PDA

View Full Version : A good day at the casting pot

AlHunt
07-07-2021, 05:44 PM
You know, sometimes casting sucks and some days it just goes like clockwork.

Today it went like clockwork.

I recently bought a used 9mm mold from member HawkEyeEarl. A beautiful Lee TL-356-124-2R 6 cavity mold. It arrived looking hardly used with handles. It was apparently an older mold because it came in a giant box with handles.

I decided to take it for a test drive. It looked so nice I did nothing but apply a little sprue plate lube to the appropriate spots before I started casting.

Once the mold was at casting temperature, it started dropping perfect, frosted bullets like buttered biscuits. Never ONCE did I have to tap the mold with a mallet, stick or anything else to get all 6 bullets to drop. Just a tap on the handles with my gloved hand IF all 6 didn't drop out as soon as I opened the mold, which they did about 40% of the time.

I weighed 10 bullets, they were all +/-.5 grain of 126 and measured .356 to .357.

This mold will never leave my side.

smithnframe
07-07-2021, 06:37 PM
Very nice!

jlm223
07-07-2021, 06:40 PM
That's great! Good job.

BamaNapper
07-08-2021, 02:13 PM
I believe I have only one set of tumble lube molds at the house. And I seem to recall they also dropped the bullets effortlessly.

It would make sense that without the sharp edges of the lube grooves there would be less for the newborn bullets to grab onto. In my brain, as a tumble lube design cools and contracts it would pull itself away from all parts of the mold.

Is this typically the case, or am I just telling myself lies?

AlHunt
07-08-2021, 02:39 PM
I believe I have only one set of tumble lube molds at the house. And I seem to recall they also dropped the bullets effortlessly.

It would make sense that without the sharp edges of the lube grooves there would be less for the newborn bullets to grab onto. In my brain, as a tumble lube design cools and contracts it would pull itself away from all parts of the mold.

Is this typically the case, or am I just telling myself lies?

I don't know, I've had a few TL molds over the years and I don't remember ever having a session where I never once had to do more than rattle the mold.

Mk42gunner
07-08-2021, 05:00 PM
When a Lee six cavity mold is running well, it almost makes you think it is a Hensley & Gibbs. Almost.

Robert

gwpercle
07-08-2021, 05:17 PM
Happiness is a warm mould !
Sweet !
Gary

Budzilla 19
07-09-2021, 08:06 AM
I have that same mold. When it’s up and running, just like stated previously, it just pours out the boolits!! It’s almost on remote control,( well, not really, but you guys know what I mean) . That boolit shoots well in all the 9’s I tried it in. I’m tempted to try them, powder coated of course, sized to .358”, in my .38 snubbie just see if they would group! Good job, I think they look great. You’re correct, mine is also never leaving here.

JoeJames
07-09-2021, 08:19 AM
Looks mighty good. I’ve got a Lee 358 158 TL double cavity ordered and supposed to be in on Wednesday. I do like the configuration of the TL molds. Already have them in 32 & 44. And I really like them, and my revolvers do too. It took a spell though before the Lee 314 90 was seasoned, but it throws good boolits now.