PDA

View Full Version : OP change to title of authored threads after weeks of comments...can it be done?

Land Owner
06-26-2021, 06:52 AM
As the author, and after a period of time, I no longer have an option for "EDIT POST" on my OP in a thread on the Forums.

Rather than start a new thread, when some time has passed (couple of months) and events have conspired to create news, an update to an older thread title (as its author) seems appropriate if new content is added. A slight modification (edit) to the title of the old thread, something like "[UPDATE]", would clue the interested Reader to another post made to the old thread. Guess that is already the case with BOLD meaning UNREAD in the Forums...

Doesn't post title manipulation exist in the Swapping and Selling Forum (say from "WTS - xxx" to "WTS - xxx [SOLD]"?

[SARCASM=ON]
I've thought of a few "work arounds"::
1.) Do nothing
2.) Don't think about it (and do nothing)
3.) Post a new thread
4.) Post a new thread and link to the old
5.) Forget about it because it isn't really that important...
[SARCASM=OFF]

Pressman
06-26-2021, 09:34 AM
The moderators can change thread titles, I am not sure if you can. On the header bar click on Administrative and see if you have an edit thread option, that will change the title.

Minerat
06-26-2021, 12:11 PM
If the thread was started more the 30 days ago you can't edit the OP if I understand the 30 day rule on post longevity right. The VS sponsors have this problem, check out Smokes powder thread to see how he works around it since they are allowed to have long running threads. #3 is probably your best bet as long as you close the old one first. By linking to the old thread it counts as one of the five you can have open.

HATCH
06-26-2021, 12:50 PM
Even prior to the no edits after 30 days change only staff members could change titles to threads.
I am not sure there is a configuration setting to allow regular members to edit thread titles.

If you need something edited just send a PM to one of the staff members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land Owner
06-27-2021, 05:39 AM
Thank you all for the insight. #4 is where I am at this point because of #5.

My OP - with update, and now new post with link to old, is in Molds & Maintenance.