PDA

View Full Version : Get them if you can.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I just happened to get into Wally World yesterday for 1600 # 11 capps for $3 a can, roughly 15$ a K less than even a good bulk price.

Three years ago I got 2500 CCI musket caps for 10$, also on closeout.

N.B........... Wally does not like to carry such things over.

BvT

ebner glocken
01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
I bought 1K of them a few months ago @ 39 bucks. Buy all you can @ 15/K.

Ebner

oldhickory
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks Baron!

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
They stock them here year round so there is never any deals.

home in oz
01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Our local super walmarts quit carrying them.

mooman76
01-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I can make my own.

WickedGoodOutdoors
01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
I can make my own.

OK You have to tell us with pictures how you make musket caps

http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa282/Newenglandcharters/th_recruiting_poster.jpg

waksupi
01-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a Forester Tap o can cap maker, but consider it a last resort type thing. Canadian toy caps are recommended, which aren't that easy to get in the states. What bothers me most about this type of cap, is the tendency of the cap primer going off when being placed in the cup. I always have twitches, when I think of having one go off when being seated on the nipple. I do have the chemicals for alternative primer, just haven't made any.

mooman76
01-07-2009, 10:51 PM
I made #11 caps not musket but it was like Waksupi said. I never had a problem with them going off on accident but I didn't use them allot. They only work good with true BP and I had a hard time getting it at the time. I settled for using them to dry fire my gun. I always pop a few caps before I load to dry out the barrel and help insure my first lod going off or going off when it should instead of a hang fire.
Theres kind of a funny story behind it. This was about 15 years ago but I did find some toy caps and since they aren't used as much as they once were you don't get much selection and the ones I found weren't of the best quality. The little explosive part of the cap you can see in the paper forms like a bubble. Some weren't shaped very good and I didn't give it much thought. You make the caps out of aluminum cans by cutting them into strips and using a punch that forms the little cup shape. You take a paper punch and punch out the bubble in the cap and then you insert that into the cup to make a cap. You can use several if you want to alter the strength of the cap. Anyway I'm sitting on the couch watching TV and merrily punching out caps to use when one of the misshappen caps ignites from the metal punch scrapping it when punched. By then I already had a box full of caps and a chain reaction was set off and the force tossed burning caps everywhere. Scared the S3!t out of me and singed the heck out of the couch cusion.
Of coarse I did the honerable thing and protected the wifes feelings by flipping it over. Worked good too until one day when something was spilled on the cushion over a year latter and the wife saw. My kids pointed straight at me and I had to confess. Rotten kids for finking! Anyway that was that for awhile.

357maximum
01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the tip Baron :mrgreen:...WalMart in Greenville MI just ran out of them at 3bucks a tin[smilie=1:.....:twisted:brought the last 6 tins home with me:twisted:.

oldhickory
01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Our "Wally-World" was out of them, BUT!...They had A LOT of hunting and shooting stuff on clearance! The Mrs. and I came home with 3 bags full of camo T-shirts, ($2.50 ea.) camo sweat shirts, ($3.50 ea.), and camo sweat pants, ($3.50 ea.). I also bought a TC in-line capper for my Ruger Old Army for $2.00, so it wasn't a wasted trip after all!:mrgreen: