2006, 06:07 AM
anymore of your slick inovations on the horizon?

powderburnerr
04-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Rbriet: dont know about the 8 max my schutzen bullet is a 210 gn long sucker and it wont catch the rifleing seated with the bottom band in the case mouth .

the rims, I just turned down the 45-70 brass until the action closed and the hammer would release . the 54 r cases are a little small but work , buckshots talk of the 8x 56 is a good idea as well and I just didnt have any of them but had the 54 cases . hopes this helps ..............Dean

Gussy
04-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I did make some cases out of 45-70 and turned the rims to work on the roller. It shot fine, but I just didn't want to spend the time and money on it. Decided to rebarrel to the 38-55 which I'm already set up for.

Lloyd, note the last statement, "everything else is on standby". I have a notebook with several things. I even have a prototype or two I'm using. When the house is done to the "boss's" satisfaction, I'll get back the mill and lathe for some good projects.

I know most here like nice wood. I will eventually post some pictures of the hardwood floor. It is "off grade" ash. Much color and grain. Not your average looking floor.
Gus