PDA

View Full Version : Lee FCD Mod

jimkim
06-30-2021, 03:23 PM
I had an idea the other day. I was loading some 300 Blk. I started thinking about bullet setback. I had watched a video earlier that day, and the man had problems with crimped rounds moving. Do you think a FCD could be modified to put a cannelure in a case neck? I think you could face the crimp sleeve down, and use it and a mandrel to put one just above the shoulder. IDK if I'm going to do it. Not using an expander generally gives me plenty of neck tension. The machinist/fab tech/engineering student in me makes me always wonder about stuff like this. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Txcowboy52
06-30-2021, 03:39 PM
Sounds like it would work, you might be on to something more folks would be interested in.

Der Gebirgsjager
06-30-2021, 03:47 PM
I don't know...exactly, but Lee says that the FCD will crimp even where there is no cannelure, and I have found that to be true in practice. I've never experienced set back if I used a FCD, and have even used them a couple of time to crimp when the seating die had no crimp and the bullet was loose in the case neck. Lee will custom make them for almost any cartridge, although like everything else involved with reloading there's probably a long wait to get them to do so. As you can tell, I'm an FCD fan. :D

1hole
07-01-2021, 03:00 PM
Lee's excellent Factory Crimp Dies come in two versions. One has an internal sliding crimper collet sleeve that presses the case mouth into a "factory" type crimp; usually made for bottleneck cartridges. The other die has a fixed tungsten carbide ring that squeezes the case mouth into a normal crimp; usually made for straight wall cartridges. I like both types but I absolutely love Lee's FCD rifle/collet type crimpers.

jimkim
07-01-2021, 07:37 PM
Lee's excellent Factory Crimp Dies come in two versions. One has an internal sliding crimper collet sleeve that presses the case mouth into a "factory" type crimp; usually made for bottleneck cartridges. The other die has a fixed tungsten carbide ring that squeezes the case mouth into a normal crimp; usually made for straight wall cartridges. I like both types but I absolutely love Lee's FCD rifle/collet type crimpers.My FCD pistol dies have a carbide sizing ring in them, and a floating crimp ring that can be adjusted using the plug.

I was referring to modifying a FCD rifle collet, and using a mandrel inside the case neck.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

jetinteriorguy
07-01-2021, 08:15 PM
Lee's excellent Factory Crimp Dies come in two versions. One has an internal sliding crimper collet sleeve that presses the case mouth into a "factory" type crimp; usually made for bottleneck cartridges. The other die has a fixed tungsten carbide ring that squeezes the case mouth into a normal crimp; usually made for straight wall cartridges. I like both types but I absolutely love Lee's FCD rifle/collet type crimpers.
You can also get a collet style crimp die for straight wall magnum cases. If they don’t list your caliber they will make it, that’s how I got my .41 Magnum die.