PDA

View Full Version : Coonan Arms

wolfspotter
01-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone have a Dan Coonan 357? Got word from the former head gunsmith that Coonan Arms will be back in operation soon! No more paying $200 for magazines. Google, Coonan Arms Discussion Board for more info. Mike :drinks:

Kuato
01-05-2009, 12:37 PM
That would be great! I don't own a Coonan, but I've handled them before. Lemme tell ya, thats one fine shootin gun! Damn good lookin too!

wolfspotter
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
The Desert Eagle was my first hangun but I sold it because It was too heavy to carry in the woods. I happend to find my Coonan in at a shop for about $ 450 and bought it the next day. It shoots great with cast boolits!
I found the discussion board and was able to have my barrel worked on by a former Coonan gunsmith. Another (The Old Kur) was able to locate & send me a trigger when mine broke and two magazines that he fabricated from his new design, they work great!
Looks like the new Coonan Arms web site will be up soon. Mike

hotwheelz
01-06-2009, 01:16 AM
That will be great I missed a deal earlier this year at gun show guy had 2 of them 750 each or 1250 for both never heard of them so I passed a few days later I did some searching on the net and was really mad at myself wish i had bought both I havent seen one sell for less the $1000 since then

randyrat
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Coonan used to make FAL receivers. I wonder if they are getting back into those?
Right now there is such a demand and waiting list for FAL receivers i can't see why someone dosen't jump in there. They would have to have some quality although.

richbug
01-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Coonan used to make FAL receivers. I wonder if they are getting back into those?
Right now there is such a demand and waiting list for FAL receivers i can't see why someone dosen't jump in there. They would have to have some quality although.

I just rebuilt a FAC/Coonan Fal over Christmas, nicely finished receivers.

I doubt he will venture back into FALs. IIRC FAC owned the tooling that he was was making them on back in the day. FAC goes TU, Century acquires their assets, and I would believe the tooling was included in that. Rumor is that some Type 1 Century receivers are on their way to market(Coonans were type 1).

There are no Kits available with barrels due to a new ATF import restriction. Combine that with uncertain economic times, and uncertain upcoming gun legislation. If I was a banker I certainly wouldn't loan money on such a venture.

randyrat
01-08-2009, 06:10 AM
You right that makes sense.

Kuato
01-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Banks are too busy buying out other banks to loan money anyway...Good ol bailout money..

wolfspotter
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Erik,
We have some Type 1 receivers that we expect to release in January (150+). Looking at a run of type III in the near future. Should have something on the site January 5th or so on this.

http://members.boardhost.com/dajowi/msg/1229524921.html
This is from the Coonan dicussion board. The new Coonan Arms site is still being updated.

Old Ironsights
01-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Anyone have a Dan Coonan 357? Got word from the former head gunsmith that Coonan Arms will be back in operation soon! No more paying $200 for magazines. Google, Coonan Arms Discussion Board for more info. Mike :drinks:

Oh Please! I've SOO wanted one of those...

Now I just need a job... :roll:

akraven
01-09-2009, 11:44 PM
I had a Coonan back in the day and really liked it. Exceptionally accurate and very reliable. I had differient springs for it so I could shoot 38 specials in it also. I sold it when I moved to Alaska for a 44 but regret it to this day.

wolfspotter
01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
The new Coonan site is up http://www.dancoonan.com/

richbug
01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
You right that makes sense.

Looks like I was wrong. He is showing receivers available for sale, although the pictured one shows "FAC" on the side.

Kuato
01-11-2009, 10:05 PM
GEEZ, I hope they don't ruin the lines of the 357 with a friggin accessory rail...

Poohgyrr
01-26-2009, 08:44 AM
I should have kept this, but the mag situation looked hopeless back then.

My most often mmost accurate pistol.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6907/coonan357magnum2cf.jpg

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3758/coonansparks0oa.jpg

Old Ironsights
01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
:killingpc

Coldfingers
11-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Geez OI...one of those would sure round out the set would it not?

Nuff to make an ol man drool...an auto in my most used caliber.

Old Ironsights
11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Geez OI...one of those would sure round out the set would it not?

Nuff to make an ol man drool...an auto in my most used caliber.

Yep.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/Really_really_want1.jpg

Dutchman
11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Friend of mine bought a Coonen .357 when they first came out. I fired the first 3 mag fulls of 125 gr HP factory ammo through it. Being very well made and rather tightly fitted it would hang up when the bullet hit the little "skid plate" on the underside of the slide but would chamber with a little smack on the back of the slide. Needed some break-in was all.

The muzzle flip was considerable. Its not a gun you're going to shoot rapid fire and hit much beyond 20-30 feet. Snappy recoil. But a pretty neat gun overall. I like it much better than the Desert Eagles.

Dutch

Four Fingers of Death
11-23-2009, 07:09 AM
Nice looking guns, always fancied one, most Aussies didn't know what I was talking about.

Now that the 45s are not allowed, no doubt they will find their way out here.

I'll be going to the States next year, might just buy one if they get up and running like they say they will.

They had mags for sale on their site I think.

You probably wont have to pay $200 for mags in the future, probably only $180 or so :)

Poohgyrr
11-25-2009, 02:13 AM
One of the original crew (gunsmith) has been making mags while Dan Coonan gets the pistol back into production. He is charging considerably less than $100.

If I remember right, the new production mags have passed testing and inspection and are ready for the rest of the pistol to be brought back into production. And yeah, I do hope they do get this back into production.

My pistol really was my most often most accurate pistol, standing, two handed. It would routinely empty the mag (full power magnums) into one small hole at ten yards. This isn't really that far away, but is how I like to start each range session. There aren't many pistols I shoot that well. The guys who are serious good shots would do that well at least twice as far away as I could.

Four Fingers of Death
11-25-2009, 04:48 AM
How many rounds do their mags hold?

Intel6
11-25-2009, 12:01 PM
I have had my Model B for over 10 years. I got lucky and got a few xtra mags and a .38 SPL conversion w/mag to go with it. It is a great gun but I admit to not shooting it as much as I would like because I am afraid to break it and not be able to fix because they are no longer made.

The original mags held 7 rounds but they came up with an 8 rd version later on. I think the new production mags are 8 rounders?

Neal in AZ

357shooter
06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Looks like they are back in production.

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/pistol/cPath,5

Wow, awesome looking gun. Anyone shoot a new one yet?

pmeisel
06-26-2010, 01:05 AM
How bout that. I dreamed of one but they went out of production. Now they are back in, but I am short of cash again....

Combat Diver
06-26-2010, 02:28 AM
I've owned two Coonan Model Bs in the past. Terrific guns which would feed empty .38 Spl cases. I used to shoot ISPC in middle Tennesse with mine in the early 90s. ROs hated following me into enclosed setups as I always shot full power loads.

DanWalker
06-27-2010, 06:34 PM
They need to build one chambered in 45LC. I'd sell a kidney for one of those!

Four Fingers of Death
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM

We had a very talented gunsmith here in Australia (I think he is in the States now) and he made a one off 45ACP Luger for some rich dude here. He did it by getting two lugers and cutting them in two a little off centre and welding them up, ending up with a Luger that was a tad wider than normal. He then fabricated the parts and mags from raw metal. That would have cost!!!

A Coonan in 44 Spec/44Mag might be an easier way to go.

Combat Diver
06-28-2010, 11:49 PM
They did market the Coonan in .41 Mag breifly but I don't think they ever released any. As I'm a .41alohlic and have owned two Coonans, I'll buy one of those (and another in .357).

frankenfab
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM

The Grizzly .45 win Mag is evrything I could have ever wanted in a .45. It would require tuning to get down to the original .45 Colt (800 fps) loading I'm sure, but it is manageable by my standards with normal power loads. There has been talk of the Grizzly pistol being resurected as well. I would like to see that happen. :neutral:

Intel6
06-29-2010, 09:03 PM
They did market the Coonan in .41 Mag breifly but I don't think they ever released any. As I'm a .41alohlic and have owned two Coonans, I'll buy one of those (and another in .357).

I had some work done on my mod B when they were still in business and asked about the .41 mag version.

They had the gun done but they could never get the magazines to work. The gun shot fine but it was a single shot.

Old Ironsights
06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
How bout that. I dreamed of one but they went out of production. Now they are back in, but I am short of cash again....

+ 1... :cry::violin:

McKee Boykin
06-29-2010, 11:33 PM
I'd definitelt buy a 41 if they would produce one. Last time they promised a 41 but never produced one.

jrw113
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I was looking for mags for my Model A and contacted the new Coonan Inc. They responded the new mags they are making will not work in the Model A, but will work in Bs with some mods.

BrettT/C
08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
They need to make one in 10 mm Mag. Starline makes 10 mm Mag brass. The rim diameter of the 10 mm is almost the same as the 357 Mag so it should be a easy conversion.

Brett

akraven
08-20-2010, 12:30 AM
They need to make one in 10 mm Mag. Starline makes 10 mm Mag brass. The rim diameter of the 10 mm is almost the same as the 357 Mag so it should be a easy conversion.

Brett

Now Brett that would be an awesome cartridge to have!

jrw113
11-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Ended up getting a new factory mag and it worked in my Model A. Also got a handmade mag from one of the original crew. Have been shooting my Model A with both and have had good luck in 357. Mags hold 7 rounds. Have been experimenting with 38s in it. Had to go to a 12 lb recoil spring to get it to work. Also if you shoot 38 you have to use ammo with a longer AOL or will have feeding issues. Stay away from JHPs with exposed soft lead nose in 38 in a Model A as they tend to fail to feed and jam the nose into the frame below the feed ramp. With 357 ammo the gun is a blast. Everyone on the range wants to see it and shoot it when I break it out.

Four Fingers of Death
11-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Ended up getting a new factory mag and it worked in my Model A. Also got a handmade mag from one of the original crew. Have been shooting my Model A with both and have had good luck in 357. Mags hold 7 rounds. Have been experimenting with 38s in it. Had to go to a 12 lb recoil spring to get it to work. Also if you shoot 38 you have to use ammo with a longer AOL or will have feeding issues. Stay away from JHPs with exposed soft lead nose in 38 in a Model A as they tend to fail to feed and jam the nose into the frame below the feed ramp. With 357 ammo the gun is a blast. Everyone on the range wants to see it and shoot it when I break it out.

You might want to search for Big Lube bullets. He markets a mould called the 38 Greasewagon. This is a mould designed for Black Powder and is longer than most so that 38 cases loaded with it will function in 357 lever guns as it is longer. It looks like a big spitzer that has had the point knocked off. He will refer you to some guys who sell them cast so that you can try them and see if they work.

Might help that gun feed.