PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SA shooters

Tusker
07-07-2021, 12:52 AM
Hello all, this question is for those of you who have some experience swapping parts on your Ruger single actions. I recently aquired an
Old Model Blackhawk in .357 and have been really enjoying it. However there are a couple of things I just can't seem to like-The skinny hammer spur and the skinny trigger.
My gun is the old model 3 screw, however it has had the "upgrade", but I do not have the old original parts.

I like the Bisley hammer, which I understand has been made to fit this gun, so, In order to get the right trigger for my gun, my question is:

do I get the hammer made for the old model gun- (the lower part of this aftermarket trigger which is a entirely different than what I have in my gun now, not to mention the exposed part, which I like), or do I get a Bisley style hammer made for the new model, since my gun has been modified for the transfer bar, even though its the old , 3 screw model?

As for the trigger, I want it wider! However, it seems to me that i'm probably stuck with what i've got because of the offset trigger design, among other things.
No, I don't have a holster for it, nor do I intend to..if that helps.

contender1
07-07-2021, 11:08 AM
Ok, I'm a bit of a Ruger SA nut. I'll be doing a display in a few weeks in Ohio with the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society. That said, let me see if I can help a bit.

Ruger OM 3-screw guns were never made by the factory with a Bisley hammer or trigger assy. To get such things, a custom gunsmith (Dave Clements was doing them, but is retiring.) will be necessary.
Any OM Bisley hammers that were not made by Dave, were custom made by cutting a Bisley hammer spur off one hammer, & welding it to another OM hammer that had been cut.
I do not recall seeing any OM's that have the safety transfer bar conversion having a Bisley set-up.
If you desire a wider hammer spur & wider trigger,, you do have (2) options.
(1) You can actually get a set for the Super Blackhawk & they can often drop in with possible minor fitting being required. You can do this with OM parts, (get all of the parts,) with a set of OM Super parts running about $200 or so. Or, you can get a safety conversion set for a Super that can be fitted to your gun,, and those usually sell for about $50-$75. It will give you the wider trigger you desire, but not the lower hammer spur like a Bisley.
(2) You can also try & contact Ronnie Wells in Texas,, as he's been working on Bisley stuff for a while, and POSSIBLY now have a set of Bisley style hammers & triggers that fit an OM. Again, there are a few other parts to use OM parts necessary.
A few other folks to talk to about the custom route,, Fermin Garza, (2dogs around here) & Tyler GunWorks,, Bobby Tyler.

In general, the easiest & least expensive would be to go the Super Blackhawk parts route.

Nueces
07-07-2021, 11:24 AM
Contender1 tells the whole story. I have one point to make, though. All of my old model, 3 screw Rugers with narrow triggers have also narrow openings for them in the grip frames. A Super trigger will work, but only if the trigger slot is widened.

DougGuy
07-07-2021, 11:27 AM
You have the perfect excuse to go out and buy a Bisley. Leave the OM alone!

A Super trigger will work, but only if the trigger slot is widened.

From Rugerforum.com:

Though I don't trim the front of the trigger. The slot in the grip frame must be extended a maximum of 5/16” and the 45 degree angle at the front of the slot replicated to install the Bisley trigger in a plow handle or birdshead GF. The best way to do this is with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel tool.

Personally I just drop a Super Blackhawk hammer in the plowhandled guns and that lowers the spur enough that it's much more comfortable to cock with either thumb when it is coming down out of recoil. Ruger has offered several limited edition models with the SBH hammer these are usually custom runs made for Lipseys or another distributor.

Tusker
07-07-2021, 02:50 PM
That is what I was looking for, things are beginning to look clearer to me. I believe I will go the Super B safety conversion set, that will be a great improvement to me!
I agree, I hate messing with these old guns and altering their original condition. (Get a Bisley, hmmm...)

Where are the options to finding the conversion set, and will I have to use more than just the hammer?

DougGuy
07-07-2021, 03:16 PM
Where are the options to finding the conversion set, and will I have to use more than just the hammer?

All I ever needed was the SBH hammer, with the plunger installed, from what I've read on the subject most are just a drop in hammer replacement. Mine was.

contender1
07-07-2021, 10:42 PM
Y'all are correct, I forgot to mention the slot for the trigger. Duhh! I was trying to remember all the details,, (and working from a faded memory!) :D :D

To find a Super BKH conversion hammer & trigger,, place a WTB ad on a few forums & you may easily find a set.

Jtarm
08-04-2021, 09:52 AM
The OMs are perfect, especially the flattops.

Don’t screw with them!