PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if I can train a skunk

Wolfdog91
06-27-2021, 07:27 PM
How much is skunk essence goin for now days ? Gonna see if I can tried this lil critter to spray in a bottle for me and imma be rollin the $$$$$

Thumbcocker
06-27-2021, 07:29 PM
You are a braver man than l am.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Minerat
06-27-2021, 07:32 PM
If he misses it will be worse the a little boy missing the toilet. May take a month to get the smell out. Lol. They are cute when little. In Colorado we can't legally have them as pets

06-27-2021, 07:48 PM
I like your cat.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

06-27-2021, 07:49 PM
I've never seen pictures of a skunk like that, close up, friendly, that's really cool what you're doing.

redriverhunter
06-27-2021, 08:33 PM
well you are braver than I. I have heard they can be trained to be about like a cat. Who knows if you could find a way to capture the scent, then sell it as cover scent.

popper
06-27-2021, 09:04 PM
You be rollin in something, it won't be clover. Be sure to buy lots of tomatos. IIRC for pets they remove the gland.

farmbif
06-27-2021, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure skunkfest is held each year, might be Ohio

Winger Ed.
06-27-2021, 09:17 PM
As a kid, a buddy had a really cool, 'fixed' skunk as a pet, and my Dad also had one when he was a kid.

Not all vets will de-scent them, but it can be done.
And as stated, they are more or less like a house trained cat, and eat cat food too.

If ya keep it, it'll need to be fixed. Even if they don't get upset, afraid, or mad, and spray---
The scent sort of leaks as they get older and they stink all the time.

Geezer in NH
06-27-2021, 09:24 PM
My nephew a trapper has always taken the essence with a hypodermic needle before skinning them so he won't loose any. Some years he makes more on essence sales than for the fur.

StuBach
06-27-2021, 09:29 PM
One of my store owners has owned pet skunks for years. De-scented of course. Very loving creatures from what I’ve seen.

Finster101
06-27-2021, 09:31 PM
How much is skunk essence goin for now days ? Gonna see if I can tried this lil critter to spray in a bottle for me and imma be rollin the $$$$$

You may smell like you were rollin' in sumpin' but it might not be money. [smilie=f:

cwtebay
06-27-2021, 10:14 PM
"most vets won't descent them"
That's because it's illegal in many states to capture wild critters and keep them as pets.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ohen cepel
06-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Man, that is a new one on me. Seems you have a good start with it so keep going. I think they are neat critters aside from them wanting to hit me with chemical warfare at times :-)

Texas by God
06-27-2021, 10:28 PM
I still remember that it cost $5 to de-scent a skunk kitten when I was a kid. Cuddly with soft fur and they can outplay a cat.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Tripplebeards
06-27-2021, 10:34 PM
I member the last time one came walking into my fox pro sounds when I was out coyote hunting. It sprayed the tree I was in. My eyes burn so bad they swelled shut. I’m going to feel pretty sorry for you when that thing lets loose.lol

jcren
06-27-2021, 10:36 PM
My cousin had a pet skunk when we were kids. Thing would follow him around like a dog. We would wander around the rocky hill where my grandmother lived rolling rocks for him to pounce scorpions and such. Very quick and deadly on small critters and bugs.

BJK
06-27-2021, 10:48 PM
Just in case something doesn't work as you had planned. The skunk wash is for dogs and it works much better than tomato juice.

Skunk Wash

1 quart of hydrogen peroxide,

1 cup baking soda ,

1 table spoon of dish soap in that order( "Dawn , Gets grease out of the way" )

mixed in a plastic bucket with 1 1/2 gal of warm water. Lathered up dog real well and rinsed with clear warm water. Care taken to keep solution out of the dogs eyes.

cwtebay
06-27-2021, 10:54 PM
Just in case something doesn't work as you had planned. The skunk wash is for dogs and it works much better than tomato juice.

Skunk Wash

1 cup baking soda ,

mixed in a plastic bucket with 1 1/2 gal of warm water. Lathered up dog real well and rinsed with clear warm water. Care taken to keep solution out of the dogs eyes.^^^this guy has the right idea!!!^^^

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

dswancutt
06-27-2021, 11:10 PM
I immediately thought of the skunk episode from Bill Mauldin's book A Sort of a Saga about his childhood.

Wolfdog91
06-28-2021, 03:20 AM
If he misses it will be worse the a little boy missing the toilet. May take a month to get the smell out. Lol. They are cute when little. In Colorado we can't legally have them as pets

Lol ever since is stared messing with the lure I use in trapping I've about lost the ability to smell skunk lol. I mean I can smell it just doesn't phase me much anymore lol. Alot if the lures trappers use use pure or tinctured skunk essence as a base so your exposed to it constantly lol. Not to mention you get alot of this scene

Wolfdog91
06-28-2021, 03:25 AM
My nephew a trapper has always taken the essence with a hypodermic needle before skinning them so he won't loose any. Some years he makes more on essence sales than for the fur.

Yep with fur prices the way they are I know a few guys who moved strictly over to trapping skunk for their essence. Know there's one guy who makes $25 an ounce or so for his. I've read in older books how folks used to put cloroform on a rag on a stick and knock them out use a extra small syringe and "milk them" apparently a skunk could be milked like this many times without any real major harm to it

Wolfdog91
06-28-2021, 03:30 AM
I've never seen pictures of a skunk like that, close up, friendly, that's really cool what you're doing.

Yeah she's a loving little critter, my gf is a wildlife rehapper so when I come over I end up helping out lol. Bottle fed the little girl a few times now she's in love it seems :D

Lloyd Smale
06-28-2021, 05:30 AM
You cannot train a Democrat

man thats a low thing to call a skunk.

Sasquatch-1
06-28-2021, 06:58 AM
I remember waaaay back in the 60's Skunks and Ferrets were the big fad pet. Couldn't walk around a mall without seeing at least one on somebody's shoulder.

For you young guys, a mall was an enclosed shopping center that was airconditioned year round.:kidding:

bakerjw
06-28-2021, 07:36 AM
In the past, I've trapped racoons that have been harassing my chickens. Occasionally I'd get a skunk. Pretty harmless and not unafraid of humans.
Very cute little one there.

trebor44
06-28-2021, 07:50 AM
If it stomps it's little feet, you may want to vacate the premises!

richhodg66
06-28-2021, 09:03 AM
A couple of years ago, two ladies I attend church came up on a family of them just roadkilled except for one baby who was wandering between the bodies of the others confused and not knowing what to do. Even traumatized, it didn't spray them when they picked it up, wrapped it up in a blanket and took it to a rescue.

It's been my experience that they are pretty layed back and you have to get one pretty worked up tp spray. It usually involves a dog when someone gets sprayed. When I was younger and used to run a lot with a Walk Man on after dark, I almost stepped on one while going at a full run. Nearly rolled over trying to dodge it, stopped, we both faced each other frozen just looking, rather tense stand-off, but after about 15 seconds, he went his way and I went mine none the worse for wear.

Ural Driver
06-28-2021, 09:04 AM

Next time a drummer (salesman) comes to the door, just answer with this little girl sitting on your shoulder......[smilie=1:

MostlyLeverGuns
06-28-2021, 09:37 AM
I've used the 'Skunk Wash' described by BJK on my dogs several times over the years. It does work very well and resolves the smell/stink almost immediately.

Ural Driver
06-28-2021, 10:54 AM

Skunk Wash

1 cup baking soda ,

mixed in a plastic bucket with 1 1/2 gal of warm water. Lathered up dog real well and rinsed with clear warm water. Care taken to keep solution out of the dogs eyes.

I discovered this years ago and it does indeed work in just seconds. I've used it on the dog, the house, a fence, a tree and me.....twice. First time was when one of these critters got into the yard with the dog......the second time was when I literally tripped over one in the dark....(I thought it was a neighbors cat [smilie=b: ). The only problem is that you cannot pre-make it to have ready if needed. But I do keep a pre positioned set of the components together in two or three places around my home, shop, garage and also in the truck if I'm going to the woods. Just splash it on anything that needs some de-skunkin. And don't get it it the eyes.

waksupi
06-28-2021, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, it isn't legal to keep skunks for pets here in Montana. I'd love to have another.

contender1
06-28-2021, 10:38 PM
I extract skunk essence from the ones I trap in my job. I can not relocate any mammal that's a potential rabies vector. So, I put them down. And skunks,, I do extract the essence & use it in making my own lures & sell some of it.
Milking a live one,, I'll pass.

Southern Son
06-29-2021, 07:24 AM
What's his name? Don't name him Pepe le Pew, the woke movement might get upset.

WRideout
06-29-2021, 09:21 AM
I've used the 'Skunk Wash' described by BJK on my dogs several times over the years. It does work very well and resolves the smell/stink almost immediately.

Was your dog a blond after that?
Wayne

WRideout
06-29-2021, 09:23 AM
"Wonder if I can train a skunk"

For a minute I thought you meant train him to retrieve birds.

Wayne

MostlyLeverGuns
06-30-2021, 11:37 AM
The 'Skunk Wash' does lighten the dogs coat a little, did not turn my dark chocolate lab into a yellow lab but she did get lighter, Cheapeake Bay got a little blonder too.

Burnt Fingers
06-30-2021, 11:41 AM

Skunk Wash

1 cup baking soda ,

You mean if I mix

1 tablespoon of Dawn
1 cup of baking soda
1 quart of hydrogen peroxide

that it won't work????

BJK
06-30-2021, 12:20 PM
:grin: I copied the instructions as I saw them and posted them as such here. I can't answer your question. In practice I have kits with things pre-measured and just dump it all in a wash basin. So I doubt that the order means anything. But again, you have it as it was given to me.

Jim22
06-30-2021, 12:28 PM
I was gonna mention the skunk wash recipe but now I don't have to. One thing, though - don't let it near the road. Skunks seem to like to be run over by cars.

06-30-2021, 12:38 PM
"This home protected by trained skunk."

Fireball 57
06-30-2021, 07:19 PM
Sometime, in my sorted past, at the Indianapolis Truckstops of America, a group of Indiana State Police were running a drug raid on the truckers in truckstop. A busy German Shepard was checking the noisy, diesel-idling trucks parked with his dark blue uniformed handler. The dog alerted on this customized, blood-red "large-car", Cat engine Peterbuilt. The officer opened the sleepercab and pushed his dog inside. After five seconds, the dog was howling and yelping from inside. The cab door was opened to see what's up. Just as the dog went flying out of the sleeper compartment into the officers' arms. The little stinker, inside sprayed the drug sniffing dog and got the officer as well. Consequently, the officer and dog were done for the day. The "Little Stinker" was a native of the Pennsylvania Turnpike on a sabbatical.

ruger1980
06-30-2021, 08:22 PM
I trained one in the back yard to roll over n play dead. He never stopped playing

panhed65
06-30-2021, 08:50 PM
when I was a kid, back in the late 50's my one uncle had a pet skunk. can't say he was trained, but he would not spray anyone he knew. had him in a pen in his garage. one night someone broke into the garage, well the skunk knew what to do, and did it well. nothing ended up being stolen. we all could handle him same as you would a cat. the garage aired out in time.
Barry

farmbif
06-30-2021, 08:58 PM
if you do get a skunk trained and to spray on demand, I know of person that could use a skunk spraying.

contender1
06-30-2021, 10:49 PM
"I know of person that could use a skunk spraying. "

Just buy some pure "essence" & do it yourself. A hypodermic needle, and viola, you have a sprayer!

Or, build a booby trap that sprays essence.

Texas by God
06-30-2021, 11:06 PM
Getting sprayed directly in the face was a horrible misadventure in my youth. Once is all it took for me to learn to respect El Sorillo!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
07-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Sometime, in my sorted past, at the Indianapolis Truckstops of America, a group of Indiana State Police were running a drug raid on the truckers in truckstop. A busy German Shepard was checking the noisy, diesel-idling trucks parked with his dark blue uniformed handler. The dog alerted on this customized, blood-red "large-car", Cat engine Peterbuilt. The officer opened the sleepercab and pushed his dog inside. After five seconds, the dog was howling and yelping from inside. The cab door was opened to see what's up. Just as the dog went flying out of the sleeper compartment into the officers' arms. The little stinker, inside sprayed the drug sniffing dog and got the officer as well. Consequently, the officer and dog were done for the day. The "Little Stinker" was a native of the Pennsylvania Turnpike on a sabbatical.

sordid is the word you're looking for.

gwpercle
07-03-2021, 02:10 PM
I think you can get him trained to spray into a bottle ... use a wide mouth bottle (jar) to give him an easy target ... and be sure and make a video of the spray in a bottle ... I would pay good money to see that video !
Gary

Winger Ed.
07-03-2021, 02:29 PM
I think you can get him trained to spray into a bottle ... use a wide mouth bottle (jar) to give him an easy target ...

The only problem I'd have with that is--- you couldn't do it from 100 yards away.
And eventually, even with a well trained and college educated skunk---you'd still have to get close to the jar.