PDA

View Full Version : decent rain today!!

rockrat
06-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Usually if we get a rain, it will rain hard for 3-5 minutes, maybe, but these are few and far between. Did that, rained hard for about 2 min., then a few minutes later, rained for maybe 3 min., so figured out that was it. Loud clap of thunder close by and it started raining, and kept raining. This went for about 15 min. then tapered off to just sprinkles.

Might not sound like much, but I think that was the hardest rain we have had in about the last 3-4 years. It usually goes either North or South of us, but not today. We really needed it as we are under an extreme drought. Can't remember the last time I saw water running in my garden.

Winger Ed.
06-25-2021, 08:37 PM
It must be the result of global warming.

Bmi48219
06-25-2021, 10:09 PM
It’s been bone dry here since late last year. Don’t think it rained once a month in that time and never lasted long. Finally started pouring early June. Getting an inch or two every day now. Sometimes more. Kids are coming for a visit next week, hope we get some sunny swimming and fishing days then.

Minerat
06-25-2021, 10:53 PM
We got 0.24" this afternoon most since memorial day weekend during the little league ball tournament. In the last 10 min we have another 0.45" and it is still raining at 1.34" / hr.

Markopolo
06-25-2021, 11:03 PM
RockRat? what part of the world are you in?

samari46
06-26-2021, 12:09 AM
Come on over to south Louisiana. We've got all the water you can handle. The bayou at the foot of my property has run over the banks 3 times so far this year. Usually once every couple years. Now you have to keep an eye open for snakes as their holes are flooded. Frank

David2011
06-26-2021, 12:10 AM
It’s hard to make much of comments like these if you don’t list your general location. Some areas have been wet and others very dry. Please consider adding your state and town/city or at least a better known nearby location.

rondog
06-26-2021, 01:27 AM
Been raining steadily here in the Denver area today, quite unusual.

megasupermagnum
06-26-2021, 01:40 AM
And I thought we had it bad. It has not rained here in Aberdeen, SD in about 2 months now. The rain about 2 months ago was only about 3/4". There is a chance tonight, fingers crossed. It was so odd driving back last weekend from Alexandria, MN. It started raining Satruday night, and it rained all of Sunday at a moderate rate. I was doing farm maintenance, and I was soaked all the way. I left around 6pm, and got about 30 miles into SD when I hit a wall of dryness. When I got home, it was still a dust bowl. It's crazy how fast things change. There is no significant topography stopping the rain between Aberdeen and Alexandria, which are only about 175 miles apart. Yet Alexandria has had a fairly normal year, everything is bright green. Aberdeen is bone dry, everything is brown. It looks like October.

rondog
06-26-2021, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the eastern half of CO is fine, but the western half is a tinderbox.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-26-2021, 05:56 AM
I know how you feel! We've had drought here for near 9 years only getting less than half of the "normal" rainfall. To think I used to mow 2 ft high grass in this area with a tractor and 6' slasher. No gullies running with water, getting just enough rain to avoid buying in water for the tanks.

https://i.imgur.com/03LcNLAl.jpg

farmerjim
06-26-2021, 07:31 AM
This has been the wettest year I have ever seen here in South central Louisiana. My early planting of 200 tomato plants all died from waterlogged soil killing the roots. The last 4 years have also been wet , but nothing like this one. Everything I have planted this year has been in mud. The soil has not dried out since early last Dec.

reloader28
06-26-2021, 11:20 AM
I guessed we had 2" for the last 6 months, but I just checked and it says 1.06" for the 12 months

rockrat
06-26-2021, 11:21 AM
Rondog is right, Denver area has been getting lots of rain, but over on the western side of the state its another story. Seems like the continental divide also divides Colorado between decent rain vs little rain. East side gets moisture coming up from the gulf and the west side is just SOL

Minerat
06-26-2021, 11:49 AM
That's cause California and Utah capture it before reaching you guys. Not to rub it in but the weather station says 1.23 inches yesterday and 1.47 for the month in west metro area.

megasupermagnum
06-26-2021, 12:29 PM
It rained! I don't know how much, but it was a healthy amount. The garden is black again, and the roads aren't dusty, at least for a few hours.

Davy Sprocket
06-26-2021, 02:22 PM
We've been hurting for some rain in Iowa. It has started up again. It's been scattered pop up thunderstorms. Yesterday my brother got 1.75" and I got nothing. Then this morning I got .75" and he got nothing. We're only about 10 miles apart as the crow flies.

Sent from my SM-T867V using Tapatalk

rondog
06-26-2021, 02:48 PM
I work nights, and was on a conference bridge last night with a headset on, with two earpieces. And I could STILL hear it raining like HELL out there! Just beating the building!

Coming home this morning, I could see signs everywhere - rocks, gravel & dirt washed into the streets all over the place. Took the dog for a walk, neighborhood was FULL of flooding signs - stuff in the streets, dirt/rocks/gravel all over where it shouldn't be, debris lines up in yards - crazy.....

Cosmic_Charlie
06-26-2021, 02:56 PM
I remember droughts in Southern Minnesota. After a while it really starts to get on your nerves. My wife would put the plastic kiddie pool in the kitchen for the kids.

Gator 45/70
06-27-2021, 06:54 PM
This has been the wettest year I have ever seen here in South central Louisiana. My early planting of 200 tomato plants all died from waterlogged soil killing the roots. The last 4 years have also been wet , but nothing like this one. Everything I have planted this year has been in mud. The soil has not dried out since early last Dec.

Lol, Don't tell them how we have rain on one side of the road and the sun's out on the other side!