PDA

View Full Version : 9mm glaser safety slugs for barn varmints?

cumminsnut76
06-25-2021, 11:26 PM
I have been thinking my about using my 9mm carbine to exterminate raccoons and opossums out in my barn. I could use the 22 but my 9mm carbine has a quad rail and light set up which works well. My current setup is a 124gn truncated cone on top of 3.5gn red dot but I’m afraid of over penetration and poor performance on these small animals. What do you guys think about using glaser safety slugs for pest control. I’m thinking rapid expansion and less penetration would be wicked on a raccoon or opossum?

ReloaderFred
06-26-2021, 01:29 AM
You still have the jacket and any shot that may stick inside the jacket to deal with. The Glaser acts like any other bullet until it hits something with enough resistance to make it come apart. Just some things to think about when shooting around things you care about.:Fire:

Hope this helps.

Fred

rondog
06-26-2021, 01:31 AM
Maybe drill a big hole in the nose of those TC bullets? Might try 5 or 6, see what they do in water jugs.

GregLaROCHE
06-26-2021, 07:38 AM
Consider getting a good setup for your .22. Nothing better than that for small varmints at close range.

jmorris
06-26-2021, 08:19 AM
I am thinking at $2 a shot and more difficult to find than a 4 leaf clover, I’d pick a .22 as well, over the Glaser slug

country gent
06-26-2021, 08:53 AM
While the glassers are effective on that size animal it stays a slug until impact, only then releasing tie shot bullet tip and shredding the jacket.Om a miss they will do more damage to the building than a light for caliber hollow point. The last glassers I bought were 26-27 dollars for six of the blue tipped 45 autos. They do make a practice version that are cheaper.

The other consideration is noise inside a building the 9mm is going to be loud. Another is muzzle flash sparks around hay straw and the dust,

I did shoot a wood chuck at Dads with a blue tip Glasser ( target of opportunity) was about 70 yds out. From my 3" carry 45. It looked like it swelled up about 5-6" and never moved. Dad opened it up and there was nothing really more than goo inside.

Inside a building The 22 with shorts or the high vel light weight hollow points works well. Another useable option is one of the newer high velocity pellet guns with heavier hunting pellets. A 22 cal side cocker at 1000 - 1100 fps will do what a 33 will and be quieter

cumminsnut76
06-26-2021, 10:18 AM
I appreciate the advice. I have never used them and know the cci shots won’t do the job at any distance.

imashooter2
06-26-2021, 12:02 PM
I think for the price of Glasers in your 9, you could buy a new .22 rifle accessorized as required.

dverna
06-26-2021, 12:11 PM
My vote would be a .22 or .25 pellet rifle. I have a .22 PCP and can shoot it without hearing protection. A raccoon can get big and I am not sure how effective a .22 pellet would be. You would get a better idea on one of the air gun forums

cumminsnut76
06-26-2021, 12:43 PM
What do you guys think about the Lyman devastator for this purpose. I have a new mold that I have not tried yet. From what I have read expansion is very explosive. Yes I am aware of if I miss i will have to deal with that. Just looking at all the options.

And yes I could buy the new rifle but I have more than I can shoot now. Just looking outside the box

dverna
06-26-2021, 03:10 PM
Why not trap them? Traps work while you sleep.

cumminsnut76
06-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Several curious barn cats make trapping hard

imashooter2
06-26-2021, 04:44 PM
Any single pellet of substantial weight has a danger of over penetration and significant damage to the barn.

GregLaROCHE
06-27-2021, 03:11 AM
What do you guys think about the Lyman devastator for this purpose. I have a new mold that I have not tried yet. From what I have read expansion is very explosive. Yes I am aware of if I miss i will have to deal with that. Just looking at all the options.

And yes I could buy the new rifle but I have more than I can shoot now. Just looking outside the box

If you already have the mold, why not try it. Let us know your results. Don’t forget to use the softest lead you have.

iomskp
07-02-2021, 11:39 PM
You could try and encourage the ferals to move to your neighbours place, just a thought it worked for me.

trapper9260
07-03-2021, 05:20 AM
Several curious barn cats make trapping hard

Set up some box traps and use some thing sweet that the cat will not go after. Coon like sweets

Combat Diver
07-03-2021, 05:33 AM
I would try using CCI shotshells. I squirrel hunt with Speer Shotcapsules out of my Contender on squirrels. Contender has the Hotshot barrel with choke that stops the destablizing spin of the shotshell. Can keep a 6" pattern at 15 yds. Load with #6 shot. Shot that miss won't cause much damage in barn.

CD

Rizzo
07-03-2021, 12:35 PM
..... Can keep a 6" pattern at 15 yds. Load with #6 shot.

I know you said 15 yards (45 feet) but have to ask....15 yards or 15 feet?
If 6" at 15 yards,...Wow!, I'm impressed!

Alferd Packer
07-03-2021, 04:17 PM
I have used a .22 LR RF hi speed with a meplat filed on the bullet nose.
Only need to remove about an 1/8 of an inch to create a wad cutter almost full width of the bullet.
You don't want to get hog wild when filing and take off more than is needed.
Just enough for a nice flat meplat.
Shoot almost any small game animal and it will anchor them.
Dad showed me that for squirrel hunting and it has done the job on Squirrel, Rabbits ,Possum and Racoons .
Raccoon can be hard to kill sometimes, but that bullet with the meplat is very effective.
An Australian immigrant said they always used .22s fixed that way to hunt game where he came from.

Combat Diver
07-04-2021, 01:41 AM
I know you said 15 yards (45 feet) but have to ask....15 yards or 15 feet?
If 6" at 15 yards,...Wow!, I'm impressed!

Yards. As we know when firing CCI shotshells out of a rifle barrel the spin causes the pattern to open up in a O/donut with a hole in the center stans shot. T/C developed the HotShot barrels in .357/.44 Mags with a longer shot cups. Long before the .410 chamberings. They developed a choke with straight rifling to go on the end of the muzzle then stops the spin. Hence you're actually able to get patterns of shot. Remove the straight rifled choke to shot standard .357 bullets through the rifled barrel.

CD

Rizzo
07-04-2021, 01:28 PM
Yards. As we know when firing CCI shotshells out of a rifle barrel the spin causes the pattern to open up in a O/donut with a hole in the center stans shot. T/C developed the HotShot barrels in .357/.44 Mags with a longer shot cups. Long before the .410 chamberings. They developed a choke without rifling to go on the end of the muzzle then stops the spin. Hence you're actually able to get patterns of shot. Remove the straight rifled choke to shot standard .357 bullets.

CD
Thank you for your reply and explanation.
I wasn't aware of that setup for a Thompson Contender.
Wow!, ....6'' group at 15 yards!
I'm still digesting that.

Alferd Packer
11-28-2021, 04:19 PM
Those cast hot glue bullets will kill cats, opossum and squirrels.
If you cast a .38 or .45 and put a lead ball or a cast .22 bullet for weight I think you can knock down a raccoon.!1
Those gluelits are pretty hard on fleshy parts, but they won't tear up the walls unless you shoot the wall straight on.
I bet it won't shoot thru an animal and the thru the roof like a solid all Lead slug will.
Just a thought.

Alferd Packer
02-13-2022, 11:08 AM
I have used a .22 LR RF hi speed with a meplat filed on the bullet nose.
Only need to remove about an 1/8 of an inch to create a wad cutter almost full width of the bullet.
You don't want to get hog wild when filing and take off more than is needed.
Just enough for a nice flat meplat.
Shoot almost any small game animal and it will anchor them.
Dad showed me that for squirrel hunting and it has done the job on Squirrel, Rabbits ,Possum and Racoons .
Raccoon can be hard to kill sometimes, but that bullet with the meplat is very effective.
An Australian immigrant said they always used .22s fixed that way to hunt game where he came from.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
One thing to remember about filing on a bullet is that the loaded round needs the bullet weight to stay heavy enough to make the powder load burn efficiently.
in other words, you can reach a point of diminishing returns by making the bullet so light that all the powder won't burn, especially in cold weather.
The bullet may not travel faster, the lighter it gets, but can actually go slower approaching a failure to burn or a misfire.
Too light a bullet can be a misfire.The .22 if is a delicately balanced load both from the bullet weight and the burning pressure needed for the powder to fire.
There are a few members on here that reload .22 rimfire experimentally using different powders and bullet weights to increase accuracy and or performance.
Just another way to do it!
Have fun!

TyGuy
02-13-2022, 11:34 AM
Set up some box traps and use some thing sweet that the cat will not go after. Coon like sweets

I once used marshmallows when I was trying to trap raccoons around the house. It worked well until one of my cats took a liking to them. Caught him two nights in a row and then decided to go about things differently.