PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first batch of boolits today

putteral
01-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone, Just got back from the range today after shooting my first batch that I casted. They were Lee 200 gr SWC and RNFP in .45. I was pretty impressed with myself. Very accurate in both my Charles Daly EFS and my Taurus 24/7 Pro. No leading at all with just tumble lubing both boolits. Can't wait to shooy some more. I think I'll have to get a 9mm mold next.

j20owner
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
So you got a lee 200-rf mold? That's what I've got on order from Widener's. I can't wait to get it and start production. I just hope they fit my DW.

Halo_Ranger
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
What was your COL for the RNFP's?

putteral
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
The crimp line came to about 1.183. Feed fine so far and makes nice round holes in the target.
I got my molds from Natchez. They were the only one who had stock. $16.99 + shipping

DanOH
01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Funny you should mention that LEE 200 rf. Santa brought me a six banger and I just fired my 1st batch yesterday through my Kimber 1911.
They do cut REALLY clean holes like a full wadcutter.
I loaded them to 1.145" if memory serves me right...really short stubby mean looking things. HUGE meplat! Seated so the crimp grove not visble per other postings I had read.
Loaded on top of some obscure surplus powder I bought some years ago (Jeff Bartlet NM04) they chronoed at 840fps. Functioned perfectly and pretty accurate considering the cold (24 degrees).
Big thumbs up for the Lee 45 200fp!
Thanks Dad!

docone31
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey PutterAl, you ever get up to Hernando Sportsman Club?
I really like my 200gnRF. All my 1911s like the way it makes those neat holes. My Commander is a little high and to the left with it, otherwise it is great.
A well behaved mold also. Pours great, they fall out without effort.

putteral
01-06-2009, 05:08 PM
I am a member there. It is only 15 minutes from my house. Great facility and guys! Best bullet for accuracy out of my 24/7 so far. Loves those crisp holes.My EFS likes the SWC'S a little better.

docone31
01-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I am a member also. A little further for me to drive. About an hour, but, great guys there. My wife and myself love it.
I bet we have met. We go most tuesdays.
We might be there next Tuesday. I have a new 10/22 I built for the wife, and I have to sight in my Smelly. I had to redo the scope mount last week. Doing a bedding job pushed the POI right out of the aim point, period.
My wife keeps me reloading. When she is on pistol with her 1911, she can really burn it up.
A labour of love.
Hope we meet up one day.
I am real tall, and my wife is always with me. The range folks know us.
We fix some of their jewelery.

putteral
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I also go every Tuesday at the pistol range. I am their when they first open, shoot about 2 hrs. My wife likes to shoot .22lr sometimes. She doe not like getting up to early. Hope to see you their!

docone31
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
We get there about 11:00 to noon. Usually at the 100yds. That is where I do my paper patch load work. Got the patches dialed in, now to sight em in.
We will have to get in touch to meet up.
We get there, I get their bacon/egg roadkill sandwich, we then spend the day trying to put a single hole on our paper plate. Being jewelers, we spend all our time indoors. It is a good excuse to go and see if the sun has come out.
Our shop is at USA Fleamarket in Port Richey. If you get there, just ask at the office for the Freeze Dried Hippies. They know us real well. Been there 5yrs.

putteral
01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
Will keep an eye out for you guys. Have been to that Flea Market many times. The gun prices their are on the high side though. Hard to find wheel weights on a regular basis.

docone31
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Tell me about it. I fix Dominic's watches, and jewelery for nothing, he sells me stuff at market plus....
If he wasn't just down the isle, I would stick with Midway.
I haven't found wheel weights in a long time. I am going to start talking to roofers.

j20owner
01-07-2009, 03:40 AM
Funny you should mention that LEE 200 rf. Santa brought me a six banger and I just fired my 1st batch yesterday through my Kimber 1911.

Glad to hear this. Can't wait to get my mold and try them in my DW.