PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat existing bullets

J. D. R
07-08-2021, 01:51 PM
So I have a transferable cobray m11 that I want to take to knob creek and shoot in the jungle walk in October to say I at least went before they shut down for good.

I currently have 2000 ish left 125 tc 9mm lead boolits that suck in anything I shoot the. In, due to the fact they are. 356 and super hard. If I can use them I would like to just to be rid of them.

My idea is as follows..... I want to powder coat them using the red powder mix from harbor fright and then size them .357/8 and load them as sub mg fodder in order to avoid leading my barrel and getting some accuracy.

Has anyone done this before and what was your end result?

Smoke4320
07-08-2021, 04:27 PM
As long as they are not well oxidized clean them good in acetone then let them dry WELL .. coat

Kraschenbirn
07-08-2021, 04:35 PM
Are those boolits already lubed? If so, PC ain't gonna work without removing old lube...which is a real PITA!! (Check out the current thread about removing old lube prior to PC). Also, myself, wouldn't try it with HF Red; in my experience it doesn't yield the best coating on freshly cast boolits, even with proper prep, and I doubt it would would provide a satisfactory result on 'recycled' either.

Bill

cwlongshot
07-08-2021, 05:20 PM
Must be REAL CLEAN!!

Done it many times. Cleaner the better.

CW

Dom
07-08-2021, 06:33 PM
What worked for me. Placed the bullets on a piece of aluminum foil on my PC oven rack. Baked at 400 dg for about 15 min. 99.9% of the lube melted off. Dumped the bullets onto a sheet of old clean cardboard for excess lube to be removed, rolled them around. Then boiled ( bring to full boil ) bullets in an old pot for another 5 min or so. Lube floats to the surface. Poured that off & boiled once more. At this point my bullets were clean. I PC as normal & they shot perfectly. This method uses no toxic carb cleaner or acetone. I poured the boiling water off into a cardboard box with old news paper in it. That captured the lube residue. Simple. Took about 1 hour total to remove the lube off of 300 bullets I had. It worked.

charlie b
07-08-2021, 10:44 PM
Since you are posting in here go the extra inch and order some powder from Smoke. Get the black BB's too if you don't have access to some.

Dom
07-08-2021, 11:02 PM
I'm using "smokes " powder & have had no negative issues. Worked for me every time.

rfd
07-09-2021, 06:16 AM
Clean off the lube = squeeky clean as described above. HF powder sux, WAY better to use Smokes or Eastwood Ford Light Blue. Water quench right out of the oven to increase hardness, size, load.

Burnt Fingers
07-09-2021, 03:45 PM
Put bullets in lead pot.

Cast better bullets.

Coat them.

JimB..
07-09-2021, 05:02 PM
Put bullets in lead pot.

Cast better bullets.

Coat them.

This, although I’d add a step to dilute alloy with some soft lead.

gnappi
07-20-2021, 05:30 PM
I had a bunch of .40/.45/9mm lubed bullets that I ultimately decided to pc. I boiled them a couple of times skimming off the wax and agitating them while they boiled. Soaked them in acetone, and they PC'd nicely.

Given a choice I'd rather get the wax off than cast them all over again.

tankgunner59
07-20-2021, 06:07 PM
I have some HF red that I used before I bought from Smoke. If you plan to use the HF PC my advice is to powder coat them twice before sizing. I have used pills I PC'd with HF red, one coat and two coats. I've never had leading with the HF stuff but I decided to double coat and then size just to be safe.

Dragonheart
08-09-2021, 02:00 PM
Years ago I had several thousand lubed bullets I wanted to PC. I tried melting the lube in a low heat oven, it didn't work. I tried boiling, it didn't work. Then I tried an over night soak covered with gasoline and they looked pretty good. I did it one more time and they looked great. Then a rinse in acetone. They coated, cured and shot with no problems.