PDA

View Full Version : Water stains

abunaitoo
07-18-2021, 05:43 AM
I use lemishine and liquid car wash soap.
After drying I get light water stains.
It's not bad at all, but looks unclean.
Has anyone tried adding some anti water stain dish washer liquid????

GregLaROCHE
07-18-2021, 06:23 AM
Do you rinse well with plain water afterwards? I get stains after a citric acid bath, if I don’t rinse really well.

Sasquatch-1
07-18-2021, 06:32 AM
After wet tumbling and removing pins...I throw mine in the vibratory tumbler with Lizard litter and Nu Finish for a couple of hours to dry them. I also have some small neodymium magnets from old name tags thrown in to collect any errant pins. The brass comes out bright and shiny and delay tarnishing.

NyFirefighter357
07-18-2021, 09:09 AM
I rinse mine by wet tumbling without pins for a few minutes with clean water & a ceramic magnet. After the rinse I drain the water and add strips of car chamois and tumble another few minutes this gets the brass almost completely dry. I just pour them on a towel after to air dry. I sometimes wet tumble with Dawn but mostly car wash soap with wax but only add about 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid.

Mal Paso
07-18-2021, 10:28 AM
Water doesn't stain, it's minerals left behind. Try a final rinse of distilled or RO water and car wash n' wax.

Nueces
07-18-2021, 11:53 AM
I solved this problem with my nasty, though softened, well water by doing a short second tumble using ArmorAll Wash'n'Wax and LemiShine. Then I shake the cases in a towel and dry in a warm oven. No water spots and no tarnish after months of storage.

fatelk
07-18-2021, 12:41 PM
I tumble with a little lemishine and Dawn dish soap. After tumbling I remove the pins and rinse thoroughly in cold water. I then add a little wash-and-wax to cold, clean water, and swirl them around in that for a minute. Then I brush most of the bubbles off the water, drain it, and put the brass directly into an old food dehydrator we've had laying around for years. They come out very nice.

The dehydrator is just an inexpensive one that we used to use. I've been seeing "brass dryers" lately that are the identical thing, just relabeled and more expensive.

rockrat
07-18-2021, 12:53 PM
I my final rinse is with distilled water. Then dump on some paper towels

Dusty Bannister
07-18-2021, 02:04 PM
I use pretty much the same washing solution in the wet media tumbler but after cleaning, I rinse well, and then run through a rotating media cleaner to shake out the water and pins. Then toss in some rags, old wash cloths, lost socks and that dries off the exterior of the cases. I used to do the towel sling, but this is easier for me. Then dump the cases on drying trays. No water droplets, you get no water chemical stains.

Dieselhorses
07-18-2021, 02:18 PM
After wet tumbling, I separate pins from brass and toss brass inside a large pillow sham. Empty that onto a towel and dries fast in blazing sun. As mentioned post #5 it's minerals. Water doesn't even conduct electricity without minerals.

Walks
07-18-2021, 10:28 PM
2nd on the distilled water.

abunaitoo
07-19-2021, 02:10 AM
It's not all that bad.
Don't want to make more work.
I'm going to try some dishwasher, no water spot, soap.
Works with glasses, should work with brass.
I hope.

GregLaROCHE
07-19-2021, 03:22 AM
It's not all that bad.
Don't want to make more work.
I'm going to try some dishwasher, no water spot, soap.
Works with glasses, should work with brass.
I hope.

That’s a good idea. Let us know you results.

kevin c
07-19-2021, 03:38 AM
Nueces and Dieselhorses mention the same technique I use: towel drying the case exteriors.

I rinse well after using citric acid and ArmorAll Wash and Wax (3-4 rinses), spin the cases in a media separator after draining the last rinse to knock out most of the water, and then tumble the cases back and forth in a towel sling to remove visible beads of water. Air drying in wire racks in the sun gets them shiny without the spotting I got before I started drying the case exteriors.

David2011
07-19-2021, 04:18 AM
Another option is to dry tumble with corn cob+NuFinish+mineral spirits after the citric acid. The brass stays shiny for years and it reduces friction when resizing.

dale2242
07-19-2021, 01:40 PM
1. Wet tumble until clean.
2. Separate pins and brass.
3. Rinse several times in clean tap water.
4. Roll them between towels to remover excess water that will cause stains.
5. Dry the in the dehydrator in the winter.
6. Dry them in the sun on a dark towel in the summer sun.
I do not get stains by rolling the brass between 2 towels prior to drying.

rockshooter
07-21-2021, 03:33 PM
I turn the light off on the reloading bench. Water-spotted brass seems to work just fine.
Loren

abunaitoo
07-21-2021, 04:15 PM
I don't care about the water spots.
But some people just can't help themselves, and comment about it.
They shoot fine to me.
Went to the store to find some "no water stain" soap.
Couldn't find anything I liked.
Thinking about it, I'm going to try a "no water stain" car wash and wax.