farmbif
07-09-2021, 03:23 PM
saw an interesting video on youtube

lead-pouring disaster tally ho

Burnt Fingers
07-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Link?

It's not that hard to post a link.

Highlight the text in the address bar. Click Control C to copy it. Come here, start a post and hit Control V to post the link.

Winger Ed.
07-09-2021, 03:54 PM
No running and screaming, no fire trucks,,,,,,,,, hmmm, that looks more like a incident or mishap than a disaster.

John Boy
07-09-2021, 06:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTWP-du9Mk

Scrounge
07-09-2021, 10:06 PM
No running and screaming, no fire trucks,,,,,,,,, hmmm, that looks more like a incident or mishap than a disaster.

I was expecting to see people burned, hear screaming, possibly the boat on fire or tipping over, and that sort of thing. What it really was is an "oops!" Not complaining, oops is much better than disaster. Sailing was one of those hobbies I had to give up a long time ago, but it was nice to see someone trying to save one of the good old boats. And much as I'd like to bring home a bunch of that lead...

Bill

Stephen Cohen
07-10-2021, 02:23 AM
That was a great watch and thank you for posting, I did worry about this happening when I saw the jet of lead shooting out in one spot. I also congratulate them on saving an old boat. Regards Stephen

Land Owner
07-10-2021, 06:00 AM
Watched that yesterday. The question begs, which way does he go to rebuild the keel? My "vote" (haha) would be to repour it from scratch, the way he wants it, rather than worry about delamination, voids, and spalling. Their pre-pour preparations were quite good and saved a lot of additional work. They won't have to spend valuable and dangerous time cleaning the recovered lead. That's a lotta hot lead!

For the "disaster", skip to 30-minutes into the video and watch a while from there...

pjames32
07-10-2021, 03:26 PM
Good watch and my thoughts are what would I do? What would MacGyver do? After some thought I think I'd start from scratch, building the base of the form on an I beam.

samari46
07-11-2021, 12:16 AM
There was one video where they actually formed up a hole in the ground and poured the whole keel ballast weight in one shot. Forget how much the whole thing weighed but something on the order of 5 tons. 10,000 pounds is a lot of lead. Problem with Tally Ho is that the supports for the hull are in the way. So cannot remove the existing ballast keel weight add lead to it and move it back into place. When they were stuffing the pig full of lead, looks like they had what looked like ballast weights already cast. I believe that the bulk of the lead came from the internal ballast.. Still all in all an interesting video. Frank

lightman
07-11-2021, 04:27 PM
Lead spills can be dangerous. I didn't watch the video but its always good to have a reminder about what can go wrong.

ulav8r
07-11-2021, 04:41 PM
Was more of a mishap than a disaster. A disaster could have been fatal.