PDA

View Full Version : Applied for a new job.

Idaho45guy
07-03-2021, 10:10 AM
I've been with my current company for over 7 years and finally couldn't take it any more. I've been on a graveyard shift for two years and seen my physical and mental health decline steadily.

I've applied for 4 other positions within the company that I was well qualified for and didn't get any of them.

I finally met with HR and then my supervisor saying I wanted to transfer to another position within the company and would like some assistance with HR in determining where would be a good fit. HR said they really couldn't do anything for me and a week later, my supervisor wrote me up for a very minor incident.

So I saw where this was going...

Before this job, I was an auto claims adjuster in Phoenix for a few years for USAA. I was looking at promoting into an auto field adjuster position with them when my wife left me and my life fell apart. I moved back up North and couldn't find any auto insurance claims jobs in my area. So I applied at the biggest company in the area in an entry level position and slowly made my way up to decent money.

Then last night, I was browsing the internet and saw an Auto Field Adjuster position with Progressive Insurance post. I immediately brushed up my resume, and applied for the job.

Ten hours later, I have an email from them wanting me to take a skills test and set up an interview.

The job involves working from home and a company car covering a large region in the area I grew up in. It would start at about $5000 more a year than what I make now, and about $15,000 more a year with a yearly bonus.

Pretty much my dream job and answered prayer. I've been begging God for months now to deliver me from my current job.

So, really, really excited for the opportunity and hoping I get the job. Maybe I'll stop being so disgruntled on here finally, lol.

rbuck351
07-03-2021, 10:47 AM
Wish you the best and hope you get the position. One needs to keep advancing his position in life for his family and for his personal well being. Best of luck. Buck

sparky45
07-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Great news 45Guy; best of luck in attaining the position.

pworley1
07-03-2021, 11:31 AM
That sounds good. I hope it all work out for you.

MrWolf
07-03-2021, 12:06 PM
Great news. Hoping everything works out for you.

Rizzo
07-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Hopefully you get that job OP.
Having a job that you enjoy, plus having a good boss will be a rejuvenating experience.
Best of luck.

PNW_Steve
07-03-2021, 12:32 PM
Prayers for a great interview &offer.

ascast
07-03-2021, 12:49 PM
I hope it works out for you. Your backstory is very familiar. 3rd shift will kill a normal person

Wag
07-03-2021, 01:04 PM
Best of luck to you!

--Wag--

nvbirdman
07-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Please tell us when (not if) you get the job.

XDROB
07-03-2021, 02:14 PM
Good luck with that new job. Things will be looking up for you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Walks
07-03-2021, 02:19 PM
All the Best for Your new job.

Winger Ed.
07-03-2021, 02:25 PM
Hope ya get it.

A life long friend's son is a claims adjuster for them.
He started off in the auto section, and now does claims adjusting for boats, RVs, motorcycles, and maybe light airplanes.
It's the 2nd job he's had since he got out of college around 2000 or so.
All this time, he's been about as happy with them as a dog is with a new stick.

clum553946
07-03-2021, 02:27 PM
Hope you get the job! Wishing you the best!

Parson
07-03-2021, 02:30 PM
I am very fortunate in never having a job I hated, feel sorry for those that dislike going to work because of job, boss or co-workers

skeettx
07-03-2021, 03:12 PM
Great
God is Good
Looking forward to updates
Mike

smoked turkey
07-03-2021, 04:07 PM
Idaho45guy I wish you the best on your job application. It sounds like a good fit for you and it would also have a nice increase in salary for you. I pray that you will be given your heart's desire.

Markopolo
07-03-2021, 04:13 PM
power of prayer!!!! wooo hoooo...

go get em!!!

Streetwalker
07-03-2021, 04:25 PM
Good luck to you and your new career path with Progressive! Sounds like you would have more empathy and understanding than the insurance adjuster that I dealt with at the Hartford.

Half Dog
07-03-2021, 04:31 PM
I’m wishing the best for you.

I’ve been in a similar situation before and I completely understand. Once, I made up my mind that I was going to walk off of a job on a certain day. I was offered a position with another company the day before I walked out. Keep us updated and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

hoodat
07-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Maybe you'll get to work with Flo and Jamie. Good luck man. jd

square butte
07-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Hoping and praying everything about your life improves with this new job - And that your season has arrived - In the name of Christ

jaysouth
07-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Sounds like your old job was a deadend. I sure hope you get a better job with room for advancement.

PhilC
07-03-2021, 06:13 PM
All the best and hope it's what you're looking for!

lightman
07-03-2021, 10:31 PM
Good Luck! I hope they offer it to you.

Idaho45guy
07-04-2021, 12:01 AM
Thank you all for the positive and uplifting replies!

I took an online skills test and think I did OK, but the last portion I messed up. The first was all about meaning of words and usage in a sentence and a lot of math involving percentages and averages. Super easy.

The second part was a phone answering exercise in which you had to update a customer's account, select best responses to questions, find the correct info, etc. Was pretty simple until the last bit where they wanted an order re-shipped to a new address. I didn't update the address before sending the new shipment, thinking I could specify the new address during the re-shipment process. Timed out before I could correct the mistake.

Was hoping for a perfect score, but the exercise had nothing to do with the actual position I applied for, so hoping I did well enough.

MrWolf
07-04-2021, 07:55 AM
Hate those tests especially when no clear answer. You've been away on vacation for a month (right there know it is bull) and you have ten items in your in basket. Rank them in order for responding. I really am getting crankier as I get older.

jdfoxinc
07-04-2021, 08:01 AM
No he has to work with Flo.

Thumbcocker
07-04-2021, 08:44 AM
Good luck.

high standard 40
07-04-2021, 08:50 AM
I hope your dream job becomes a reality. I envy people who can find a job they love to do. I started working in my dad's auto repair when I was very young. I partially retired when I reached 62 and fully retired at 65, I'm now 71. I worked in many different jobs during that time. It was my goal to do my absolute best at every job I held, but I'm almost ashamed to admit that I never held a job that i loved. It was all just "work". Retirement is pretty awesome. I still put in a full day of work most days, but now I'm "the boss" doing what I want to do. Again, best of luck with your new job.

Handloader109
07-04-2021, 08:53 AM
Hope you get the position. It is a real pain going to work where you aren't appreciated and you see no light at the end.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wch
07-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Good luck!
Let us know...

WRideout
07-04-2021, 02:20 PM
When I looked at all the replies that have been posted, I saw that you are a well-respected member of this community. I am very happy for you! These days, no one works at any company for an entire career, and in general people get a raise when they go to a different job. God bless you, brother.

Wayne

ruger1980
07-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Good luck I hope everything works out for you

dverna
07-04-2021, 08:02 PM
Good to hear you may have landed a job you really want....

Sad to see folks who never really enjoyed their jobs. It must be a challenge to do a great job when you hate being there every day for years with no hope of it getting better.

abunaitoo
07-05-2021, 02:02 AM
Hope you get it.
It sound like an interesting position.
Hope you like driving around.
Meeting new people.

lobogunleather
07-05-2021, 02:24 AM
Best wishes!

Life can be quite tedious when every day involves drudgery.

Idaho45guy
07-05-2021, 03:14 AM
Hope you get it.
It sound like an interesting position.
Hope you like driving around.
Meeting new people.

Best job I ever had was as a federal park ranger. My job was to drive around and BS with people about fishing and hunting and camping. Did that for four years until 9/11 happened. Got a job with the brand-new Department of Homeland Security. Was awful. Went into the insurance industry after that.

I figure driving around and BSing with people about cars and trucks will be almost as enjoyable.

Cosmic_Charlie
07-05-2021, 06:01 AM
In these times a job where you work independently is a God send. I cannot imagine being in a typical work place full of woke, TV watching idiots. Good luck to you!

No_1
07-05-2021, 06:14 AM
Congratulations! Everything happens for a reason when it is time.

Lloyd Smale
07-05-2021, 07:34 AM
good for you. I went full circle with my two favorite jobs. First one was the military for 8 years. I loved it but family problems make it not practical so i got out and became an electrical lineman for 30 and that brought me to my all time favorite position. Chief handloader, caster and shooter. Its a private company with only one employee. Congats on your new job though. I hope its what you are looking for.

richhodg66
07-05-2021, 10:26 AM
Best job I ever had was as a federal park ranger. My job was to drive around and BS with people about fishing and hunting and camping. Did that for four years until 9/11 happened. Got a job with the brand-new Department of Homeland Security. Was awful. Went into the insurance industry after that.

I figure driving around and BSing with people about cars and trucks will be almost as enjoyable.

I was 20, home from college for the Summer and took a seasonal help job out at a nearby state park on a big lake, emptying garbage cans in the camp ground, cleaning the bathrooms, mowing grass in the hot deep south, police call of the shoreline, etc. For $3.35 an hour minimum wage. Truth told, I loved it, the rangers who supervised us were all cool and treated us pretty well, I think they realized how much they needed guys like me in the Summer and didn't want us to quit. All the customers you interacted with were out there to have a good time camping, fishing, picnicing, etc., so they were all real friendly and glad to see you. It was hot, dirty work all day every day, but the treatment was good enough to make it OK, and it's a lot of fun for a kid to ride the running boards of a garbage truck at 75 MPH while you're joking with your buddies through the open windows.

Yeah, how people around you treat you makes a huge difference.