PDA

View Full Version : Newbee question on a pot to melt wheelweights

reloaders4you
01-05-2009, 01:29 AM
I just picked up a turkey fryer along with 150 pounds of new WW. Need to melt them down into ingots but don't know what type of pot/ladel to use or where to buy it. Any suggestions would be helpful.:-D

357maximum
01-05-2009, 01:45 AM
The best smelting pots are fabricated out of steel pipe 12 to 14 inches in diameter about 2 inches shorter than in width with a welded on bottom. Next best is a heavy steel pot from an old pressure canner. Third best (*I do not trust them myself I had one fail at melt temp*) is a cast iron dutch oven.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE AN ALUMINUM POT EVER NEVER EVER REGARDLESS OF HOW STOUT IT SEEMS. IT WILL LET LOOSE AT SOME POINT AND SPILL MOLTEN LEAD ALL OVER AND MAYBE IN YOUR BOOT OR ON YOU..ALL BAD TRUST ME ON THAT ONE.

cheese1566
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I found a used 6 qt stainless steel pot at a second hand store (or was it a garage sale?). It is a heavy Revereware pot that was missing a handle and lid. It's about 12" wide and 6" deep with a heavy plate bottom.

So far, I have smelted over 300 pounds of wheel weights in it over a turkey fryer.

GLL
01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree with 357Maximum about the welded pot ! Here are a couple I made.
I also use heavy cast iron pots for smaller batches though.

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/FA460DE8C435B56/orig.jpg

mazo kid
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Jerry, those look very nice, good size too. You could probably find a ready market here if you decided to put some up for sale. Emery

targetshootr
01-05-2009, 07:42 PM
I've been using a cast iron pot from Gander Mtn but after hearing about them cracking I cut an old propane bottle in half which I'll try next.

mold maker
01-05-2009, 08:55 PM
How about old freon and helium bottles. Just be sure to fill them with water before trying to cut them. If you can't get the water in, don't cut, even with a saw.

GLL
01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Mazo kid:

I made five for my own use out of steel scrap tubing cut-offs (cheap). The biggest is 1/4" wall and VERY heavy.
I use a portable engine hoist and chain to lift and move them ( not with molten alloy).

Shipping would be outrageously expensive !

They are ugly but work very well even for 200-400 pounds of WW at a time !

Each different pot is used for a specific alloy.

Total investment was minimal. All five cost me about the same as a nice new large cast iron pot.

Jerry

Russel Nash
01-06-2009, 05:40 PM
^^^ I was wondering how you moved those. Now, I know.

I think the turkey fryer I have could NOT stand up to that kinda weight.

I will stick to my cast iron dutch oven with lid for now.