PDA

View Full Version : What Petroleum Distillate may I use to thin Dillon Rapid-Polish #290?

Walstr
07-06-2021, 04:37 PM
...and not adversely affect my Thumler's Tumbler bowl.

I submitted this email query to Dillon, but was hoping for a response before Sept.

p.s. If not the correct blog for this query, kill it and let me know. Thanks.

Walstr

Ford SD
07-06-2021, 10:36 PM
...and not adversely affect my Thumler's Tumbler bowl.

I submitted this email query to Dillon, but was hoping for a response before Sept.

p.s. If not the correct blog for this query, kill it and let me know. Thanks.

Walstr

it should not need to be thined

I have a part bottle in the cabinet ..... Not being used

Why ... I found using it it worked great .... till a certain point where it started to clump and stay in the cases
Bottle started to separate and required lots of shaking to mix it

I am Using Mothers car wax ... the cleaner
toss in in with walnut shell and let run ... then break up the clumps then toss in brass

rockrat
07-07-2021, 11:42 AM
What does it show on the bottle as a carrier? Or does it just have a generic phrase such as "petroleum distillates"?

gwpercle
07-10-2021, 06:39 PM
If it says Petroleum Distillates ... that usually means Mineral Spirits or Naphtha .

Using these media polishing additives usually leads to over doing it , the damp media starts to clump , stick to the cases and ruins the case polishing action of dry media .
My advice is to use media additives and liquid car wax ( Nu-Finish) very very sparingly ... once the media begins to cling and/or clump you can try spreading it and drying it out or replacing with fresh new media .
I find the Treated Media from Midway works best and only add any additive if it gets really dusty and dry ... otherwise don't add any . Less is better in this case .

Gary

07-11-2021, 09:32 AM
I use the Nu-Finish, too. Small amount in walnut media and let it dry before use. I squirt in an amount after finishing a load and let it sit until I go to use the tumbler again. My media stays dry and the cases don't have accumulated polish on them.

Geezer in NH
07-12-2021, 04:51 PM
I would not use Naphtha as a chance of ignition is 100% IMHO it will find ignition. [retired fire investigator]

Use the mineral spirits, I have and it worked fine.

9.3X62AL
07-12-2021, 07:28 PM
I would not use Naphtha as a chance of ignition is 100% IMHO it will find ignition. [retired fire investigator]

Use the mineral spirits, I have and it worked fine.

^^^ THIS! ^^^ (Also a retired fire C&O investigator). Idiot drug lab dabblers tried naptha as their solvent when the Coleman fuel sold out locally. We found a lot of labs that way.

greywuuf
07-13-2021, 06:14 PM
I have been known to use a "squirt" of the citrus orange hand cleaner intended for the garage... in my walnut shell media. Dont over do it ... it can dampen and clump.

Jbiker
07-14-2021, 05:49 PM
I've been using mineral spirits for the last 40 years ! I usually throw 3 or 5 pieces of the bore swatches in to catch the fine dirt also.