View Full Version : What the heck did I do wrong?

Ray Z
01-05-2009, 01:37 AM
I bought a couple of Lee 6 cavity molds a while back. It didn't take long for the cut off plate to scar the top of the mold enough that the last 2 cavities were useless. I ended up scrapping them. I've always used Lyman 4 cavity molds in the past with no problems. What did I do wrong?

Cra
Z
Ray

357maximum
01-05-2009, 01:50 AM
You have to be kind and gentle to lee molds. That being said I think maybe you should have lubed the molds?? Even someone as ham fisted as myself have managed many many boolits out of lee 6bangers...you just have to pay attention/ possibly leement them and baby them more than a steel mold.

What designs were they?

Buckshot
01-05-2009, 02:42 AM
.............Ray Z, welcome to the board. Sounds like you had some pretty bad galling going on. That 6 cav SP is pretty long and you're able to impose some decent pressure down there close to the pivot pin if lifting the SP handle slightly while opening it. The SP is anodized so is much harder then the bare aluminum under it.

It's a good idea to provide just a bit of lube to the pivot bolt area, and I like to use Bullplate lube for the job (see the BullShop banner at the bottom of the page). Once the SP has a bit of aluminum stuck to it it's going to drag it back and forth across the blocks. Doesn't take too long for it to build and soon it's a mess. Doesn't happen to just Lee or aluminum blocks either.

I've seen pleanty of iron blocks galled to beat heck around the pivot screw. The SP has dug itself a circular hole, and tightening down the pivot screw will lift the opposite end of the SP clear of the blocks. The only salvation is to resurface the top of the block. You'd think cast iron would be made of sterner stuff :-)

As 357maximum said, you have to treat Lee moulds with a modicum more care then the ferrous blocks. Once you understand the things they'll live, and produce great boolit's for a darn long time. Check out the "Leementing" sticky up top.

..............Buckshot

dubber123
01-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Unless you really did toss em', you could have a few thousandths machined off the tops to make them flat again.

shotman
01-05-2009, 05:10 AM
One other thing that wasnt said. The Lee will NOT stand high heat. If you are casting fast with a 6cav in 45 size that mold stays very hot . so the aluminum will get softer.

runfiverun
01-05-2009, 07:53 AM
and if you tightened the sprue cutter like you would on a iro mold you will gall the top of an aluminum mold.
did it on my first aluminum one,then lubed, looosened, and haven't had a problem since.

Bret4207
01-05-2009, 08:18 AM
With Lee's at the first sign of a smear you have to stop and clean it up. A simple little lead smear will lead to galling of the blocks. Lube helps.

copdills
01-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey Ray Just send them to me LOL I could use them

Freightman
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I got a 6 cav mould used at a garage sale .357 for a $1 it was beat up on the top so that it wouldn't cast a flat base withoul wings. I took it apart and put a piece of 120 grit sanding cloth on the top of my table saw and sanded till flat, put it back together and it workes great now. Keep it lubed!

Ray Z
01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ray