PDA

View Full Version : Some days,, better than others,,,!

contender1
07-14-2021, 09:40 PM
My job,, is dealing with nuisance wildlife. I'm a state certified animal damage control agent. (ADC)

Some days,, better than others.

Yesterday,, I had to wade into a slimy pond, up above my belly button, & remove & dispose of a dead deer. The deer had been there about a week. Bloated & smelly. Flies, maggots, hair & skin pulling off, etc.

Yesterday was not one of the better days.

alfadan
07-14-2021, 09:48 PM
bleck! I guess some days we're paid too much, others not paid near enough.

jim147
07-14-2021, 10:11 PM
I have a friend that helps me out. He is federal. He has bad days like that.

I've been having bad day since 2014. Hope you never have the same.

cwtebay
07-14-2021, 11:01 PM
Dang! Our guy won't even pick up road kill. Well done!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
07-14-2021, 11:52 PM
Sounds worse than working at the zoo.

That's a crappy job too.

contender1
07-15-2021, 09:33 AM
I shared this, because often people think my job is "easy" or "pleasant." Most folks think all I do is trap a cute little animal, and relocate it to a wonderful forest environment, where it lives a Disney type of life.
Some folks think I'm a State employee, and that the government should pay for such services.
Others, often "poor mouth," saying; "I'm on a fixed income, so could you just do ********#####!!!!!! for me?

As a state certified ADC, I'm NOT employed by the State. But I answer to them, make quarterly reports, & abide by the laws set forth to do my job. Taxpayers already do not want taxes to increase, so having a private business do this kind of work for those who only have a problem, is a win-win for taxpayers.
So, I'm a private business.
As such, I get to do a lot of different things to help people co-exist with wildlife as much as possible. Or, I can remove problem wildlife, and assist people in prevention methods for future potential issues.

Some days,, quite pleasant, when you assist a person with the removal of a critter causing damage, and they give you a hug. Heck, I've even had a lady cry when she was finally bat free after having them infest her house.
Or the recent rescue of a momma bluebird from a kitchen hood vent pipe, release her, and watch her immediately return to feeding her babies.

But like my OP, some days,, whew,, can really test my abilities & resolve. Luckily, I have the abilities, and the equipment to do these things.

Just sharing a few little things,, so that maybe when some of y'all have a rough day,, think of what I have to do sometimes. Then smile,, knowing is isn't you dragging a smelly, rotten dead deer through a semi-stagnant pond. :D

Shuz
07-15-2021, 01:58 PM
I once had a part time job at a funeral home and was often sent out to pick up dead bodies that had been in the Columbia river for a while. We called them "floaters". Talk about stench! Couldn't get them in a body bag and get it zipped up fast enuf!

gwpercle
07-15-2021, 02:23 PM
I'm glad I took my Dad's advice ... He told me to go to college , get an education and get a office job.
One indoors , cool during the summer , warm during winter and you don't get rained on .
I did ... I had a gift for drawing ... so I learned Mechanical Drawing , Building Design and Drafting ... Learned to prepare blueprints for building , spent all my time in a nice clean office ...never once had to wrangle a week old dead deer ... No sir, the Good Lord & Dad made me a Draftsman !

I'm sure you have much better days ...fishing a little !
Gary