PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Way to Crack Open Unbroken FMJ Range Scrap for Smelting?

Liberty1776
07-03-2021, 10:45 AM
So I've got this 100 lbs of range scrap collected into a bucket. A certain number of the slugs will be FMJ that survived the trip into the berm more or less intact, meaning their lead won't melt out in smelting.

What's your favorite, fastest, easiest and cheapest way to cut the FMJ rounds open?

Some guys use simple 7" diagonal wire cutters, but that takes a good amount of oomph to cut through a .45ACP slug. Buy a 9"?

A small bolt cutter held in a fixture so you can operate one handle while positioning the slug into its jaws?

Some kind of shear?

Cable cutters? (I happen to have one....)

Just kicking around for ideas because some of you guys have come up with brilliant solutions I had not considered for other problems (like using a cutoff clear plastic water bottle and cap to hold and position the Lee Hardness Tester microscope over a test article).

imashooter2
07-03-2021, 10:49 AM
I just use the tip of the dykes to nick the base of the TMJ. No need to cut them in half, I just don’t want to get squirted when one lets go.

TyGuy
07-03-2021, 11:30 AM
I use a small, cheap pair of HF bolt cutters. You definitely know when you get a steel core bullet but they do the job. I like the idea of making a fixture for them.

The Dar
07-03-2021, 07:54 PM
A framing hammer with a waffle head works well.

Traffer
07-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Pair of big side cutters.

Winger Ed.
07-03-2021, 08:23 PM
I run the pot pretty hot, and stir several times after all the jacketed stuff floats up.
They're all open either on the top or bottom.

As they tumble around, they empty themselves.

Ford SD
07-03-2021, 08:24 PM
in the past I have used a pc of rail way tie and the flat side of a ball peen hammer

an anvil would work too ... heavy metal flat on top

just a enough of a hit to split the jacket....

if you think it (rifle) is steel core hold the bullet with a pair of pliers and hit the bullet with the hammer

or try bolt cutters one handed ... rest the other handle on the work bench with the handle tied down ... so you can open / close it one handed

Walks
07-03-2021, 09:59 PM
The last time I melted down range scrap there were no totally encapsulated FMJs.
I did recover enough 230gr 45ACP bullets that were still intact and round enough to 100rds. Shot well enough to all land inside a B-27 10ring at 25yrds.

Outpost75
07-03-2021, 10:05 PM
Cup and core FMJs will melt down to salvage the lead with no trouble. Be sure to skim off and save the empty jackets to sell to a scrapper, as they are worth about $1.25/pound. Plated TMJ bullets smashed flat with a waffle-faced framing hammer against concrete then melt down with no issues. Residual copper foil and gaschecks can be skimmed and added to the cupped and drawn jacket material for sale to the scrapper.

kevin c
07-04-2021, 04:04 AM
A framing hammer with a waffle head works well.This, over a concrete surface you don't care about, with some sort of surround to catch the slugs that jump from an off center hit. One good whack each usually is enough.

Lloyd Smale
07-04-2021, 06:12 AM
The last time I melted down range scrap there were no totally encapsulated FMJs.
I did recover enough 230gr 45ACP bullets that were still intact and round enough to 100rds. Shot well enough to all land inside a B-27 10ring at 25yrds.

buddy recovers 220 jacketed bullets shot subsonic out of his black out into the snow and re uses them. He said theres very little diffence in accuracy. if nothing else there plenty good enough for shooting steel at 50 yards. In these days of shortages if they look good you might want to just keep them for plinkers.

ioon44
07-04-2021, 08:02 AM
I have reused bullets from my rubber mulch bullet traps that still could be loaded, usually .45 ACP.

jsizemore
07-04-2021, 09:16 AM
28oz Estwing waffle head framing hammer and a section of rail. Anvil works better if you haven't flattened the rail.

lightman
07-04-2021, 01:37 PM
The few that I find get a small cut with Linemans pliers. A hammer and an anvil would probably be quicker.

fredj338
07-12-2021, 03:01 PM
I use a 8# sledge to flatten plated. True FMJ have open bases so no need to do anything. The plated ones have enclosed bases, so flattening them cracks the plating & away you go.

too many things
07-12-2021, 08:29 PM
dar had the best and easy way
hit with a 2 lb hammer. very fast and works
lay about 100 on concreate give wife hammer and she can sleep well. and you will wake up

fjruple
07-13-2021, 11:17 AM
I use a set of long handled sharp tree branch trimmers and cut the TMJ bullets length wise. Quick and ease and plenty of leverage to get the job done.