PDA

View Full Version : Lead Hording

JFriis
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
How much lead does it take to be called a Horder? :wink:

Seriously, how much lead do you keep on hand without feeling nervous about running low?

How much is wheel weights/scrap?
How much is smelted and ready to be bullets?

Willbird
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I can only speak for myself, but (2) 55 gallon drums full of ww and 1000 lbs smelted into ingots does not feel like NEARLY enough :-)

Bill

EMC45
01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
I have about 14 5 gallon buckets still un refined. I believe I am a horder.

dukenukum
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
no such thing as to much lead

01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
If you know how much you have, then you do not have enugh.

Freightman
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Lead! that will cause birth defects send me a PM and I will dispose of it for you! Wouldn't want you exposed to it.

legend
01-05-2009, 04:56 PM
i have enough

JeffinNZ
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I collect more than I shoot. As such I believe I am a horder............and not just lead. Ask SWMBO. :D

Gunslinger
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Hmm.... I figure I have about 500lbs of raw WWs, 50lbs in ingots ready to cast. Come summer I plan on mining our bank for about 1000lbs... THEN I think I can sleep at night... but I'm not really sure he he

mto7464
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
500lbs lino and 1000 pounds WW is less then a 2 years. I thought I am set but not sure now.

runfiverun
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
i have about 3500 lbs of ww's ingoted 500 lbs lino and 350 of pure or near pure.
i have a bit more to smelt up. but am searching for more.
i do shoot alot,and i will only shoot more as i get older and have more time.
heck who knows maybe one of the kids might wanna use some, they are gonna have a bunch of guns and equipment so they might want some lead to go with them.

JFriis
01-05-2009, 06:44 PM
I am relatively new to the hobby, addiction.
I just started collecting lead in August or so and began casting shortly after that.

Soon I discovered I had a problem. Where to store several hundred pounds of wheel weights and ingots?

Now my shed has two 55 gallon drums, one for wheel weights the other for ingots.
The one with ingots is about 1/3 full and the other is about 1/2 full.
I also have a line on 55 gallons more of unprocessed WWs although I only get to keep 1/2 of that.

After thats all gone I am sure I will continue my search for more lead...

hiram
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I cry when I look at what I have. -- It is not enough.

DLCTEX
01-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I have over a ton of unprocessed WW, a few hundred pounds of pure, couple hundred pounds of ingots, still collecting as I plan to be an active shooter at 100 years of age. If not, my grandchildren or great grandchildren (have 1 and 1 on the way)can cast with it.

shooting on a shoestring
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm in a near panic. I've got only two 5 gallon buckets of raw WWs, probably 150 lbs pure Pb, and less than 25 lbs of smelted WWs. I currently shoot as fast as I collect. I'm in a WW starved area. All my suppliers have dried up. Blessed are ye whose buckets runneth over.

I'm looking more fondly on my .32 cal muzzle loader these days than on my .45 Colt BH.

cohutt
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Closing on 2 tons.

This is the smelted part

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m284/cohutt/Smelt%20101/smelt026.jpg

Boerrancher
01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I have 2 five gal buckets of WWs, un-processed, about 500 lbs of lead water pipe, 300 lbs of processed WWs, and about 400 lbs of processed near pure lead. I am going to go to my favorite tire shop and grab another 5 gal bucket of WW, and as soon as I get a chance I will go to my favorite berm and mine another 4 or 5 hundred pounds. I will keep collecting lead until I either die or there is no more lead to collect.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mikeyd499
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Just getting started with smelting. I've got about 150 lbs smelted wheel weights and got a hundred lbs WW today at local scrap yard. Went by just to check and he had a 55 gal drum full. 100 was all I could afford today, will get more on payday friday if it's still there.

zdogk9
01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Cohut thats the wrong foot

part_timer
01-05-2009, 10:39 PM
If your nervous about not having enough then you are a horder.

I have about 1000lb of processed ww and 300 unprocessed. Maybe 300 lino and 300 pure. I'm working on a 55 gallon drum of ww's but we shall see.

Kraschenbirn
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Yesterday, I smelted the last of my accumulated scrap lead flashing...an old buddy who's a roofing contractor saves it for me...which brings my stock of pure and/or 30/1 up to around 225#. Also have nearly 200# of Lyman #2 and 75# of Lino already cast into ingots plus two nearly-full 5-gallon buckets (culled to remove Zn and Pb stick-ons) of WWs under the workbench along with 40-50# of range scrap.

Will undoubtedly keep scrounging but I figure, at my rate of use, I've got a pretty fair stock of the basics. Of course, those numbers don't take into account the 4 or 5,000 finished boolits stored in my reloading cabinet or the dozen .50 cal ammo cans of loaded rounds stacked in the basement.

Bill

mtgrs737
01-06-2009, 12:40 AM
My tag line says it all. LOL!

klw
01-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Got 4500 pounds with another 3000 on order. I'd buy more if I could find it.

mto7464
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I forgot, I have a friend that says he has about 1000lbs of lead pipe for me. More, more, all mine, mine, mine.

Gunslinger
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
:cool: I need to get better friends

cajun shooter
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Everybody that has posted, send me your address and I will help you dispose of all that lead. I need to show my wife this posting. She just thinks I have too much. No wonder It's hard to find, y'all have it.

mold maker
01-06-2009, 10:23 AM
At 67, I'm not worried about birth defects. With the loss of WW and lead supplies, I consider my hoard an investment for the future. I haven't looked, or weighed to see what I have, but I know it's not enough.
I added over 1900# last year from berms and near 300# of WW. When you can't get it, you can't shoot it, but remember, you have to have primers and powder to go with it.
When I'm dead and gone I want my Son to have all he needs, and it's good to know that I'm not as crazy as my wife says I am.

Gunslinger
01-06-2009, 11:04 AM
At 67, I'm not worried about birth defects. With the loss of WW and lead supplies, I consider my hoard an investment for the future. I haven't looked, or weighed to see what I have, but I know it's not enough.
I added over 1900# last year from berms and near 300# of WW. When you can't get it, you can't shoot it, but remember, you have to have primers and powder to go with it.
When I'm dead and gone I want my Son to have all he needs, and it's good to know that I'm not as crazy as my wife says I am.´

You are... we all are! At least that's what my folks think. But so far they've been pretty cool about me seizing half the garage for WW's and range scrap and what not... little do they no that I have only just begun :roll:

bbs70
01-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't consider myself as a horder, I just want enough so I won't have to worry about having enough in the future.

I just heard on the news that a lead mine in Missouri is going to cut back production.
I believe the amount was 5 million tons from 6 million a year.

Maybe I ought to start thinking about COLLECTING more lead.

Gunslinger
01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't consider myself as a horder, I just want enough so I won't have to worry about having enough in the future.

I just heard on the news that a lead mine in Missouri is going to cut back production.
I believe the amount was 5 million tons from 6 million a year.

Maybe I ought to start thinking about COLLECTING more lead.

Excuse me, but isn't that excactly what a horder is? Someone who is afraid he might run out of something one day, and thus stockpiles and stockpiles until he's got so much he dosen't know what to do with it :-D?

clintsfolly
01-06-2009, 05:00 PM
i may be close cleaning the barn and found 500lb of WW ingots i forgot i had!!!clint

bbs70
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Excuse me, but isn't that excactly what a horder is? Someone who is afraid he might run out of something one day, and thus stockpiles and stockpiles until he's got so much he dosen't know what to do with it :-D?

Well, maybe, but my definition of a horder is someone who gathers up every bit of something without any intention of using it.
A perfect example is Scrooge , gathering more and more money than they'll ever need and not spending it.:confused:
I have every intention of using the lead I acquire.
I shoot at least once a week weather permiting.
I shoot a 45 with 255 grain bullets and I usually shoot 4 to 5 hundred rounds everytime I go to the range.:Fire:
At 28 Boolits per pound, thats a lot of lead.
And considering I have only 500 # of lead, I don't believe I have enough.
Its awful hard to find lead in my area, so when I do find some I snatch it up.:D

mold maker
01-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Well,,,,I guess I'm hoarding molds, brass, powder, primers, tools, ammo, and guns, cause I don't plan on running out of any of them..............

Gunslinger
01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
If that's the kinda horder we're talking about then I agree! I couldn't imagine saving lead and not shooting!

4 to 5 hundred each week with the same gun is some nice shooting :). Surely at that rate I also would be a little nervous. Personally I can't shoot just one gun when I go to the range each saturday, with the exeption of really bad weather. I usually shoot 2-3 guns and at least one of my rifles! So when I start casting for two more weapons I too will see my supply decrease...

bbs70
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't know if I would call it nice shooting, but I try.
I also have a Glock 40 cal, but haven't got a barrel so I can shoot lead boolits, or it would be out at the range too.:-D

But darn that .45 is just so much fun to shoot that I can't resist shooting it.
I usually pin my targets to blocks of hardwood that I sometimes get at a sawmill and can retrieve most of my boolits.

I dig out the boolits that I can get to and then burn the wood in my firepit to melt lead for ingots, then clean the pit and get the rest of the boolit lead from it.

Not a bad idea for an old man.:-D

GabbyM
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Having to much lead would be like having to much gold.

I can barely get my car under my carport far enough to get out of the rain. Then theirs that 350 lb pile of 60/40 salvage solder wire laying on the floor that needs melting down into ingots.

jleneave
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know if I would call it nice shooting, but I try.
I also have a Glock 40 cal, but haven't got a barrel so I can shoot lead boolits, or it would be out at the range too.:-D

But darn that .45 is just so much fun to shoot that I can't resist shooting it.
I usually pin my targets to blocks of hardwood that I sometimes get at a sawmill and can retrieve most of my boolits.

I dig out the boolits that I can get to and then burn the wood in my firepit to melt lead for ingots, then clean the pit and get the rest of the boolit lead from it.

Not a bad idea for an old man.:-D

Is there a problem shooting cast bullets from a factory Glock barrel?? Just wondering because I have a couple that I was planning to cast bullets for and shooting out of the factory barrel. Thanks.

MtGun44
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Lots .40 Glocks have gone kaboom on reloads, mostly lead boolit
reloads, not all. Glock factory laughs and hangs up if you ask about
your kaboomed Glock getting fixed by them. Some claim to understand
why, I do not. Significant numbers of Glock .40s have kaboomed with
factory ammo, too.

Some aftermarket bbls are claimed to be OK with lead. I do not own any
Glocks so this is just what my Glock friends tell me.

I'd find out more before I tried lead in any Glock, but esp .40 cal.

Bill

jleneave
01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
factory ammo, too.

Bill

Bill,
Thanks for answering my question. I will do some research before shooting lead in my Glocks. Take care.

Jody

bbs70
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
From what I've been told the glock has an undersupported barrel, therefore reloads are considered a no no.
But I've heard that factory ammo has caused some glocks to go kaboom.
Don't know if this problem is just with the 40 or with all glocks.
I've reloaded jhp for my Glock and had no trouble what so ever with them.

As far as lead boolits, because of the type of rifleing in the barrel a lead boolit would foul it up fast and accuracy would go to pot.
Also the build up of lead in the barrel could cause too high pressures.

Thinking about a new barrel for your Glock, check out Lone Wolf barrels.
I've heard real good reports on them and they are less expensive than other barrels.
And they have conventional lands and grooves.

The one for my Glock model 22 40 cal runs 100, and it is a drop in replacement.

Randall
01-09-2009, 03:59 PM
factory ammo, too.

Bill

But what about................................... Glock Perfection?[smilie=1:

WHITETAIL
01-10-2009, 09:26 AM
There is no such thing as too much lead.
Except when someone elts has it, insted of me.:cbpour:

largecaliberman
01-11-2009, 03:53 AM
After selling over 10 tons through local fishing suppliers, various websites and evil bay, I decided to hold back on the last 4-5 tons or range lead. I have around 2 tons of lino and probable 800 - 900 lbs of solder recovered from various radiator shops. NOW------since I sold the 10+tons and bought reloading equipment, 4 handguns and bought the wife a Louie Vitton bag ($1480.00) and paid my daughter's room and board in college----I guess that does not make me a hoarder.

However, whenever I have a chance to acquire FREE lead and lino....does that make me a hoarder.

jleneave
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
From what I've been told the glock has an undersupported barrel, therefore reloads are considered a no no.
But I've heard that factory ammo has caused some glocks to go kaboom.
Don't know if this problem is just with the 40 or with all glocks.
I've reloaded jhp for my Glock and had no trouble what so ever with them.

As far as lead boolits, because of the type of rifleing in the barrel a lead boolit would foul it up fast and accuracy would go to pot.
Also the build up of lead in the barrel could cause too high pressures.

Thinking about a new barrel for your Glock, check out Lone Wolf barrels.
I've heard real good reports on them and they are less expensive than other barrels.
And they have conventional lands and grooves.

The one for my Glock model 22 40 cal runs 100, and it is a drop in replacement.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I think that I will take your advice and check into one of the Lone Wolf barrels. I was planning to shoot cast from my Glocks model 23, 21, and 30. But now I will probably just get the Lone Wolf Barrel for the 23 and shoot my cast .45 bullets out of my 1911s. Thanks again.

Sorry, for getting off subject here.

Jody

BOOM BOOM
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
HI
I despaired of ever getting enough so decided to recycle, built a bullet trap.
Do a subject search ,several of us have built & posted our designs & results .:Fire::Fire::Fire:

jnovotny
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Have right at a ton all ingoted up. Not near enough need more..........

bbs70
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
I just realized today that I AM A LEAD HORDER.
There is no hope for me!
I feel so dirty!, well almost.:-D
Is there a 13 step plan out there for people like me?
Oh woe is me.

The reason for my down fall you ask.
Well here is my sad story.

I picked up 75 lbs of ww from a local tire shop last friday.
Figured with that and the ww I already had cast into ingots I would have enough for a while.
No sense being greedy about it, right.
NOOOOO, not me.
I had received a call from a mechanic at a dealership in Springfield (50 miles north of me from an ad I had run on Craigs list wanting scrap lead) he said he had about 50 lbs of wheel weights (turned out to be 125 lbs).
We agreed on 20 a lb and I was to pick them up today since I had some other things to pick up in Springfield.
Now here is where I went wrong.
I decided to take a different route to Springfield rather than the boring interstate.
Well, on the way there I saw a dealership and decided what the heck, it doesn't hurt to ask if they had any ww.
Most dealers in my area won't sell them or someone else has already spoken for them.
To my suprise they had some and sold them to me (100 + lbs)

Man that got me going, and I was looking at every shop and dealership on the way drooling like an idiot.
The only problem I had was I didn't have enough cash on me, so I decided there was no use in stopping till I had the hard cash with me.
So now I need an excuse to got back to Springfield.

Please, if anyone out there has had this problem, how did you get over it.
Or should I just kick back and enjoy.

Signed:
Hopeless in Illinois

MT Gianni
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I just realized today that I AM A LEAD HORDER.

Please, if anyone out there has had this problem, how did you get over it.
Or should I just kick back and enjoy.

Signed:
Hopeless in Illinois

ATM machines, this must be why they were invented.

bbs70
01-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm afraid of those things, I'm afraid I won't stop.

jdgabbard
01-20-2009, 10:35 PM
All you guys make me sad. I must say I've been casting for a couple of months now. And can honestly say that I am down to about 20 pounds. With little if any hopes of aquiring any more lead unless I buy it from Evilbay.

Any hopes of the more fortunate taking up a collection in the form of ingots?