PDA

View Full Version : Reloading question for 6.5 Creedmoor

Steve Steven
06-29-2021, 12:18 PM
My son has gotten interested in HiPower shooting, including a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun (Bergara) for 1,000 yard matches. I have been loading for him, using reformed and trimmed 243 cases. My first lot were Hornady cases, settled on 45 grains of RL19 (best powder I could get) as the load, it has worked well for us. As the cases disappeared and got reloaded many times, I looked at my next lot of 243 cases, Federal (FC) cases, so I sized, trimmed and deburred 60 of them. I tried loading one of them, and found that the 45 grain load would not go in the case, the case internal volume was too small.

Researching on the internet, I found that FC cases were known to be heavy, and Hornady cases light. Measuring them, I found the FC cases were on average 15 grains heavier (158 vs 173) than Hornady.

My question in, what would be a load for the FC cases that would allow seating the Sierra 140 MatchKing and still be above supersonic at 1,000 yards? (the targets are scored electronically, bullets have to be supersonic to register) The only opportunity fire test loads is at a match, so test loads will be a problem. I am leaning to finding a RL19 powder load that will allow bullet to seat, loading several to try as sighters at next match, and see if it will work. The current 45 grain RL19 load is 1350fps at 1,000 yards (from electronic scoring system).

Thoughts anyone?

Steve

Half Dog
06-29-2021, 05:25 PM
45 grains...Wow. Any idea what the velocity is closer to the muzzle?

Taterhead
06-29-2021, 05:29 PM
If it were me, I'd take a chronograph and meausre the original load (assuming that a few cases are still on hand). Then I'd reduce the start charge in the new case and do ladders. Run those ober the chronie until comparable results arrive. That should be the new charge weight.

Steve Steven
06-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Taterhead, that’s a great idea one I would like to do but I have no chronograph and no access to one. I still have 60 rounds of the Hornady load left out of the 100 rounds I started with. Next match is a 1000 yd match, I will see if the Match Director will let us try some ladder loads.

Steve

Three44s
06-29-2021, 08:30 PM
I would be cautious of a load that generated the same velocity from cases with significantly less internal volume and used the same speed powder. Without pressure testing instrumentation there is little to base a sound judgement upon.

I would suggest treating the different cases as a major component change (which it is) and start from scratch in working up a load.

It’s one thing hoping for a desired outcome (a given velocity) and it’s quite another driving for it.

Safety trumps all.

Best regards

Three44s

cwtebay
06-29-2021, 11:17 PM
Gotta say, that's a pretty insane velocity at 1000 yards. I'm typically using RL26 and not even close to that type of speed unless approaching max. My 2nd oldest shoots my Bergara BMP to 1785 with success, using a similar bullet as you are.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Dieselhorses
06-30-2021, 02:45 AM
You said FC has smaller volume. Is that across the board? I load for 6.5 CM using mixed brass, including FC. Max load for IMR4350 using Hornady 135 a-tips is 45.3 grains (compressed). Visually didn’t see a difference in levels between FC, Hornady or other head stamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Steven
06-30-2021, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the comments! I have to apologize, I gave bad information in the first post. I just went to a screen shot of a past match, the Velocity average for 20 shots was 1265fps, not what I posted. The SD was 11. So the velocity is a bit over supersonic, but not as high as I thought.

Thre444s, your comments are very valid, I should treat this as a new load combination. I am considering changing to a Berger 140 also, so I contacted the Match Director and he said I could enter the match a second time and shoot ladder loads to my hearts content (and 22 minutes time limit), knowing any shots below supersonic would not register on the target and not count towards the 22 shots match limit. I wish I had some 4350 powder, but can't find any to get, the local source for reloading components just died and family is not selling anything yet.

cwtebay, see my comment about average velocity above, you are right, the original number I quoted was high.

Dieselhorses, I tried to put 45 grains in the first FC case, and it overflowed the case, powder spilled out. The cases I have came from a shooter who doesn't reload, I think they were Federal Match rounds but can't be sure. Headstamp all the same, weight per case is within a few grains of each other. The Hornady cases took the 45 grains to the bottom of the neck, when poured back into the case after weighing and trickling the powder settled a bit below the neck.

I just talked to a good friend who reloads, he said he thought he had some 4350 he would give me, so I am hoping that works out.

Thanks for the comments,

Steve

Dieselhorses
06-30-2021, 10:54 AM
Still something not right here. 15 grain difference is a big difference, but I don't match shoot (officially) a whole lot.

farmbif
06-30-2021, 10:58 AM
1000 yard match? I'm guessing your son must be a highly experienced long range shooter to jump into shooting in 1000 yard competition without having a 1000 range to practice at.
Having had jumped onto the 6.5 creedmoor bandwagon several years ago with the acquisition of a bergara I've done quite a bit of reading from real long range shooting experts over at accurate shooter web site. first ammo I got for it was a box of Federal match ammo while waiting for deliver of 6.5 brass from Starline.
I didn't mess around with dies and saved up for Redding premium deluxe die set. And got a new jug of H4350, which is the go to powder for many of the top shooters in long range competitions. my favorite bullets for the Creedmoor are currently Speer 140 grain and Hornady 143 grain ELDX.
in using reformed brass first sort by brand and work loads up. which you would need a chronograph and a practice range to do it right.
As not being an expert these are just my personal options.