PDA

View Full Version : Scrap lead behavior

jforwel
01-05-2009, 02:09 AM
I asked previously about cutting up large ingots of what I think is pure lead that were made in Chevy valve covers. I cut them using a circular saw and when I beat them on the ground to split them on the cuts they broke but also started coming apart in layers.

I want to make sure that there isn't some other kind of metal in them that would ruin the rest of my lead that I mix it with. Having never done this before I don't know if this is normal for large chunks of lead or maybe the valve covers were partially filled at different times. Has anybody had any experience with this? The temp at the time was about 35 degrees.

I can post pics if needed but it may take a couple of days.

Thanks
j

mroliver77
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
J,
I had a large ingot made in a casserol (sp?) pan. It apparently was done in stages and was stratified like yours. For unknown alloys I smelt and ladle pour some bool;its from the smelting pot to check for castabilty etc. Kepp ingots separated and marked. If your happy that that batch is ok you can use to make large batch .
J

runfiverun
01-05-2009, 06:48 AM
they were probably poured at different times.
when you melt just keep whatever you are using to a temp of 700 or under a bit, and if it don't melt you have other stuff in them.

jforwel
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks, sounds like good advice.
j

JohnH
01-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Melting WW into valve covers to make counter weights is an old dirt tracking trick. I'd bet it's WW unless the maker happened onto a pile of plumbers lead for free. Once upon a time that was somewhat normal. It could also be old lead pipe or cable or a combination of these.... good 'ol GOK metal. Just how did you come by these?

docone31
01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
When I have contaminated crap ingots, I crank up the heat, melt it all, then cool it down. At around 650-700*, I have found zinc to float like Cottage Cheese.
Not all the zinc, but a lot. I do this a couple of times.
I have had good luck with contaminated melts. They come out hard! I also water drop the castings.
The big thing is to get those chunks manageable. I mean smaller.
If you can get it into a bottom pour pot, with the lower temperature, the zinc should float. The main thing is to get it into a form that can be handled. A muffin pan is good for that. Just watch that there is no lip that the lead can flow into when poured. Makes it hard to get out of the pan.
It is going to be fun getting it out of the valve covers.
You might fire up a grill, and ladle it out.