PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Question

Johnch
06-29-2021, 11:08 AM
OK I have been powder coating 90% of my handgun bullets and about 50% of my rifle bullets for a while
But most of those bullets are for plinking

But I am starting to work on a accurate 223 load with the Lee C225-55-RF at about 2400 FPS
I have a Charles Daly Mini Mauser in 223 and that bullet has produced some great groups with standard bullet lube in that rifle

I am going powder coat some bullets in a day or 2 for it
For my handguns I just let the cast bullet lay on the side as I bake them

But I was wondering if anyone has seen better groups if you bake them standing on the base ?
Rather than letting the bullets lay on the side

I don't plan on shooting huge amounts
But if taking the time to stand the bullets up before baking helps with the groups
I will take the time and do it

Thanks
John

mehavey
06-29-2021, 11:14 AM
From observation, the PC flows down to more heavily coat the lowest/bottom of the bullet.
Stood up/vertical -- no big deal: Fixed on sizing.
Sideways -- one side has thicker PC than the other. Sizing doesn't entirely fix that.

Pistol bullets, no big deal.
Light/small-diameter bullet combined w/ High speed rifles... definite effect.

cwlongshot
06-29-2021, 12:20 PM
I have t seen a difference in plinking ammo no.

But ANYTHING that leads to consistency leads accuracy.

I stand my 22 - 30 cal PC in mini ice cube trays and bake.

CW

Conditor22
06-29-2021, 02:28 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?421168-Standing-223-boolits-for-baking

I have some powders that work great standing up or laying down. IF your OCD I'd stand them up every little advantage helps.

I like my method but it is a lot harder than Slides where you just punch holes in the bottom of an icecube tray.----- both work well.

You could just sharpen a 30 cal piece of brass and use it as a punch, I bought a set from HF since I use some sizes for punching out DIY lubed wads for BP guns

Bad Ass Wallace
06-29-2021, 07:15 PM
I'm loading a 55gn RCBS gas-checked PC'd boolit in my 223 for 2,700fps, accuracy is good!

https://i.imgur.com/Gc8Va4u.jpg

charlie b
06-29-2021, 09:41 PM
I did a test of laying down vs standing with my .308 bullets. Keep in mind I body and nose size after PC so that will minimize the distortion. I did make sure that none of the bullets were touching each other on the pan.

I saw very little difference between the two. I continue to stand them up since I can fit more on the pan that way, and, the wire grid I use keeps them from tipping over.

FYI, I also wipe the PC from the bottom of the bullet before placing on the pan (mine are GC bullets).

Dieselhorses
06-30-2021, 12:03 AM
I don't really see any difference. Felt like I was playing that "operation" game from years ago trying to stand all the little haplets up on a toaster oven pan! I throw em all in a screen basket I made and bake. I don't use GC's and push somewhere around 2k fps getting around 2.5" groups at 100 yards. I tried so hard to find leading in barrel/gas tube-gave up. (24 gr's H335 under same bullet you using).

charlie b
06-30-2021, 09:11 AM
Yep, if 2.5" is what you expect then batch production works just fine. I consider 1.5" adequate and less than 1" the goal.