PDA

View Full Version : Globe Sight for M1 Garand

Hick
07-14-2021, 10:18 PM
For many years I've been thinking of putting a Globe Sight on my Garand-- my artificial lenses make the front post fuzzy. This week I had one of those 'forehead slapping' "Why didn't I think of this before?" moments. Those familiar with the Garand front sight know it has a reverse dovetail and a vertical slot with an Allen screw to tighten on the dovetail. Globe sights also have a slot for the interchangeable sight elements. I filed down a flat piece of iron so it would slide down in the slot of the sight (a little thinner so the Allen screw could still tighten on the dovetail), and drilled a hole in the bottom for the Allen screw. I made the width so it would be tight in the sight ears and not wobble left/right. The sight ears hold the horizontal position and the allen screw holds the vertical. The first sight element I have tried is a simple drilled hole, which is what I use for most of my globe sights, but I could make any number of different sight elements if I wanted to.

quail4jake
07-14-2021, 10:32 PM
Lyman 17A with reverse dovetail for the M1 Garand...I have one I used for military course of fire competition. Now I have a Leica red dot mounted to the rear sight base and no more need for a front sight. This is due to ageing eyes and re designation as a battle rifle in reserve. Good luck, I think Lyman still makes the 17A.
1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8 & PING!:Fire:

Gtek
07-14-2021, 11:13 PM
I truly miss all the shooting of my Garands with the 20/20 eyes this getting old man had.

Jack Stanley
07-17-2021, 09:07 AM
I've been working against failing eye sight for some time now . And while I do have scope to use , I still use open sights more than scopes . My own opinion is that it keeps the eye muscles working so the don't quit as fast ;-) One of my favorite to use is a 1903 and a 1903A3 , currently playing with a 91/30 "zip gun" . The long barrel and good sights are a blessing .

As for handguns ............. I shoot by sense of smell Ha ha ha

Jack

stubshaft
07-17-2021, 11:02 PM
I used to use a globe front sights when I shot "leg" matches years ago, and one of my Garands has them permanently installed.

tom catman
07-18-2021, 04:47 PM
alleysupply.com/m1-garand-carbine-sights has one that is on my garand and is great.get a extra insert sheet because they are different size than lymans inserts.they had an m1a at one time also but i dont see them anymore...