PDA

View Full Version : Removing Bevel Base on 45 colt Boolit?

mtgrs737
01-06-2009, 03:46 AM
I have a Lyman 452664 four cavity mould that has a bevel base that I was wondering if it would increase accuracy to have the BB removed. I like flat based boolits, and this mould was not listed as a BB design when I ordered it. This mould casts very nicley and I like the large meplat and single grease groove so I don't have to unplug any lube holes in my Star die from the 45 acp designs I size. However what have you guys found, do the flat based boolits shoot more accurately? My current load is 8grs. of Unique and it shoots OK but would removing the bevel be better for bore seal etc. I don't know how much more weight I would gain form the removal but it shouldn't be too much as the bevel is not large.

BB or PB what do you guys think?

cupter
01-06-2009, 05:39 AM
My opinion, .........my opinion only:

If it shoots good?, it is certainly easier to load bb's vs fb's..........
Brass has a longer life, without all the "sizing"......

Good luck
cupter:-)

crabo
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I think pb shoot better than bevel base. Have Buckshot remove the bevel. He can do it without losing any weight and it will add a little to the back end.(which can be a good thing)

Lead melter
01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
I have a Lyman 452664 four cavity mould that has a bevel base that I was wondering if it would increase accuracy to have the BB removed. I like flat based boolits, and this mould was not listed as a BB design when I ordered it. This mould casts very nicley and I like the large meplat and single grease groove so I don't have to unplug any lube holes in my Star die from the 45 acp designs I size. However what have you guys found, do the flat based boolits shoot more accurately? My current load is 8grs. of Unique and it shoots OK but would removing the bevel be better for bore seal etc. I don't know how much more weight I would gain form the removal but it shouldn't be too much as the bevel is not large.

BB or FB what do you guys think?

I have the same mold, and have thought of the same potential advantages. It's just that I have been too chicken to "adjust" a Lyman mold that actually works for me (Lyman and I have a long adversarial history).
If you do this, please let me know how it turns out.

beagle
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd go for it. I removed the BB on a 429667 and it seems to shoot better.

I know for a fact that BB bullets do not shoot as near as well as do PB bullets in my .357 Mag and .44 Mag carbines as I have made before and after tests on moulds that I have modified.

I don't see why mould manufacturers went this route to begin with except for loading in progressive machines./beagle

Matt_G
01-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't see why mould manufacturers went this route to begin with except for loading in progressive machines./beagle
I would also go for it as I hate bevel bases.
Especially since I have a RCBS sizer and I hate wiping lube of the bases!
I don't even see the advantage of them with progressives.

In my RCBS AmmoMaster-Auto I just size in station 1, use a Lyman "M" die in station 2 (priming station), charge powder at station 3, seat at station 4, and use a crimp die at station 5.
Makes a BB a moot point IMHO.

mtgrs737
01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
OK guys, you have pushed me over the tipping point on this one, I will give Buckshot a holler to see what the cost is. Thanks for all your responses.

crabo
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Let us know how you like the way we spent your money when it is all done.

mtgrs737
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I will have to see what the freight is first, may be too much! But if I do, you will be the first to know! If the price is right, I will be doing a similar .44 mould too.

cbrick
01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I have SAECO #382 two cavity, a 150 gr SWC PB and SAECO #388 four cavity, a 160 gr SWC BB. These bullets are identical except for the BB and 388 is a bit longer in the base band only, thus the additional 10 grs in weight.

382 is a surprisingly accurate shooter out to 100 yards in a Marlin 357, #388 I have never been able to get to work nearly as well regardless of powder, charge etc.

Is it the BB? I dunno but I suspect so I sent 388 to Erik to remove the BB (he has it right now). If I am right and its the BB #388 should shoot as well as 382. If it does I'll have a heavy #382 in four cavity with a wider base band and more bearing surface. If it doesn't work out . . . well, #388 didn't shoot well anyway so I rarely used it, I won't be out much.

Rick

Echo
01-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Regarding shipping - a USPS Flat Rate envelope is only $4.80 and goes priority, w/tracking and all. I have NEVER had any problem with USPS Priority mail, and your mold WILL fit into the envelope.

mag_01
01-11-2009, 02:43 PM
:coffee: -- I removed the bevel edge from A Lee mould on a 45 200 gr. boolit and performance was better -- Loading was a little more difficult other than that I feel its worth while. Good luck with your project. Tom