PDA

View Full Version : What is VPI paper or powder

helenajoe
01-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi everyone,

OK, I'm a beginner bullet caster and just obtained a 1979 NRA book called "Cast Bullets" by Col EH Harrison. Several times in his book, Col Harrison recommends to store cast bullet molds dry with VPI paper or powder --- but never says what VPI stands for.

Thus, does anyone know what VPI stands for and where I could obtain some of it?

If there's a better suggestion on how to store cast bullet molds to prevent rust, I'm all ears so please share your advice and suggestions.

Thanks,
helenajoe

utk
01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
VPI stand for "Vapor Phase Inhibitor". I think it gives off some kind of vapors that prevents rust from forming.
It is to be used in confined spaces, like inside a box or cabinet.
I bought a 50-pack of 1" squares from Midway long ago. Quite pricey, it would be very interesting to know if they can be "home-made"? Like a drop of oil on a piece of cloth? Does anybody know?
Sometimes tools or guns come wrapped in this kind of VPI-paper and I always save it and cut it into pieces to go inside mold and die boxes and the like.

Urban

kenjuudo
01-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone,

OK, I'm a beginner bullet caster and just obtained a 1979 NRA book called "Cast Bullets" by Col EH Harrison. Several times in his book, Col Harrison recommends to store cast bullet molds dry with VPI paper or powder --- but never says what VPI stands for.

Thus, does anyone know what VPI stands for and where I could obtain some of it?

If there's a better suggestion on how to store cast bullet molds to prevent rust, I'm all ears so please share your advice and suggestions.

Thanks,
helenajoe

I trust oil, but if you want some VPI paper or plastic PM me your addy and I'll mail ya some for the postage.

jim

fourarmed
01-05-2006, 01:17 PM
It's a little early to swear to the efficacy of this, but I have been using the wife's vacuum food sealer on moulds. I lay them on the furnace grate until warm, wrap them in a dry paper towel to keep the corners from puncturing the bag, then vacuum seal them. I use a felt tip to write the mould number on the bag. So far there has been no sign of rust on one treated this way. If it works in the long term as well as it has so far, I will break the point on the corners with a file and dispense with the paper towel.

sundog
01-05-2006, 01:21 PM
4armd, do you also date the bag when you do this? What's the longest you've stored on like this? sundog

utk
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
You could let the paper towel dry out beside the mold in the oven...

9.3X62AL
01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Interesting thread.

One of the few benefits to living at the edge of the desert here in the People's Republic is the dryness of the atmosphere most of the time. Rust on just about anything ferric isn't much of a problem. I've stored my molds in the cardboard, paper, or plastic boxes they came in with the original factory "humidity eaters", and to date haven't had a bit of rust.

fourarmed
01-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Sundog, I sealed some of my seldom-used SC molds back in the summer. I laid them in the sun on a hot metal surface for a few hours, then wiped the outside of the molds lightly with WD-40, and wrapped and sealed them. This is a pretty humid area. I will open some of them in the next week or so and see what has happened. I did the WD-40 wipe and sealed a mold maybe 2 months ago, and when I opened it recently, there were a few flecks of rust on the paper towel, but not a trace on the mould. It is likely that there were a few specks on the mould when I sealed it, and this may have removed it. I'm speculating, of course.

tommag
01-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Try brownell's.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/catsearch.aspx?k=vpi+paper&ps=10&si=True

StarMetal
01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
VPI (Vapour Phase Inhibitor) Paper

Specially pre-impregnated paper of various weights and types. This paper is impregnated with a vapour phase inhibitor to prevent corrosion. Goods wrapped in VPI Paper will not rust in transit or storage.

Joe

utk
01-06-2006, 04:46 AM
- Like I said in post #2...