PDA

View Full Version : Which bullet jacket brands do you prefer and why?

Darth-Vaj
07-18-2021, 09:53 PM
What brand do you guys like? What brands are out there? And why do you choose that brand?

Walks
07-18-2021, 10:14 PM
Sierra has given Excellent accuracy for me for 60+yrs. Great on Antelope too.
Nosler Partition almost as accurate. Wonderful on Hogs, took down My first Elk with one shot, 180grs in a .30-06. A 5x6 in Colorado 1970.

cwtebay
07-18-2021, 10:32 PM
Berger and Rocky Mountain are awesome for longer range work, hard to not mention Woodleigh for probably everything else.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

TrxR
07-20-2021, 10:14 AM
Hines makes good jackets as well

toallmy
07-20-2021, 01:34 PM
Well I started up on Sierra but over the years I have sorta switched over to Speer because it seams like Sierra wanted to change me 10 dollars more a hundred just because they put their name on the box . But lately Hornady has been getting my attention a lot more .
I pick the style and weight of the bullet I am interested in shooting than I try a few to see if my rifle likes them .
My reply was about bullets commercially manufactured not jackets , my mistake .

Cowhide
07-20-2021, 01:47 PM
I was taught to reload using Hornady bullets in 1991 and while I do use Sierra for my M1 Garand loads I stick with Hornady for all of my other Jacket bullet needs.

Red River Rick
07-20-2021, 04:47 PM
I use J4 jackets for rifle bullets and Speer jackets (when I can get them) for pistol bullets.
There's not much to choose from up here, so I usually have a relative bring them up when they visit.

RRR

Copperman
07-21-2021, 06:34 AM
What jackets l use, basically at the present time, what ever you can find, J4, Sierra & Hinse Tactical all rifle jackets. But prefer Sierra, point-up great, and Sierra are getting more available (when you can find them) But some issues l have found with Sierra jackets that, some are a bit tarnished, and washing
But…..the issues are different manufacturers, means need more punches to suit,($’s��) or as l have recently found a smaller core diameter ��
Happy Bullet Swaging

rcslotcar
07-21-2021, 11:38 AM
I use what ever I can find. I like Sierra best and J4 a very close second. I also use derimed .22lr brass. I recently found about 9 thousand Sierra .224/705 at a good price. These work excellent with my BT Sniper dies. And Yes they need to be polished before swaging starts.

onomrbil
07-28-2021, 10:35 AM
I have used J4 jackets for a long time. I also use Hines Tactical when I can find the ones I want. Sierras are great but the selection on their web site is limited. Since Lapua took over at Berger, getting jackets directly has become problematic: they ship once a year and they put a minimum quantity requirement in place. Plus the reps have had an attitude the last couple of times I called. You will need to shop to find jackets of any brand right now. Have a look at Center X if you do not need large quantities. He is great to deal with.

KAYDADOG
07-29-2021, 04:19 AM
I've used RCE for 357/mag. 9/mm, 357/sig and 44/mag pistol. Before he went out of business I was able to purchase a combination of about 15/K jackets enough to probably last my lifetime. His prices were the best around. If I would have known he was going out of business I probably would have bought him out of all of them. To late now.
Now that I'm more heavily into swaging I use 9/mm drawn cases for 357/mag, 40/S&W cases for 45/ACP and 45/ACP for 50/AE and 500/S&W.
It's actually cheaper using cases for jackets than using gas checks for the price. Plus your making a fully jacketed bullet vs a cast bullet.
It's taken a few years to get to this point but the benefits of making your own bullets will last a lifetime.
If you could make your own primers that would make you 50% self sufficient.
Powder is the only other 50% component required to be 100% self sufficient.
Just some of the things accomplished over the last five years.

M-Tecs
07-29-2021, 05:38 AM
Sierra and J4 are the only ones I have used for rifle.

Some good comparisons here

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?88608-Bullet-Jackets

Win94ae
07-29-2021, 07:10 PM
Hornady, because they are cheaper... but any reputable brand on sale for cheaper, gets bought.

M-Tecs
07-29-2021, 08:04 PM
The OP asked about what bullet jackets are available and what you jackets manufactures you prefer in the swaging forum. He did not asked about jacketed bullets...................

cwtebay
07-29-2021, 10:34 PM
The OP asked about what bullet jackets are available and what you jackets manufactures you prefer in the swaging forum. He did not asked about jacketed bullets...................You're absolutely correct, and I didn't realize that until after I posted.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk