PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell Primers?

W.R.Buchanan
07-01-2021, 07:49 PM
In case you haven't noticed Primers of all types are in short supply. But Shotshell Primers are in especially short supply.

I was talking to a friend who owns a LGS and he told be that the word he is getting from Domestic Primer Producers is that the Biden State Dept. has slapped a bunch of regulations on the importation of primers from outside the US.

The result is that the Domestic Producers are overwhelmed trying to take up the slack.

There is alot of people working in this government that really need to go. And however they end up going is just fine with me!

It has never been this bad! Our country is falling! People say Russia and China are to blame?

They aren't to blame, they are just sitting back watching the "Useful Idiots" do their bidding for them.

We are in Big Trouble!

If anyone has any 209 Primers they would be willing to part with PM ME!

Thanks Randy

too many things
07-01-2021, 09:40 PM
and you are in the state that starts it all

dverna
07-01-2021, 09:57 PM
Randy,
I have about 20k “excess” Winchester 209’s. Just no way to get then to you.

rancher1913
07-01-2021, 10:48 PM
funny how stuff works, when the primer shortage started you could still find 209's untill about 3 or 4 months into the shortage and now regular primers are starting to show up on shelves but 209's are nowhere to be seen.

6pt-sika
07-01-2021, 11:16 PM
I’ve got over 10 thousand closer to 15 I think . Anyway none of those are for sale and I have wants out with all our distributors for ATLEAST 10 thousand more . Bought forty bags of shot the other day and will pickup at a SxS shoot the end of this month in PA . I’m pretty good on 8’s and 9’s but am about out of 7 1/2’s which make up over 75% of what I purchased . Also have the word out with our distributers for two 8’s of Unique , no I’m not low but I like reserves .

rking22
07-02-2021, 12:59 AM
Interesting, I am picking up 5000 Cheddites tomorrow from our club order. I thought it might be getting back normalish. Price is about 10% above last year, fairly reasonable. Got some 410 wads in there too. I passed on more shot at 46$ a bag. Might regret that, but I’m good for a while, a goodly while.

MrWolf
07-02-2021, 07:57 AM
I still have my stash from when my son and I used to trap shoot. Told him I saw the price for a bag of magnum shot. It was almost three times higher than a load I had bought previously. Unbelievable.

Been said before, the only way to destroy our country is from within. Make no mistake that they want us destroyed. There is no more we'll I like some of their positions as it is all or nothing now. Shame but true.

richhodg66
07-02-2021, 08:38 AM
We just went through the new Dunham's Sports in Salina and I was surprised to see CCI 209 primers on the shelf. They were $8 per 100, and I didn't need them that badly, but I was still buying shotgun primers locally quite a while after everything else dissappeared.

smkummer
07-02-2021, 09:18 AM
Yep, same at my local trapnrange. Cheditte 9’s we’re $50 per 1k and now they are out. Last time I was there, she had a few primers in but no 7 1/2, 8 or 9 shot. Some powder but no 700X. She had 12, 20 gauge a few 410, but you don’t get a choice on shot size, brand or power level. I am still good for awhile or easily 2 years. Towards the end of my sons trap shooting days, I bought a Shannon shot makes when shot hit $25 a pound!

eastbank
07-02-2021, 11:45 AM
our walmart had a large shipment of federal 12-20 ga shotgun shells, #7.5-8 shot, a little over 22.00 for a four pack(100 shells.), i stocked up.

dsh1106
07-02-2021, 02:27 PM
The Walmarts around here decided to go full blown liberal.... pulled all the ammo and all the guns.... not selling either anymore. A few other stores did the same.

None of the other suppliers around here have any reloading supplies on the shelves. Ammo for some calibers is available in limited quantities.

ih772
07-02-2021, 04:15 PM
The only primers I've been able to buy locally are shotgun primers. They keep coming back into stock however any other type of primer has been OOS for over a year.

richhodg66
07-02-2021, 05:28 PM
our walmart had a large shipment of federal 12-20 ga shotgun shells, #7.5-8 shot, a little over 22.00 for a four pack(100 shells.), i stocked up.

I wish our Wal Marts would get those back in again. I enjoy trap shooting and those 100 packs are the way to go, you almost couldn't buy the shot in them for what Wal Mart sells them for.

The good news about availability problems is that it finally got me off my butt and got out all this shotgun reloading stuff I have accumulated and start loading my own. I put 50 together yesterday to try out this weekend.

6pt-sika
07-03-2021, 12:21 AM
I got 5,000 Chedditte primers today . Paid more than I wanted to but there’s a certain amount of comfort in having rather than not . The case of CB 20 gauge wads and the card/nitro wads arrived from Precision today . Still like to get 5,000 more 209’s and 16 pounds of Unique but I’ve got plenty options . Going to a SxS 20/28 shoot July 10th I may just shoot 28 gauge factory #8’s .

megasupermagnum
07-03-2021, 01:49 AM
Things turned out a lot worse then I thought unfortunately. I knew last year and this year would be a shortage, everybody should have, but I never thought we would see another Obama era shortage so soon. What is so bad about this is that it isn't only firearms, there is nothing right now that is easy to get, or reasonably priced. Oddly, gasoline is the only thing good right now, and I wouldn't count on that lasting much longer.

I planned and prepared for this eventuality, and got myself what I believe at least an 8 year supply of shooting. My game plan now is to keep my head down, and wait for this to pass like the last one. Sorry I can't spare any more shotgun primers. I sold all my extras last year.

trapper9260
07-03-2021, 05:11 AM
I still have my stash from when my son and I used to trap shoot. Told him I saw the price for a bag of magnum shot. It was almost three times higher than a load I had bought previously. Unbelievable.

Been said before, the only way to destroy our country is from within. Make no mistake that they want us destroyed. There is no more we'll I like some of their positions as it is all or nothing now. Shame but true.

This remind me that when early this year I was going through some boxes from when I had move years ago and I had the box mark for shoot , open it I had a bad of #6 ,8 shot . the price on the bag was about $14 + for a bag , As for short on primers might need to get into reload them for yourselves I still have what I need on primers , but if it get to that I running out I will reload them , I had posted in the past how I do it for all primers .

frkelly74
07-03-2021, 06:45 AM
I have a small supply of Winchester 209 primers that I have been putting into AA hulls and they work fine. I got some pristine looking Federal hulls and oddly, the winchester primers tend to fall out . Are Federal primers different or is something wrong with the hulls?

I got a 25 lb bag of 7 1/2 shot for about $42 last tuesday and felt fortunate to find it.

Shawlerbrook
07-03-2021, 07:32 AM
This will end up making the Clinton/Obama supply crisis look like a walk in the park. Longer and when it ends prices will not fall to anywhere near where they were. I don’t shoot as much as I did as a young man and hopefully have an emergency supply that will last. Keep your powder dry !

BIGOX
07-03-2021, 10:57 AM
Randy, Ojia, Ca. That's real close to me. I just picked up some cheddite 209s. Also give Camarillo gun store a call from time to time. Carlton is a good man. I'll PM you.

I've had luck recently on midway, midsouth shooters, and brownells for both powders and primers. Prices are high but not many options. When I travel to the east coast for work sometimes I hit up walmarts for those 100 packs of shotshells. Limt of 3 a day

mac60
07-03-2021, 10:16 PM
I check Ballistic products every day. A few weeks ago I noticed they had Cheddite 209's in stock and snagged 5,000. That should be a lifetime supply for me. So, they're out there from time to time. Just gotta be in the right place at the right time I guess.

6pt-sika
07-03-2021, 11:53 PM
I check Ballistic products every day. A few weeks ago I noticed they had Cheddite 209's in stock and snagged 5,000. That should be a lifetime supply for me. So, they're out there from time to time. Just gotta be in the right place at the right time I guess.

Hmmmm , as they say “everything’s relative” . Anyway this time last year I had close to 25,000 209’s all for my own use . I maybe have 13,000 on hand with another 6,000 coming to me . Anyway point being I’ve loaded 12,000 shells for myself since I had 25,000 at once . No I’ve not shot them all . But sometimes I get on a loading jag and primers disappear mighty quick . I’ve got a bunch of factory target and field loads I’ve picked up over the past few years as well . But I’m ALWAYS looking for stuff , I try to have more than I’ll ever need . Optimum situation would be when I die have maybe 5,000 primers and a few thousand loaded shells on hand . But I shoot close to 10,000 a year now and I’m no where near what I’d call an over zealous shooter .

jsizemore
07-04-2021, 09:09 AM
Last gunshow had both centerfire and shotgun primers. Local dealers have none. Centerfire were over $200/1000. Shotgun was plentiful but $100-150/1000. I got plenty to shoot a little of everything but not just one type.

BIGOX
07-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Last gunshow had both centerfire and shotgun primers. Local dealers have none. Centerfire were over $200/1000. Shotgun was plentiful but $100-150/1000. I got plenty to shoot a little of everything but not just one type.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. Are you from California also because those were the same price I saw at the last gunshow here in so Cal. I did notice a lot more Federal Gold Match Primers out there but most of the 209s were almost all random old stock from 80s and 90s lots of powder was selling at $50 a lb but you could still find old stock powder for about $35. I also have a small supply of different types of 209s but I haven't had an opportunity to get out and shoot since early this year so I should be fine.

jsizemore
07-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Sounds like we are in the same boat. Are you from California also because those were the same price I saw at the last gunshow here in so Cal. I did notice a lot more Federal Gold Match Primers out there but most of the 209s were almost all random old stock from 80s and 90s lots of powder was selling at $50 a lb but you could still find old stock powder for about $35. I also have a small supply of different types of 209s but I haven't had an opportunity to get out and shoot since early this year so I should be fine.

Raleigh, NC area. That was Dixie Gun and Knife. Got a smaller show coming up July 10/11 I'm gonna check out. Federal Gold Metal Match was $345!!!!!! per 1000!!!!!

BIGOX
07-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Raleigh, NC area. That was Dixie Gun and Knife. Got a smaller show coming up July 10/11 I'm gonna check out. Federal Gold Metal Match was $345!!!!!! per 1000!!!!!

WOW $325 that's insane. I probably won't be able to get another show in till late fall when my schedule opens up again. I know the few LGS that get primers in and at a decent price also between $35 and $60 but they are random when they come in and they have long lines just to see if they have any. I just don't have the time to wait in line for an hour just to see if they have anything.

mac60
07-05-2021, 12:19 PM
Hmmmm , as they say “everything’s relative” . Anyway this time last year I had close to 25,000 209’s all for my own use . I maybe have 13,000 on hand with another 6,000 coming to me . Anyway point being I’ve loaded 12,000 shells for myself since I had 25,000 at once . No I’ve not shot them all . But sometimes I get on a loading jag and primers disappear mighty quick . I’ve got a bunch of factory target and field loads I’ve picked up over the past few years as well . But I’m ALWAYS looking for stuff , I try to have more than I’ll ever need . Optimum situation would be when I die have maybe 5,000 primers and a few thousand loaded shells on hand . But I shoot close to 10,000 a year now and I’m no where near what I’d call an over zealous shooter .

Yea, right you are. "Everything's relative". I just don't shoot that many shotshells, a few slugs to hunt with, a few 2 3/4" #5 game loads for squirrels and some random buckshot loads. Over the years I've enjoyed your posts and admired some of the fine shotguns in your collection.

W.R.Buchanan
07-05-2021, 06:19 PM
The current Primer issue has been solved. I got 2 bricks of Cheddites for $60 each which was the best price I have seen lately.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Randy

Blood Trail
07-09-2021, 11:55 AM
I’m sitting on quite a few, but luckily, I got around 15k primed hulls. That should get me by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markopolo
07-09-2021, 12:07 PM
i stocked way up when they were available thank God. i also use 209 in my inline guns, so I doubled up. around here, it is a rule to stock up always on things that are available. save for a rainy day!

stubshaft
07-09-2021, 03:23 PM
There are none to be had in any of my LGS and being in Hawaii means that no one will ship any to me either.

BIGOX
07-17-2021, 07:10 AM
Cheddite 209s are in stock at Ballistic Products with a limit of 5k. Comes out to about $50 after taxes fees and shipping. Act fast

Blood Trail
07-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Guys, use my discount code for a reduced hazmat fee. It’s HAZ21X for BPI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLINTNFIRE
07-17-2021, 03:50 PM
i stocked way up when they were available thank God. i also use 209 in my inline guns, so I doubled up. around here, it is a rule to stock up always on things that are available. save for a rainy day!

Having logged right next door on Long Island I would have to say the rainy day was at that time almost every day , nice country I can still remember the spring water up high on the cliff above dova bay , some good memories .