PDA

View Full Version : Gracey case trimmer

J. D. R
07-03-2021, 12:27 PM
I purchased a used unit set up in 223 from ebay last week and am currently playing with the unit before I place into "productionuse".

Observations i made

Blade setting could be complicated

Case length is set by collet

You can not just stick a case in the collet and have a case prepared. I found inserting and spinning the case while cutting occurred provide the most consistent oal and Id/od case chamfer.

Case lube a neck every 50 or so and the spinning of cases will ease although the case to collet fit is still tight so expect some drag.

My best time doing 10 cases was 1 min and 9 seconds.

garandsrus
07-03-2021, 12:54 PM
Did you size the cases prior to trimming? I have a Gracey trimmer that has a larger motor (not sure how much bigger) and a Giraud carbide cutter. I trim a case in about 3 seconds. Insert it in the collet, 1/2 turn and it’s done. Make sure your cutter is not backwards.

You can buy the Giraud cutter from their web site. His current price is $33. It is a triangle shape so there are 3 cutting surfaces. It should last just about forever. It is a little less complicated to set since it is only one blade instead of two, but I still usually lose a case or two adjusting it.

If you have a lathe, making more case adapters is pretty easy. I have made them for just about everything I trim.

J. D. R
07-03-2021, 01:40 PM
Can you trim straight wall cases with an adapter?

garandsrus
07-03-2021, 03:06 PM
The cases index off the shoulder, so I don’t think straight wall cases could be trimmed.

Pee Wee
07-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Did you size the cases prior to trimming? I have a Gracey trimmer that has a larger motor (not sure how much bigger) and a Giraud carbide cutter. I trim a case in about 3 seconds. Insert it in the collet, 1/2 turn and it’s done. Make sure your cutter is not backwards.

You can buy the Giraud cutter from their web site. His current price is $33. It is a triangle shape so there are 3 cutting surfaces. It should last just about forever. It is a little less complicated to set since it is only one blade instead of two, but I still usually lose a case or two adjusting it.

If you have a lathe, making more case adapters is pretty easy. I have made them for just about everything I trim.

I did the same to mine. Highly recommend it.