PDA

View Full Version : 280 Ross Brass Comparison

AGB-1
07-16-2021, 05:45 PM
https://www.rossrifle.com/forum/index.php?topic=.msg8102#msg8102

15meter
07-16-2021, 10:43 PM
https://www.rossrifle.com/forum/index.php?topic=1336.msg8102#msg8102

But that website won't let you look at the posting without logging in, and the website won't let you register so you can login.

Kind of unfriendly to my way of thinking.

Bummer.

Buddy just bought a Oberndorf Mauser in 280 Ross and info is pretty thin.

Always on the look for more information.

15meter
07-17-2021, 08:55 AM
https://www.rossrifle.com/forum/index.php?www try this

Tried it, go to the registration tab, get "sorry, registration is currently disabled" message.

Apparently I'm an undesirable.

They must have been talking to my mother-in-law.

444ttd
07-17-2021, 04:06 PM
Tried it, go to the registration tab, get "sorry, registration is currently disabled" message.

mine too. it must be talking to my ex-wife.

john.k
07-17-2021, 10:37 PM
The Rossrifle forum has been repeatedly damaged and destroyed by hackers .....if you want to contact the owner ,send him an email.........however I doubt he will be interested by a Mauser.......The usual way to make 280Ross cases is from 7mm Rem Mag....turn off the belt ........incidentally ,the bore is considerably larger than available 284 bullets,and should be slugged to determine dia......it will be something like 288-290 groove.

15meter
07-18-2021, 08:43 AM
Already using 7 Mag brass. In this rifle it Chambers perfectly with out doing anything more than F/L sizing.

Only problem is extraction, with the smaller rim the case come off the extractor unless you elevate the muzzle or operate the bolt with "ALACRITY".

It ends up being a little short but that's way easier than having to trim bunches off like when I started with 300 Win Mag.

Or the original recommendation of 300 H&H. Didn't do that one, silly to waste those cases when there are much better and cheaper options.

Still would have liked to see what they had to say about the 280 Ross.

Always looking for info on the old and odd stuff I reload.

15meter
07-18-2021, 08:58 AM
And it does have the larger bore, ~.289, I just got a 137 grain, .290 mold from NOE.

Casts a beautiful boolit, may load some later today, skeet first, brief visit to the local Bier Garten, then either a motorcycle or a bicycle ride(or both) then the reloading bench. Unless I get waylaid by some other project in the shed.

This retirement stuff is work!

It's a hard life, but somebody's gotta do it.

15meter
07-23-2021, 09:11 AM
Still can't register, apparently they still think I'm a bad person.

I'd email them begging forgiveness for my past transgressions and in their infinite wisdom allow me to register, but for the life of me, I can't find an email address.

Alas, forever doomed to be an outsider. Unwanted. Unloved.

john.k
07-23-2021, 05:36 PM
Nothing to do with that.....the website has been under continuous attack from hackers and thieves ,and as its financed entirely by the owner ,costly security is out of the question......So give the guy a break ,and respect his efforts to even have a Ross website.

15meter
07-23-2021, 11:52 PM
Didn't think my post would be taken as anything but kidding.

Guess I was mistook.

15meter
12-14-2021, 10:25 AM

Still can't register, and they can't talk to my M-I-L anymore, she passed away in August.

Probably talking to my little sister, she hasn't forgiven me for handling our parents estate exactly as the will laid out as opposed to listening to her (illegal) orders.

But I'm a bad person, after all, I'm a man.

Gavetta
12-15-2021, 09:13 AM
you are a hoot.

15meter
12-15-2021, 07:18 PM
you are a hoot.

That's not what my sister calls me[smilie=1: