PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to bullet size on a press???????????

haff202
01-05-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm new to reloading and what I see on youtube has been great learning. There is a fellow who shows how he pan lubes his bullets in a silcon bread pan. My question is can you size your bullets with your press and not purchase a lyman lube and sizer tool? What is everything that is needed to do so.

garandsrus
01-05-2009, 09:07 AM
Haff202,

Welcome to the site...

Yes, you can use a Lee sizing die to size pan cast boolits on a press. Here is the link to Lee's (http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1231160767.3454=/html/catalog/lubesize.html)site.

You can purchase the Lee sets through Midway, Grafs, and other online sources also.

John

jonk
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Not only that but the Lee dies are about the best for sizing in terms of concentricity, as they get pushed through nose first and therefore self center. Their only drawback is that you must pan lube or tumble lube first.

haff202
01-05-2009, 10:27 AM
When I get the cash I would like to get redding reloading press with all redding parts. From what I read people seem to jump product brands alot in this world of reloading. LEE seems to be the Kmart of reloading. Any thoughts?

EMC45
01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Lee makes some awesome reloading eqipment! Don't believe the hype. A lot of people badmouth Lee because of their prices implying low prices mean junk. I thought that for years. Now I have plenty of red gear on my loading bench.

flutedchamber
01-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Lee makes some items that still have the big boys scratching their heads. They even have Dillon paying them a royalty for using their powder slide idea on the Dillon presses. Don't sell Lee short.

jameslovesjammie
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM
I've got the Lee reloading press that sells for $20 WITH the load book. I bought it in college and when it broke, I was going to just buy a rockchucker. That was 8 years ago. And I haven't taken it easy on the press. I have loaded .357, .38 special, .270 WSM, 7mm, 9mm, .223, 30-06, and soon .40 on it. And not in small quantities.

The only shortcoming of this press is that it doesn't have a primer seater, which doesn't bother me because I prefer to seat them by hand anyway.

Long story short...don't discount Lee. When I started reloading, it was all Redding/Rcbs or NOTHING. Now I have a 3 year old, a wife, and a house payment. When I was forced to buy some "cheaper" Lee stuff, I was pleasantly surprised.

Lately, I've been getting alot more Red on my bench, and alot less Green. YMMV

jonk
01-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Just remember, K mart sells things affordable that do the job too. ;)

I love my Lee stuff. I see no difference in the quality of the finished product- the ammo- either in appearance or function, vs. ammo loaded on more expensive equipment.

I buy a suit for fit and finish. I buy reloading stuff if it works, and don't care if it is as polished as the competitors.

NSP64
01-05-2009, 07:06 PM
The only sizing I do if with push through dies(Lee). I size them dry (seat a GC if needed)mounted in a lee 'C' press. Then lube them(With Lee LLA that comes with the sizer). I prime my cases with Lee hand primer (I can feel the primer seating better). Load most my ammo using lee dies. Can't beat the prices or their neck sizing dies for rifles.

Sprue
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm new to reloading and what I see on youtube has been great learning. There is a fellow who shows how he pan lubes his bullets in a silcon bread pan. My question is can you size your bullets with your press and not purchase a lyman lube and sizer tool? What is everything that is needed to do so.

The most economical / quickest way to put yourself in business:

A cheapy 7/8 x14 press of any sort will suffice
correct dia Lee lube/sizer kit in your caliber
Lee Liquid Alox (LLA)
cast boolits (TL or non TL)

Note: b & c above come in the same kit

largom
01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Get the LEE sizer kit and a supply of Lee Liquid Alox comes with it. You will then be set to lube and size at the cheapest rate.
LARRY

badgeredd
01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
About the "K-mart" Lee products, I have a couple comments. I own 3 reloading presses and when funds allow I will buy a fourth. The ones I have are all single stage presses. One is a Big Max by RCBS, one is a Reloader Special 2 (cheapie) by Rcbs, and lastly is an 25 year old Lee press, the cheapest one of them all. The new press I want is also a Lee. I've done things on the Big Max that would destroy the other 2, but penny for penny, the little Lee is a darn good press that has done its fair share of reloading. Dies are mixed, mostly RCBS. Powder measures are mixed , RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and Lee.

There is a pattern here, ALL of them are good for reloading, some are possibly better quality, but all have been used enough to say they have paid for themselves.

The Lee sizers are one thing that should have come out 25 years ago but Lee finally brought them out for the need that was there. Lee is a good solid AMERICAN company and I'll continue to buy and use their products.

Edd

EMC45
01-06-2009, 05:18 AM
Lee are still made in US and RCBS Rockchuckers are cast in China. I won't stop saying that. I have a RC and a Lee Classic Cast. I believe the Classic Cast is a better press bar none.

Bret4207
01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
To put it simply- It ain't the arrow, it's the indian!" The man using the tool makes the difference. I have LOTS of Lee stuff, RCBS, Lyman, NEI, Cramer, H+G, SAECO, Redding, Hornady, etc, etc, etc. ALL work fine, the difference is mostly in material and finish. Yes, I love the looks of RCBS Cowboy dies, but Lee's are just as good or better. I love my Bonanza/Forster Co-Ax press, but my Lee Challenger does just as good a job.

Don't be afraid of Lee, just take the time to learn to use them correctly. I used to have a broken Lyman Spartan press around here that showed you CAN screw up no matter how much steel is in an object!