PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage in the crock last night.

bakerjw
07-13-2021, 03:25 PM
Went to the farmers market last saturday looking for cabbage. One guy had some for $2.00/lb. Another had some for $2.50 a head and they were good sized cabbages. We bought 8 for $20.00 and he threw in 2 more. All in all it was 50 cents a pound.

So last night, we sliced up 15 pounds of cabbage, mixed it with Himalayan salt, added some carrot and cucumber slices and stuffed a 15L crock. It only took 3 1/2 heads to do that and we have 6 1/2 left so we did the next obvious thing. Bought another crock. This time a 20L.

We still have a 10L one to do this evening. For that we'll mix in Korean red pepper like they use with KimChi.

In 2 to 3 months, it will be time to can once again.

gbrown
07-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah, making kraut or Kim Chi? I'm in for both. Made 35 lb of kraut last February. mmmm good. My wife and I could just eat it straight from the jar. As can my oldest grandson. Nothing like a good German supper of sauerkraut, good smoked sausage and potatoes, boiled, oven fried or pan fried. Need to have that soon.

bangerjim
07-13-2021, 06:55 PM
Cabbage.........yuck. I had a friend that tried one of those purge diets with 2 weeks of ONLY cabbage soup. I was over one evening and almost lost my lunch. He now cannot even look a head of cabbage in the eye!!!!!

I like some Sauerkraut....if someone else makes it. The prep smell is something I do not like. Even then I generally load up on the sausages and nothing else.

Glad you enjoy it.

imashooter2
07-13-2021, 07:45 PM
Cabbage.........yuck. I had a friend that tried one of those purge diets with 2 weeks of ONLY cabbage soup. I was over one evening and almost lost my lunch. He now cannot even look a head of cabbage in the eye!!!!!

I like some Sauerkraut....if someone else makes it. The prep smell is something I do not like. Even then I generally load up on the sausages and nothing else.

Glad you enjoy it.

Had an associate at work try that years ago. Hard to think of a more selfish act than to eat a pile of cabbage and then confine yourself in a trailer with 20 other people for 8 hours every day.

shaner
07-15-2021, 05:46 AM
Went to the farmers market last saturday looking for cabbage. One guy had some for $2.00/lb. Another had some for $2.50 a head and they were good sized cabbages. We bought 8 for $20.00 and he threw in 2 more. All in all it was 50 cents a pound.

So last night, we sliced up 15 pounds of cabbage, mixed it with Himalayan salt, added some carrot and cucumber slices and stuffed a 15L crock. It only took 3 1/2 heads to do that and we have 6 1/2 left so we did the next obvious thing. Bought another crock. This time a 20L.

We still have a 10L one to do this evening. For that we'll mix in Korean red pepper like they use with KimChi.

In 2 to 3 months, it will be time to can once again.Sounds yummy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
07-20-2021, 07:00 PM
Had an associate at work try that years ago. Hard to think of a more selfish act than to eat a pile of cabbage and then confine yourself in a trailer with 20 other people for 8 hours every day.

I can. I have not smelled anything since 1984. Fractured skull in a karate tournament in Okinawa. I can blast all day in confined spaces & never suffer! Fried eggs, refried beans and jalapeños can sure give cabbage a run for the money. I got called out in a Mexican movie theater I stunk so bad! My family claimed I wasn’t with them!
Some things don’t change ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruger1980
07-21-2021, 07:03 PM
I cant wait. Cabbage is no where near ready here but they grow quite a bit just a little north of here. Actually there were a large number of sauerkraut packagers in this area. We usually get some from a stand near the daughter in-laws. They are bigger than a basketball by quite a bit.

MaryB
07-22-2021, 03:15 PM
Son as farmers market starts here in a couple weeks I will grab 2 big heads to make kraut. I don't can mine. It goes in the fridge to be eaten fresh, lot healthier because the good bacteria are still alive. I pack it in quart jars and don't tighten the lids hard, just barely snug so they are sealed but can burp gasses off during storage. Love that fart smell when I open the fridge door LOL