PDA

View Full Version : New S&W .327 Mag.

S.R.Custom
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM
All steel, 3" barrel, and comped. Not what I'd pick for a carry gun. This strikes me more as a range toy or house gun for midgets...

Link. (http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2009/01/03/smith-and-wesson-introduces-model-632-revolver-in-327-magnum/)

I'm not looking for S&W's stock price to go up any time soon.

9.3X62AL
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Lose the compensator, add 1" of barrel length, and I'd be on it. Until then, not gonna happen.

Handguns get used for more than just CCW, for cryin' out loud.

S.R.Custom
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM

Well then, they needed to put it on an 'L' frame and put 10 holes in the cylinder...

For a company that for so many years was on the forefront of innovation and quality, these days they seem to be little concerned about either... With this thing they have compromised away every desirable characteristic one could possibly want in a new model handgun for the sake of only having to make one gun.

I'm hoping there's more to come.

GabbyM
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
When they offer a 4” without that compensator I'll just have to get one. Would be a great trail gun.

All that said putting a compensator on any pistol or revolver that may be fired at night is ***** stupid. 32 mags don't kick anyway.

SKU: 170329
Model: 632 Carry Comp
Caliber: .327MAG
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Action: Single/Double Action
Barrel Length: 3" Full Lug
Front Sight: Pinned Serrated Ramp
Rear Sight: S&W Adjustable
Overall Length: 7 1/2"
Weight Empty: 24.5 oz.
Grip: Synthetic
Material: Stainless Steel Frame and Cylinder
Finish: Matte Black

jameslovesjammie
01-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Moonclipped 10 shot N frame with a 5" barrel with a high polish blued finish and I'm there!

-try telling that to any of the revolver guys at THR. If a gun isn't either a CCW gun or a safe queen, it is a piece of garbage. I once basically told I was stupid because I mentioned that a gun they all called "perfect" needed 2 inches of extra barrel and adjustable sights. BY A MODERATOR.

pumpguy
01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
New S&W .327 Mag.

Yawn. Wake me when it's over............

Heavy lead
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Me too, gee a 1000 dollar too heavy pocket pistol. If you want a new Smith you got two choices a midget gun, or a hand rifle that generates 60k psi. What ever happen to the K,L, and N frames. Guess we're stuck with the J and X huh?

9.3X62AL
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I E-mailed Smith & Wesson on the subject of the 327 Federal roll-out today, staying positive in tone but gently pointing out that a general-purpose small-frame or medium-frame revolver MIGHT NOT BE A BAD IDEA. Heavy Lead, you summed it up nicely.

JLJ, THR can have their own opinions--and welcome. I think we're a more tolerant and open-minded lot at Cast Boolits than what you describe as the conditions prevailing at THR, but I don't want any issues with their administration or membership. Respectful and courteous is my watchword on that subject.

Bret4207
01-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Re- THR- I post there occasionally. There are few good guys and the rest seem to be ninja wannabees and tinfoilhat cowboys. There are also a few out and out liars there. Don't worry about them.

How bout a J frame with a 5" barrel in blue? Please?

GrizzLeeBear
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Why put porting on a gun chambered in a round known for mild recoil but being LOUD? Just make it LOUDER.

Charter Arms makes a .327 in a 4" adjustable sight model, but I've heard mixed reviews of Charter's quality. Still, might make a fun field gun.

A 6" adjustable sight single-six (or even a SP101 but it would be heavy) would be a dandy (Ruger you listening?).

Bret, the 5" J frame would be a nice one, too. If they make more than 50 of them so they don't become an instant "collectors item".

The .327 could be a great field cartridge in a longer barrel gun, but unfortunately it looks like its been pidgeon holed as a defensive round in short barreled guns.

S.R.Custom
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
...The .327 could be a great field cartridge in a longer barrel gun, but unfortunately it looks like its been pidgeon holed as a defensive round in short barreled guns.

That's to be expected, really, for two reasons... One, the .327 was meant to be an upgrade of the .32 H&R Mag to a genuine defensive round. The H&R has always had somewhat of a cult following as a CCW revolver round.

Secondly, in a full size revolver, what does the .327 do that the 32-20 and .30 carbine don't do already? When you think about it, the .327 is a carbine round with a roll crimp.

Crash_Corrigan
01-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I have a Ruger BH 7 1/2 bbl" .30 Carbine that is just plain fun to shoot with cast boolits. Very loud but pretty accurate up to 50 yds. I have a steel plate with the 3" hole and a flapper that throws up a flag when hit. At 50 yds I can hit the danged thing more often then not with the BH. Of course everybody on the line wants to shoot it because of the blast and flash. At night it really lights up the area!

I just picked up a Charter 2.2" bbl 327 Magnum and I will probably get to shoot it this week if I can get a ride to the range. [smilie=2:

I have no idea why I bought it? It does have a decent single action trigger but double action is going to need some work. The sights are decent and the fit and finish of the weapon is good. It is not a Smith or Colt but it seems that the quality is there.

The original owner complained to Charter about the gun shooting to the left and rounds sticking in the chambers. He sent it back to Charter and they tweaked the barrel and replaced the cylinder but since the owner was a true 1911 fan he decided to unload it to me.

I have been dry firing it and yesterday got the RCBS mold from Midway and I cast 80 boolits from the 32-98 GR SWC Mould. They cast really fast and easy with very few rejects from stright ww's.

They miked at .313-.314 and WEIGHED 102 gr. I need to LLA them and then assemble the rounds. I am undecided if I am gonna size 'em thru the Lee 314 sizer of just shoot 'em as cast. I am gonna try both ways and see what works the best.

Per the Hogdon Website with Clays powder a 90 GR LRNFP takes a load of 3.5 to 4.2 gr and should produce 1186 FPS. A 115 GR LRNFP with 3.0 to 3.7 will top out at 1017.

Seeing as I will be running a LSWC of 102 GR I plan to load 3.5 gr of Clays as the middle load. I will make 10 at 3.1, 3.2,3.5 and 3.7 and see what the targets tell me. Starting out at 3.1 and 10 yds on a paper target and working my way up the line to see where the accuracy is.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I've watched all the TV adds and read the mag articles. As an old LEO who did lots of revolver shooting, carried one for years and studied and taught LEO street survival and studied actual shooting incidents for years I've got to ask; if you haven't got it done with 5 rounds of .38/.357 do you really think you'll get it done with 6 rounds of .327?

I also think the market for this cartridge is in the other direction than CCW. I would like to see it in a revolver with good adjustable sights and a 5 or 6" barrel for a light weight trail gun. I love my original run 6" Ruger Single Six .32 H&R for just that reason. I also have a sweet S&W M30 with 3" barrel in .32S&WL. It makes for a nice "kit" gun. It does very nicely for its intended purpose. If I was really worried about double legged miscreants on the trail I'd be packing my .44 or M1911 but most probably a rifle. However a good small frame in .38/37 would be better than the .327. I do not buy off on the "almost as good as" hype; either it is or it isn't.

The .327 might prove to be a versitile trail cartridge if it ever gets marketed that way. But I don't see it cutting much into the .38/.357 small frame revolver sales. Frankly, if I want more than the .32 H&R I go straight to the .38/.357. I don't try to make a .357 out of my .32 H&R and don't see any advantage to a .327 that is "almost as good as".

Larry Gibson

Willbird
01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I've watched all the TV adds and read the mag articles. As an old LEO who did lots of revolver shooting, carried one for years and studied and taught LEO street survival and studied actual shooting incidents for years I've got to ask; if you haven't got it done with 5 rounds of .38/.357 do you really think you'll get it done with 6 rounds of .327?

I also think the market for this cartridge is in the other direction than CCW. I would like to see it in a revolver with good adjustable sights and a 5 or 6" barrel for a light weight trail gun. I love my original run 6" Ruger Single Six .32 H&R for just that reason. I also have a sweet S&W M30 with 3" barrel in .32S&WL. It makes for a nice "kit" gun. It does very nicely for its intended purpose. If I was really worried about double legged miscreants on the trail I'd be packing my .44 or M1911 but most probably a rifle. However a good small frame in .38/37 would be better than the .327. I do not buy off on the "almost as good as" hype; either it is or it isn't.

The .327 might prove to be a versitile trail cartridge if it ever gets marketed that way. But I don't see it cutting much into the .38/.357 small frame revolver sales. Frankly, if I want more than the .32 H&R I go straight to the .38/.357. I don't try to make a .357 out of my .32 H&R and don't see any advantage to a .327 that is "almost as good as".

Larry Gibson

It seems the ammo makers more and more are trending to wards lighter bullets, this situation leads to the 327 magnum firing the same weight bullets as many popular +p 38 special loadings out there.

Being a NEW cartridge it allows some leeway in chamber pressures we could never have for 38 special, any +p 38 special ammo for the most part has to be mild enough to not take some weak 38 specials apart like a hand grenade.

I for one would welcome 6 rounds instead of five, it is common practice to assign two bullets per goblin, and if there is a third guy I would hate to slight him or cheat him out of his second bullet :-). The SP101 6 shot looks interesting.

Bill

Kuato
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
"The Carry Comp Pro features the Power Port™ technology to help tame recoil."

BWAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaa!!! Recoil?! LMAO!

As far as I'm concerned, the ONLY difference between a new S&W & a bucket of crap, is the BUCKET! As far as 327fed, a niche caliber.. 357Mag is by far a better cal, & more readily available. Looks like gun design has peetered out. Now they have to introduce calibers that dont do any better than whats already out there.
Some would argue that the 327Mag has less felt recoil than a 357Mag. Yea, mebeso. But In a shootout, you don't notice recoil anyway (at least I didn't). So to me, the less felt recoil thing is a moot point...
"Per the Hogdon Website with Clays powder a 90 GR LRNFP takes a load of 3.5 to 4.2 gr and should produce 1186 FPS".
9mm Luger with a 90gr LRN will go 1455fps with 231 AND I get 10 extra rounds....New whizbang caliber? NOPE!

9.3X62AL
01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Bottm line--there are more and better calibers for SD/CCW than the 32 Magnum or 327 Federal. The 327 is a MUCH better Kit Gun or trail gun caliber, and should be marketed as such--as the 32 Magnum should have been. Unfortunately, the gunmakers and their Madison Avenue ad consultants are "up and locked" on the subject of CCW, and can't see past that. The 327 will languish for the same reason the 32 Magnum did--it was thrust into the wrong market niche, and that wrong niche was a lot smaller than its more proper tasking.

mike in co
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
well here we go again....
think every statement was already made on the original thread.

why 6 instead of 5...cause it's one more, plain and simple....oh the one more is in the same size gun that has only 5, so why take 5 when 6 is available ?

people that carry 38s can go to a 327, and pick up a round.

people that carry 357's loaded with 38....cause they cannot handle 357 in a small frame, can now have a lighter gun, 6 rounds and a ton more powder than thier 38 loads without the kick of the 357.

for those that carry a 357 and can handle it, but dont like the size and weight....they can now carry more than a 38, without the weight of the 357 gun.

dont see any where where it was marketed as a trail gun. if it survies as a pocket pistol/selfdefense gun, you may then see some larger variations.

my local stores still have not had any in stock from any maker, i do want to handle one.

having said that, i have ordered 4 p64 9mak pistols....smaller flatter, 6 plus 1 , and a tad up from 380 and is a close match for a 38s&w in power.....( more pressure.larger dia bullet)

for all of those with closed minds that say "why", open your mind...there is a niche and a market.

let the opinions begin...

mike in co
and general revolver hater.....
( yes i own a few)

Kuato
01-06-2009, 09:59 PM

why 6 instead of 5...cause it's one more, plain and simple....oh the one more is in the same size gun that has only 5, so why take 5 when 6 is available ?

people that carry 357's loaded with 38....cause they cannot handle 357 in a small frame, can now have a lighter gun, 6 rounds and a ton more powder than thier 38 loads without the kick of the 357.

for those that carry a 357 and can handle it, but dont like the size and weight....they can now carry more than a 38, without the weight of the 357 gun.

dont see any where where it was marketed as a trail gun. if it survies as a pocket pistol/selfdefense gun, you may then see some larger variations.

my local stores still have not had any in stock from any maker, i do want to handle one.

having said that, i have ordered 4 p64 9mak pistols....smaller flatter, 6 plus 1 , and a tad up from 380 and is a close match for a 38s&w in power.....( more pressure.larger dia bullet)

for all of those with closed minds that say "why", open your mind...there is a niche and a market.

mike in co
( yes i own a few)

WOW! Sounds like the same thing they said about the 32 H&R.. Look how well that worked....[smilie=1:

Bret4207
01-07-2009, 07:52 AM

mike in co
( yes i own a few)

No argument here Mike. Yes, the earth did just stand still!:mrgreen: Niche markets are what keeps most everything going. We could all get along very, very well with a 12 gauge, a 22 rifle, an '06 or 35 Whelen and a 357 or 44 or 45. Kinda boring though. I also feel the 327 is being marketed incorrectly as was the 32 Mag, but since I'm not running things all I can do is shake my head in wonder. The 32's are perfect field guns and should be marketed for that niche.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2009, 01:25 PM
"The 32's are perfect field guns and should be marketed for that niche."

My point exactly.

Larry Gibson

Willbird
01-07-2009, 02:33 PM
The 32 H&R is not a "dead" ctg.

The reason I say this is because my brother in law bought a smith 32 H&R snub about 3 years ago, he decided on 32 H&R because he felt recoil from a 38 snub was a bit much. Now he is a huge strapping 6' something guy.

Where did you find P64's Mike ??

The 9x18 with the hornady XTP loading gives a 38 snub a run for it's money unless the snub is loaded with the very best 38 ammo you can find. The 38 does allow you to use heavier bullets if you want.

I have a Bulg mak and it is a really nice gun, they were EVERYWHERE and now they are nowhere. I do have some new Wolf springs for P64's but I was about a week late to order any guns. Unless the distro got another batch in ?? I got the mak thinking it would get me by until I could afford a 38 snub, but once I started studying the ballistics I decided all things considered it is superior to a 38 snub. it is pretty darn accurate and shoots a 3" or so group offhand at 25 yards with the hornady xtp ammo.

Bill

Scrounger
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Willbird, I don't know if Mike intends to sell those P64s or not, but I have 2 and I do intend to sell one. They are not C & R so they have to go through an FFL unless you live in Nevada. I don't remember whether there is a holster or not, but there is an extra magazine. $150 plus shipping.

mike in co
01-07-2009, 03:53 PM
i had considered buying scroungers, and its a good price with the sapre mag.

160 at jg sales plus 20 for a spare mag and 25 for shipping, makes one not cheap. spreading the cost over 4 guns is easier to deal with.

no intentions on any sales in the near future.

gonna get the wolf spring kits....

mik ein co

SAWebbx1
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Where to start? Single-sixes are heavier than SP-101s. SP 101 are heavy compared to S&W mods. 60 & 63 but people always seem to equate a Single-six with easy carry and the 101 with a belt-anchor. Bearcats are light; don't try carrying your single-six in a back pocket without 'spenders. The new Vaquero/50th.Anniv. 357 flattop size frame would take the cartridge without any redesign assuming (and I am) the pressure isn't a problem. Lipsey's could be selling them and Ruger would make them for me if I popped for a thousand units.

The advantage of the cartridge compared to a 30 carbine or 32-20 is the modern, strong, rimmed design. No taper. No headspace/oal issues. Nobody brings up the 38-40 when the 40 cal is discussed but they're also ballistic twins. Carbide dies, progressive presses, no brass babying needed. User friendly for the reloader and suited for revolver and levergun use. The load versatility has expanded and it serves a niche like the 32-20 did when it was introduced. People forget that Colt made more 31 bp guns than any others and tens of thousands of Wehrmacht soldiers died on the Eastern front shot by a sub-gun that chambered a round ballistically similar to the 327. I bet more have been killed by a 36 Navy than 357s, but that is just a guess. I don't get these statements about what it does that a 38/357 doesn't do. What do they do that my 41 doesn't do, which could be done by a 44 etc ad nauseum. The range of capabilities that I want, need, feel comfortable with, can handle, load for, buy for or whatever is for me to decide. I don't believe one size fits all.

All my rant aside, I do think a SP 101 with a fully adjustable sight in 4'' or slightly longer would be my ideal for my uses and the Marlin ss short rifle in same to go with. J-frame and/or K-frame preferably more than 3" without a port (not the best idea in my mind either) would be welcomed too.

Willbird
01-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Yea the cartridge should really rock in a carbine or rifle. A rimless version might be interesting, yes it would be similar to a 30 carbine, but it would not have the case taper issue :-).

I have a 310 martini action that is just begging to become a 327 magnum walking around rifle. dad chambered a piece of stargauge springfield barrel to 32 S&W long so it even has the right extractor already.

Bill

jack19512
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a Bulg mak and it is a really nice gun, they were EVERYWHERE and now they are nowhere.

I purchased two of these a couple years ago at $125.00 each and was oiling them up the other day and was thinking the very same thing. One day they were everywhere and then you never hear of them.

mike in co
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
I purchased two of these a couple years ago at $125.00 each and was oiling them up the other day and was thinking the very same thing. One day they were everywhere and then you never hear of them.

this very simple guys.
someone negotiates a deal with a broker selling a country's excess firearms.
cz50/70's, mak's( east german, russian, various) cz52, cz82's(on the market now).

surplus is inexpensive, make or buy new...not gonna happen.

cheap copies do happen, but not my choice...alloy mak's for example.

buy them when they show up or they are gone.

( sks's sold for under 100 when they hit the market, and now gunshow prices run in the 3-400 dollar range. these have chrome lined bores, the current surplus sks's are not chrome lined)

mike in co

9.3X62AL
01-07-2009, 10:17 PM
"The 32's are perfect field guns and should be marketed for that niche."

My point exactly.

Larry Gibson

Mine, too. When I look at the product lineup offered by S&W, I am mystified and confused. Who the h--- are they making half of their offerings for? No one I'm acquainted with, for certain. Ruger is not quite so spacy as S&W, but I think the world has more than enough fixed-sight single actions. Put those Blackhawks and BisHawks into some interesting calibers and include a swap-cylinder in another interesting caliber. A Bisley BH in 327 Federal with 32-20 swap roller, 7.5" barrel.........SOLD. A revolver strong enough to handle rifle-strength 32-20 loads is pretty intriguing on its own merits, and with a 327 Federal change-out........AH!

NHlever
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I see that Brian Pearce did a full write up in the new Handloader magazine on the .327 mag. He had problems with leading in the Ruger SP-101 at higher velocities with plain based bullets, and I'm wondering if it's because the pressure is higher than say a 32-20 at the same velocity?

bearcove
01-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds good, makes me think about getting a nice 38 special. All this new crap should continue to drive down the prices on the old but proven.

leftiye
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Yup! Thas why mine has an 8 3/8" barrel. Don't answer this (I already can guess), but what I don't see is how cum it's such a strain to market two models? If I feel it necessary to carry, they's 9mms plenty small enough to carry concealed (even a 12 gauge LOL, just can't hide it), so I'm not even remotely interested in a 327 for social work.

Seafarer12
01-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Mine, too. When I look at the product lineup offered by S&W, I am mystified and confused. Who the h--- are they making half of their offerings for? No one I'm acquainted with, for certain. Ruger is not quite so spacy as S&W, but I think the world has more than enough fixed-sight single actions. Put those Blackhawks and BisHawks into some interesting calibers and include a swap-cylinder in another interesting caliber. A Bisley BH in 327 Federal with 32-20 swap roller, 7.5" barrel.........SOLD. A revolver strong enough to handle rifle-strength 32-20 loads is pretty intriguing on its own merits, and with a 327 Federal change-out........AH!

I wrote Ruger 9 months ago or so and told them they should make a Blackhawk 327/32-20 convertable. They actually wrote me back and said thanks for the idea and gave me a patch and sticker. That is more than marlin did. I never even heard from them when I said they should make a lever action 327

Geraldo
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM
There's an expensive J frame in .356TSW with a comp in a nearby shop just laying there waiting for the one person in the world who thinks they need it. It may still be there when this latest J frame lands beside it.

Like everyone else, I don't think this will set the backup gun market on fire. How about a lightweight K frame, 8 or 10 rounds, 4-6" barrel and adjustable sights?

Bret4207
01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
There's an expensive J frame in .356TSW with a comp in a nearby shop just laying there waiting for the one person in the world who thinks they need it. It may still be there when this latest J frame lands beside it.

Like everyone else, I don't think this will set the backup gun market on fire. How about a lightweight K frame, 8 or 10 rounds, 4-6" barrel and adjustable sights?

A what? There's one I don't think I ever heard of!

Bret4207
01-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I wrote Ruger 9 months ago or so and told them they should make a Blackhawk 327/32-20 convertable. They actually wrote me back and said thanks for the idea and gave me a patch and sticker. That is more than marlin did. I never even heard from them when I said they should make a lever action 327

I can tell you this, I missed the "Buckeye Special" run or 32 Mag/32-20 BH's, but I'll find the money if they do another- and I don't even LIKE BH's!

mike in co
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
bret,
when 9mm was banned in ipsc competition, several players worked around the rules.
smith and wesson helpped thier team with a New round.
the 356tsw is one of those...a variation of a 9mm but"not a 9mm".

mike in co

Geraldo
01-09-2009, 12:06 PM
bret,
when 9mm was banned in ipsc competition, several players worked around the rules.
smith and wesson helpped thier team with a New round.
the 356tsw is one of those...a variation of a 9mm but"not a 9mm".

mike in co

Back in the day, the plan was to stuff as many rounds in the longest mag allowed by IPSC rules, so the shooter would have twenty-some rounds of Major rated ammo and never have to reload on shorter courses of fire, or limit reloads on longer ones. The 9mm itself wasn't banned, it just couldn't make major in IPSC. In an attempt to get 9x19mm up to major, some competitors put together a hot load and a heavy bullet that blew up more than a few guns. 9mm Major, as the hot loaded 9x19 was called, was banned. As Mike says, the .356 Team Smith and Wesson was one attempt to make major with a 9mm sized case. 9x21mm and .38 Super survived, .356TSW didn't.

IIRC you can fire 9mm and 9x21mm in the TSW revolvers, as I knew a guy who bought one when they came out. He may be the only guy who ever bought one.

Bret4207
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Aha! Kinda like the ill fated 9mm Federal, 41 AE and that electronic Remington rifle.

Boz330
01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Found a Charter Arms in my local gunshop this morning. The double action was a little gritty but for some reason I'm lusting for one of these. The guy says he can't keep the Rugers but this is the first Charter that he has gotten in. It has adjustable sights so that is a plus. Question is what is the availability of brass, and I haven't looked yet, just got to the computer. I'm real close to jumping on this but would like to shoot it not look at it. Store bought ammo is absurd price wise.

Bob

GrizzLeeBear
01-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I see that Brian Pearce did a full write up in the new Handloader magazine on the .327 mag. He had problems with leading in the Ruger SP-101 at higher velocities with plain based bullets, and I'm wondering if it's because the pressure is higher than say a 32-20 at the same velocity?

Pressure may have been a factor in the leading, but I don't think you can shoot a 32-20 even close to the same velocity as the .327 mag. in a revolver. The higher pressure of the .327 does mean that factors such as hardness and dia. of the PB boolits become more critical, just like any other high pressure round.

exile
01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Crash Corrigan,

Where are you getting your brass? I would be very interested in hearing your results, as I have the SP-101 in .327 Federal. It seems to me that everyone likes to experiment with old cartridges, old rifles, handguns as long as they are big ones, but let something like the .327 come along and everyone gets upset.

It seems that the main reason people here shoot and reload is for fun. That is why I come here rather than somewhere else. The reason I bought the .327 Federal is because I did not already have a .32 H & R magnum. People talk about the .32 H & R magnum like they are readily available and inexpensive. I have only seen two, and they were as expensive or more so than the .327 Federal. I for one am ecstatic that someone wants to keep this bore size in circulation. Bottom line for me is, I always wanted a .32 caliber small-frame double action revolver and now I have it. Whats wrong with that? It is the only gun my wife has ever expressed interest in shooting. I think it will be a great self-defense gun for her.

Ruger no longer makes the .32 H & R magnum, nor does Smith and Wesson, the only one I know of currently is Taurus, and I don't trust their quality. The only company that makes .32 H & R magnum brass is Starline (I bought 600 of them just in case). In my opinion, this cartridge was sorely needed. Don't get me started on the .30 Carbine and the .32-20. Both have their issues as far as reloading and shooting are concerned. No, I have not fired either one, but I have paid attention to those who have, and wanted a straight walled pistol cartridge instead. To paraphrase John Lennon, though he was a commie, a fake and an idol of the liberal left,

"Can't we just give the .327 Federal a chance?"

I cannot wait for Starline to make .327 Federal brass. I think we are doing the shooting world a real disservice if we let this cartridge die. Thanks for the chance to vent. To my mind, people have the same issues with the .357 Sig. I think it is a great cartridge. Of course what do the Secret Service, The Texas Rangers and the TSA (thousands standing around) know? I love my Glock (gasp) 32 in .357 Sig. If I had to defend myself and my family, it would be my first choice in a handgun. The only problem with it is if you shoot someone with it, you might as well write your Social Security number on their forehead. But again, that is just me.

The main reason I like the .327 Federal and the .357 Sig is penetration and recovery time. I have fired a few small-frame .38 Specials and other than the SP-101, did not like them at all. Nor did my wife. To my way of thinking, my .44 Mountain Gun with .44 specials and cast bullets is easier to shoot than a snubnose .38 special. On the other hand, I thought my SP-101 with the American Eagle 100 grain soft points was a lot of fun. My only concern is, how long will the brass last with full-power loads?

I have so much respect for the experience and knowledge here. I would love to see you guys apply it to this new cartridge. I could learn so much from all of you in that respect.

exile

Crash_Corrigan
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
I ordered some Federal 100 grain ammo from Midway {first factory I have bought in years} just for the brass.

I fired 50 rounds and this is a powerfull load. Quite a blast and although brisk the recoil was manageable.

Nothing like a 357 in a 2" bbl Rossi that I used to have. With that Rossi I did not want to even finish off the cylinder. THAT GUN HURT ME EVERY TIME I LET OFF A .357.

When that gun was stolen I had mixed emotions.

Now I have 50 empty cases to load down to a more reasonable level with my cast boolits as I cannot find brass anywhere in this caliber.

leftiye
01-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I got a bunch of brass from Brass World (of all places). Federal, and somewhat soft (maybe), but I haven't had any trouble with it. I had to find a tighter case holder or I pulled the rims off. Cases were fired previously in a very oversized chamber, and stuck in the sizer die. Probly a Ruger.