PDA

View Full Version : A decent lead price?

Lead melter
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
The local salvage yard will not sell scrap anything to the public. There are three stained glass studios locally.

The one where I have made 3 buys in the past has sold all their scrap just after Christmas. Their product was about 30% glazing compound, screws, glass chips, tacks, etc. The last buy I made from them about 2 years ago was for 15 cents per pound.

Studio number 2 has contracted out their scrap cuttings to an individual. The rep from the studio has his product is "clean" and the buyer is paying 25 cents per pound, which the rep claims is a little high.

The third studio has about 2300 lbs, give or take, of cuttings that are clean. I saw it just this morning. The honch says he will sell all of it to me for an even grand, or if I want a partial, then we will work out a price. The total lot price works out to about 44 cents per pound, and if I figure on dross, impurities, container weight, etc, I'm looking at about 50 cents per pound. I'm thinking about offering the buy to a couple of casting buddies to go in with me, but don't know if the price is in line or not.

Seems a little high with scrap lead prices on the indexes running about the same, but on large lots. Then again, I can't seem to get it anywhere else.

Think this is a shaft job?

randyrat
01-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi there Mark, Thats a tough question...................
You could offer him a take it or leave it money offer and wait a week, he may just go for it. Lets say $800 for the lot............
Also mention the price of lead dropped through the roof.
How far do you have to haul it? Shipping is costly even if you have to haul yourself.
Is it easy to smelt ie..small peices? Quality of it?
On the other hand it would provide a lot of boolits for a long time for you with one big haul.
I don't beleive it would be a foolish deal- my opinion
It would still be cheaper than buying bullets.
Good luck whatever you decide, let us know what you decided to do.

badgeredd
01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.recycle.net/Metal-N/Lead/index.html?affilid=100000

Here's a web site to check current recycler prices paid for scrap. Mixed lead is $.32 a pound while WW are $.21 a pound. I use the TL price because the recycler would sell their scap at this price. The LTL price is about what they'd pay you for scrap. I hope it helps you. Also I bookmarked the site so I can check the price whenever I go WW hunting.

Edd

Lead melter
01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.recycle.net/Metal-N/Lead/index.html?affilid=100000

Here's a web site to check current recycler prices paid for scrap. Mixed lead is $.32 a pound while WW are $.21 a pound. I use the TL price because the recycler would sell their scap at this price. The LTL price is about what they'd pay you for scrap. I hope it helps you. Also I bookmarked the site so I can check the price whenever I go WW hunting.

Edd

Thanks, that helps a bunch!:-D

MoldyJoe
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Another Newby here, I have been searching all the tire shops in the area, and at most all I could get is a handfull or two. Of the 6-8 scrap yards in the area only 2 have or will sell Lead. These want .55 and .50 cents a pound for WW, mixed, etc. Still looking for a good deal. Sorry I gave MT Gianni so much before I was bitten by the bug. Joe

Seafarer12
01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
For that much I would want a lower price. We arent talking about 50 pounds here. I would check what the scrap yard is paying. Then I would talk to the guy and tell him what the scrap dealer is paying and offer him a little more. If he doesnt like it say well call me when you want to deal and walk.

badgeredd
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I picked up 120 pounds of WW yesterday. The manager asked what the price was for WW on the website I was checking. I told him it was $0.21/pound. He said ok at which time I told him I didn't have a problem with the 25 cents I had been paying. He says ok and charged me $25 for the 120 pound bucket. He said that since I supplied the pail, and picked them up, he figured that was fair to us both. Of course I said "Thank you" and walked out a happy camper.

He has been happy with me picking them up and it makes his life a bit easier too. I found out the the local scrap yard had offered him 15 cents a pound late last week and he told them he had a fellow that picked them up and paid a fair price. Obviously I have kept him happy with some home made cookies at Christmas time and a couple boxes of donuts before that. Keep at it guys and cultivate your find.

Edd

45&30-30
01-08-2009, 12:28 AM
I went yesterday and hit 3 tire stores, one told me they recycled them, one gave me 60+ pounds and another told me to come back Thursday and he would have a bucket for me. 100#'s. I stopped by the junk dealer and bought 60#'s of linotype, still set as type, for $30. He told me if I could wait that he thought the price would go down in the next month or so. He had about 100#'s more. That was my experience hope it helps.