PDA

View Full Version : Been playing in the shop

country gent
07-17-2021, 11:24 AM
I'm finally getting the new shop up and useable. A lot of organizing and things to go but getting closer.
I made a hub wrench and dressing block for the surface grinder. Need to make some hubs now. Also wouldn't hurt to grind the chuck in. But on a all hand surface grinder that 6" X 12" chuck is a lot of cranking.

Made a zero it style indicator mount for use in the mill. It really works well and is a solid mount. Several small tap handles. The bridge port is a solid machine and working to the numbers its right there.

Am currently working on mounting a 5c collet chuck on the 8" rotary table. Ive got it ready to indicate in and lock down once I can get it in the mill. I think this will be handier than a chuck since milling wont be filling the chuck with chips.

It is really feeling good to put the skills back to use again.

deltaenterprizes
07-17-2021, 03:14 PM
I am still working on getting my shop arranged since I moved 4 years ago!

country gent
07-17-2021, 03:23 PM
Well between the new garage moving machines new benches and storage Im going on just over 2 years, closer but not done yet

Hdskip
07-17-2021, 07:17 PM
To save grinding the whole magnetic chuck get a smaller magnetic transfer block and grind it when you use it. It is a whole lot less cranking. I used this trick many times in my grinding career.

country gent
07-17-2021, 07:54 PM
I have both magnetic vee blocks and the 1-2-4 magnetic blocks. I have done this also in the shop. I dont think its out to far. Its an old delta rockwell grinder but in the home shop It does what I need.

We reworked an old die set to stamp the plates from throttle plate coils once every couple years it would get set up and a bucket of brass plates and bucket of steel plates ran and stored in the crib This was thin plate coils around 093 thick made a very fine pole block.

Three44s
07-18-2021, 03:03 PM
CG,

I am glad you are finally getting to enjoy your shop. It sure has been a long hard slog for you!

Three44s

country gent
07-18-2021, 06:35 PM
Yes but it really feels good to be doing something again. Im not fast but then again working from the chair changes a lot.

When I put the cut in the clamp for the zero it mount I was in my geo chair this is a small light chair for standard surfaces. I put a thinned (.010) hacksaw blade in the saw frame and started the cut. Once in and I started to push it the chair was moving back and forth more than the saw. Dont have this problem with the Track chair LOL

Today worked on a tap wrench.

country gent
07-26-2021, 07:58 AM
Finished a couple small tap wrenches yesterday. Started setting up a drawer cabinet for taps. Each drawer has a tap set starting plug and bottom, tap drill, body drill, counter bore in it. When I need a set I can take the complete drawer to where Im working. There will be a drawer with set of countersinks.

Next project is a new collet wrench for the mill. 3/4 6 point socket 3/4" long brass slug on the back with a 12 -14" handle. this will allow me to loosen collet flip and tap with a soft face to release collet. Socket will be pressed and pinned into handle same with brass face. I may even add an 11/16" socket to the other end but my mills readout is over the stops t slot so I dont really need it.