PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with PC not baked long enough

Walter Laich
07-05-2021, 07:41 AM
had some bullets that didn't get baked long enough--power problem in home

should I rebake for entire time or

just bake them for time amount of time power was off?

thank

frankmako
07-05-2021, 07:48 AM
you will get many different answers on this problem. but,,,,what i have done when i had under cooked bullets was to recooked them as they was never cooked.

Kraschenbirn
07-05-2021, 10:52 AM
If they were mine, they'd go into the jar of sprue and rejects that lives under my workbench waiting for my next casting session.

Bill

FLINTNFIRE
07-05-2021, 11:08 AM
I would just bake them if as they had not been baked at all , then you are sure they have the right time and temp for full cure .

Smoke4320
07-05-2021, 01:15 PM
Bake 30 to 50 or so load, shoot them then judge... any streaking or leading back in the pot the rest go

Conditor22
07-05-2021, 01:36 PM
I'd re-bake them ALL (doesn't take any more time/power) 400° 25 min

IF you are still worried about it you can test a few as smoke says but I think you will be fine.

Even the manufacturer recommends when you bake 2 coats, only bake the first coat until it flows cool-coat again then do a full bake.

PC needs to remain at a certain temperature for a certain time to fully cure.

Walter Laich
07-05-2021, 08:09 PM
thanks to all

I went ahead and did the complete time curing.

figured it wouldn't hurt--not like I was going to burn the roast or something

Dragonheart
08-09-2021, 02:05 PM
thanks to all

I went ahead and did the complete time curing.

figured it wouldn't hurt--not like I was going to burn the roast or something

That was the thing to do.

What you had was a "partial cure" which is an intended process when bonding multiple coats or some top coats. Then the full cure time and temperature is used for a final cure.

Hossfly
08-09-2021, 02:10 PM
Ive had a breaker trip when I had too much on in the barn and partial cure and yes I just rebaked as I didn’t know at what point the thing tripped.