PDA

View Full Version : sprue plate extension

helenajoe
01-05-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi everyone,

A few years ago I picked up what I'll call a "sprue plate extension" and now I can't remember where the heck I got it from. I've attached a picture to the end of this message of the "sprue plate extension", plus a picture of it attached to a bullet mold.

The advantage of the "sprue plate extension" is that it provides a nice large knob (target) to hit, thus it is easier to hit it square --- thereby moving the sprue plate more uniformly with less potential damage to the sprue plate and mold.

If anyone knows where I can get one of these, please let me know via PM or by email. If someone knows of different models or types of "sprue plate extensions" please share your knowledge and expertise as I'm just a beginner boolit caster.

Thanks,
helenajoe (my cast boolits username)
praymond@ipeg.com

Willbird
01-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Honestly, using the bruceB method I can easily cut sprues by hand wearing a welding glove, I think this is easiest on the plate and the mold. Just my .02

Bill

SharpsShooter
01-05-2006, 10:21 AM
That looks remarkably like a good mold destructive device. If you need that much leverage to cut a single or even a double cavity, there is something else going on. I cut with a gloved hand just after the sprue stopps wiggling.

utk
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
I saw it in the Dixie Gunworks 2005 catalog, page 318! It's called "E-Z Mould handle" and sells for $11.95. #CA1304.

Why don't you simply try a short piece of steel pipe? To get a better "hand leverage" so that you don't need a mallet to whack that poor sprue plate...