PDA

View Full Version : It sometimes pays to clean primer pockets

higgins
06-26-2021, 01:50 PM
In light of recent threads on cleaning primer pockets, I'll post this embarassing experience. I recently shot some .243 Win. loads that were slightly difficult to chamber. I left 3 rounds unfired from that box for evaluation; the rounds had been loaded in neck-sized cases. At home I got out the caliper and checked COAL, which was over SAAMI max., but there were no rifling marks on the jacketed bullets before or after covering the bullets with a Sharpie. Neck diameter of the loaded rounds was well below max. The length of the cases was within spec.

I then checked chambering of the unfired rounds again with the firing pin mechanism removed from the bolt; they were still slightly difficult to chamber. After checking chambering a few times I noticed the primer surfaces were burnished. When I neck sized the fired cases from that box, the primer pockets were heavily fouled. I had gotten out of the habit of cleaning primer pockets at every sizing. I won't do that again. After cleaning the primer pockets and seating new primers, the bolt closed like there wasn't a primed case in the chamber. Loaded rounds with cleaned primer pockets also chambered effortlessly with neck sized cases. Problem solved.

Cleaning primer pockets is not critical in many scenarios, but if you're loading with neck sized cases, or if the primers are not seating slightly below the case head, it pays to clean every time.

lightman
06-26-2021, 01:57 PM
I always clean primer pockets. Yes, its not always needed but it heads off a lot of problems for such a small amount of work.

B R Shooter
06-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Part of my reloading routine every time.

Nueces
06-26-2021, 02:45 PM
Brilliantly clean primer pockets, along with case necks and interiors, is one benefit of the SS pin wet tumbling process. Really, tumbled cases come out looking like new.

dverna
06-26-2021, 03:07 PM
Primers should never be proud of the base of the case.

Hard to believe there is enough fouling to cause that...but maybe I am just lucky?

wmitty
06-26-2021, 05:41 PM
I quit cleaning pockets when Warren Page mentioned he had gone a year shooting benchrest without cleaning his brass’ primer pockets. The this was back in the early 70’s ( see The Accurate Rifle by Page). I do check for proud primers and reseat them if necessary. The dust from the residue will make all your babies be born necked!

gwpercle
06-26-2021, 06:09 PM
Rules I live (load) by - in reguards to primer pockets .

1.) Clean out pockets prior to seating a new primer .

2.) Seat primers untill they bottom out in the pocket ... all the way in - to the bottom .

3.) Don't listen to people who say " I never Clean ...whatever it is they never clean "
Clean beats dirty seven ways to Sunday ... and Mom said "Cleanliness is next to Godliness " ...
...so keep it clean ... my mom was a smart Lady .
Gary

Winger Ed.
06-26-2021, 06:28 PM
I've noticed that often times, firing a empty primed case leaves the spent primer sticking out a little.
I figure the primer, even on a live round, backs out a little upon firing,
due to head spacing, then the case is pushed back onto it as it fire forms.

In the process, a little crud ring forms between the primer cup edge, and the inside wall of the primer pocket.
With a match chamber, it may not be an issue. But with a regular, off the shelf rifle,
with a little more generous amount of headspace- that uncleaned crud ring
may be why your new primer didn't want to fully seat, at least not without an extra bit of 'oomph'.

On rifle brass, I always give the pocket a quick turn or two with a little pocket brush or tool.
On hand/single stage press seating of primers, I always feel each one to be sure its slightly below flush.

On pistol ammo going through the progressive-- I use the 'oomph' method to be sure they're fully seated.

fredj338
06-26-2021, 06:55 PM
If you seat to the bottom of the pocket, they will only foul so much. I rarely clean pockets, never had an issue.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-26-2021, 09:14 PM
While I have never noticed crud in the pocket keeping the primer from seating fully, I always thought that crud could hold moisture. So I tend to clean them often.

ioon44
06-27-2021, 09:14 AM
I use a Sinclair primer pocket tool to make all the pockets the same depth, sometimes I find a case with a shallow pocket.

lesharris
06-27-2021, 09:50 AM
All of my reloads have the primer pockets cleaned. A quick clean with a primer pocket cleaner or a more serious clean with the SS pin method. The extra work is worth avoiding a high primer issue on a progressive loading machine.

PhilC
06-27-2021, 10:37 AM
I use a Sinclair primer pocket tool to make all the pockets the same depth, sometimes I find a case with a shallow pocket.
I agree and have found the same.

mdi
06-27-2021, 11:18 AM
Whether I clean primer pockets or not, I check primer seating, nothing sticks up above the case head, one advantage of using a single stage or turret, each primed case is handled after priming and checked by feel minimum...

bruce381
06-27-2021, 02:29 PM
When I gauge my loaded rounds I check for high primers on pistol I put in box bullet down and hold up to light and sight down the rows doing same thing.

WRideout
06-27-2021, 03:43 PM
I clean the pockets on rifle cases when they need it. For pistol cases, I deprime, then put them through a citric acid bath. It cleans the pockets and makes the brass clean and shiny.

Wayne

centershot
06-28-2021, 02:07 PM
I quit cleaning pockets when Warren Page mentioned he had gone a year shooting benchrest without cleaning his brass’ primer pockets. The this was back in the early 70’s ( see The Accurate Rifle by Page). I do check for proud primers and reseat them if necessary. The dust from the residue will make all your babies be born necked!

I read that book as a wee lad, back in the '70's. I've never cleaned primer pockets and I'm not gonna' start now. Whatever is left in the pocket after tumbling has never caused me a problem.

Walks
06-28-2021, 03:58 PM
I clean primer pockets. After sizing it's when I do the case inspection that is necessary before priming a case. I hate wasting a primer on a case with a split body or cracked neck.
I'm just cheap. And primers have been on again off again thing for more then 25yrs.

high standard 40
06-28-2021, 04:13 PM
I am not a high volume shooter, maybe 1500 rounds of centerfire a year. At one time I was approaching 5000 a year. All of this is, and always has been, with an emphasis on accuracy. I'm not a plinker. That said, I have always cleaned primer pockets on every case, no exceptions. This used to be with a hand held primer pocket cleaner. Now I wet tumble with SS pins so I don't have to worry about primer pockets. If I encounter a batch of cases with shallow pockets, I use a primer pocket uniforming cutter to bring them to spec. As someone else stated here, primers are too scarce right now to risk it.