PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel chips

abunaitoo
07-17-2021, 03:11 AM
Finally got to try them today.
I mixed 1/3 chips to 2/3 pins.
Fallowed the same as I've done before.
It seemed to clean better and faster.
Only problem I've run across, is straining and cleaning them.
So small, and lighter than the pins, that they sometimes float on the water.
So a few are poured out removing the dirty water.
I held a magnet under the bucket as I poured, and it did catch most of them.
I'll need to get some better magnets.
I'm happy with the way it cleans.

Evoken
07-17-2021, 05:44 AM
I have not tried the chips yet, but here is what I do with the magnets.
I have a utility sink next to the shop that I wash the brass in. I have a round magnet with a hole in the center that is the same size as the drain hole. It fits so that it is just proud of the drain. This does 2 things, 1 slows the flow to the drain, 2 catches the pins before they go down.

I'm sure I've lost some pins, but for the most part has worked for me.

Ken

AlHunt
07-17-2021, 08:08 AM
I don't know anything about these stainless chips or pins but I do know that not all stainless is magnetic.

GregLaROCHE
07-17-2021, 08:25 AM
How big are these chips? Can they fit into the cases? If so, I think they would be hard to get out.

XDROB
07-17-2021, 08:42 AM
I also have not tried the pins yet.
But what I do is use the separater for the corn cob media that I have. Just dump the cases and water into the bottom half of the separator which is sitting on a 3 gallon bucket and then put the top on and turn it around 50 revolutions. By then all the pins are dumped out into the bucket with water. Have three magnets one 5 inch round one taped in the bottom of the bucket. And two straight magnets that are from Harbor Freight. They pretty much catch all the pins. After pouring the dirty water out I rinse with clean water. Then prop up the bucket and let them dry. Then remove magnets and pour them into a plastic coffee container.

I'm thinking that method will work with the chips.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sasquatch-1
07-17-2021, 09:08 AM

DIYMAG Super Strong Neodymium Fishing Magnets, 175 LBS(80 KG) Pulling Force Rare Earth Magnet with Countersunk Hole Eyebolt Diameter 1.89 INCH(48 mm) for Retrieving in River and Magnetic Fishing

I bought one of these from Amazon a couple years ago. It fits nicely inside a section of 2" PVC. I glued a thin piece of plastic onto the bottom. I bolted a piece of 1/4" all thread to the magnet. I then took an end cap and drilled through the center and ran the all thread through the end cap and glued it in place. I used duct tape on the bottom to help keep the plastic safe but if you used a more water proof tape it would be easily submersible. I think another end cap on the bottom would be too thick. The 175 lb. pull makes it far superior to the store bought.

Minerat
07-17-2021, 10:46 AM
I use the chips. You have to rinse the cases out, especially bottleneck rifle cases but they really do a good job of cleaning the primer pockets and do not get caught in the flash holes. I use a harbor freight magnet like this to recover the chips.

CENTRAL MACHINERY
Long Reach Magnetic Pickup Tool With Quick Release

abunaitoo
07-17-2021, 08:44 PM
I had a few neodymium magnets.
Got them to try and make a centrifugal mixer.
Tumbler much easier to use.
After I got the magnets finally separated :veryconfu, I just held it under the lip of the bucket, as I poured out the dirty water.
It worked great.
Darn magnet is strong and has a wide field.
The ships are really small.
Will fall right through the primer hole.
Magnet around the drain sounds like a good idea.
I have been keeping magnets from old speakers for a while.
Have them stuck all over the place.
My cleaning takes kind of long, but I don't want to lose any pins/chips.
Got nothing else to do anyway.

Rfeustel
08-03-2021, 09:01 PM
The FART has a super mesh screen (extra) for dumping the water out. It keeps the Souther Shine media in the tumbler. Dirty water is disposed of without losing chips, also some rinses. Then dunky dunky with a media separator and they’re all gone.

While wet, its tough to pour them all out of the bucket. A bunch stick to the side. So I put them back in the tumbler with the screen, wet, and let them drain and dry. Works for me.

XDROB
08-04-2021, 09:34 AM
The FART has a super mesh screen (extra) for dumping the water out. It keeps the Souther Shine media in the tumbler. Dirty water is disposed of without losing chips, also some rinses. Then dunky dunky with a media separator and they’re all gone.

While wet, its tough to pour them all out of the bucket. A bunch stick to the side. So I put them back in the tumbler with the screen, wet, and let them drain and dry. Works for me.When I use my media separator I tape an large old c/b antenna mount magnet on the bottom and two stick magnets from HF to the sides of my three gallon bucket. Pour water out and haven't lost any what's so ever. Then I tilt the bucket so the chips are on the high side and let them dry for a day or so. Then I use the Franklin Armory media handler to move them back to a plastic coffee container.

Rfeustel
08-04-2021, 09:37 AM
When I use my media separator I tape an large old c/b antenna mount magnet on the bottom and two stick magnets from HF to the sides of my three gallon bucket. Pour water out and haven't lost any what's so ever. Then I tilt the bucket so the chips are on the high side and let them dry for a day or so. Then I use the Franklin Armory media handler to move them back to a plastic coffee container.

Oh that’s smart. I like that. Thanks.

Burnt Fingers
08-04-2021, 02:16 PM
How big are these chips? Can they fit into the cases? If so, I think they would be hard to get out.

They are tiny. They easily fit into the cases, in fact, they can go through the flash hole.

Pins also fit into the cases by the way.

Half Dog
08-04-2021, 03:11 PM
I haven’t tried the chips yet but for pins, I use a machinist magnet. Turn on to collect the pins, turn off to dump the pins.

XDROB
08-04-2021, 04:27 PM
I haven’t tried the chips yet but for pins, I use a machinist magnet. Turn on to collect the pins, turn off to dump the pins.I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a Machinist magnet. How big are they and sounds like they are powered somehow. A small electromagnet?

Half Dog
08-04-2021, 06:01 PM

oley55
08-04-2021, 07:04 PM
or a magnetic chip wand/swarf. Saw one being used on one of the machinist youtube channels a couple days ago and thought to myself, I need one of those. But they seem a little pricey for what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Magnetic-Chipping-Collector-CYCLONE/dp/B003OJOGA4

I'd think a rare earth magnet on a steel rod with a non-ferrous cup or sleeve over the magnet and rod would do the job as well.

XDROB
08-04-2021, 08:33 PM
or a magnetic chip wand/swarf. Saw one being used on one of the machinist youtube channels a couple days ago and thought to myself, I need one of those. But they seem a little pricey for what they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Magnetic-Chipping-Collector-CYCLONE/dp/B003OJOGA4

I'd think a rare earth magnet on a steel rod with a non-ferrous cup or sleeve over the magnet and rod would do the job as well.I use the Franklin Armory media transfer magnet. Can't seem to get an image that will let me show it. Google it.

LAKEMASTER
08-04-2021, 11:45 PM
I'm glad you had a good experience with the chips. I took interest in them before I stopped using pins all together.

slim1836
08-05-2021, 11:56 AM
I use Dawn in my rotary drums for the first hour or two to get the initial dirt out of range brass, then change the water and run again with pins and Dawn for another hour or two. On brass I've shot, I'll tumble with Dawn and pins for 3 hours and skip the initial wash. The RCBS media separator gets my pins out and I'll run those pins through the tumbler with Dawn to clean them afterwards. Only time I use magnets is when I find one on the floor.

Slim

reedap1
08-25-2021, 07:46 AM
I have not been having trouble with lost pins since I started the process of first straining the brass/pin mixture when it comes out of the tumbler with a mesh kitchen sieve to which I have layered inside the sieve a double thickness of cheesecloth. Everything is straining through the sieve and then I let them dry overnight. The next day it is easy to separate dry brass from dry pins. My method might take a bit longer but I never loose pins and with some vigorous shaking all the pins fall out of the brass if thoroughly dried. YMMV

Walter Laich
09-03-2021, 08:05 PM
I've been using https://www.facebook.com/southernshinemedia/ for a number of years. Love it

I use an RCBS media separator filled with water. Does a great job of getting all the SS chips down to the bottom of the water.
I just use a common kitchen strainer to pull the water/chips through. Chips stay in strainer. Yes, I probably lose a few but not enough to matter.

there are always some chips left in the separator housing after all the water/chips go through the strainer

I just let them dry out and then pour them into the tumbler to wait for next job

I have taken corroded brass that has sat wet in a hurricane destroyed garage for over a year and brought them back to like-new condition.

oley55
09-08-2021, 06:51 PM

I'd think a rare earth magnet on a steel rod with a non-ferrous cup or sleeve over the magnet and rod would do the job as well.

Well I went ahead and ordered some rare earth magnets and made some swarf magnets. In the pics, that's about 4 oz of pins using two 1/2" x 1/2" ring magnets. Pretty strong but I went ahead and replaced one of the 1/2" long ring magnets with a solid 1/2" x 1" magnet giving me a magnet column of 1/2" x 1-1/2". I can now pick up 6+ ounces of pins. I have close to $60 tied up in the four wands. And NO, I am not interesting in making/selling them. Drilling a hole in the end of 1/4" round stock is a hit or miss proposition without a lathe and the rods are the step cinch bolts from an old wooden step ladder (I always save misc hardware). FYI, the pins will follow the magnet so a collar is a must. Mine are furniture floor protectors and they can be slid up and down the tube. The three extras go to two of my sons and my old friend and gunsmith.

edit: I just ordered some black plastic knobs to replace the wooden furniture knobs, just because...