PDA

View Full Version : "Lapua Match" brass has lots of defects...

guy_with_boolits
06-24-2021, 05:31 PM
Is this what I should expect from Lapua "match" brass at 80 cents a case?

DEEP chatter marks
Dented mouths
Uneven chamfers
Mouths that aren't square

The pictured brass is NOT the exception. All the brass in the box has at the very least a chattery and bumpy mouth.

These literally are worse than what I can produce with my Lee deluxe trimmer. What is this? If you took a box of the cheapest ammo and pulled the bullets, you would instantly have better brass than this, and cheaper, even at todays insane ammo prices.

Bought brand new from midway a couple months ago.

https://i.postimg.cc/1596FR1W/20210624-142719.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/jq6PCwmw/20210624-142727.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/zGvgddBK/20210624-142746.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/9fF69hgy/20210624-135758.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/TP7Zq4BF/20210624-135805.jpg

white eagle
06-24-2021, 06:02 PM
That must have been a Monday or Friday batch
usually there are some who you can count on for quality and Lapau is usually one
Shame, but it's nothing that you can't fix

jsizemore
06-24-2021, 06:34 PM
How does the rest of the case look? I don't know about you, but I trim and size all the new brass I get. Do the same to once fired too.

guy_with_boolits
06-24-2021, 06:53 PM
That must have been a Monday or Friday batch
usually there are some who you can count on for quality and Lapau is usually one
Shame, but it's nothing that you can't fix

what worries me is that it looks EXACTLY how handing off the "brass trimming" operation to someone who doesn't know what they are doing, armed with a drill press and a dull cutter, would look

the QC here is non existant, I literally perform superior QC on my own random range pickup brass and I dont get dents like these from my ss pin tumbling

guy_with_boolits
06-24-2021, 06:55 PM
How does the rest of the case look? I don't know about you, but I trim and size all the new brass I get. Do the same to once fired too.

i havent noticed anything on the rest of the case..but who knows

seems kind of odd to me that I need to re-trim and re-size brand new "match" brass thats been annealed....how can that make sense

starnbar
06-24-2021, 07:03 PM
Well maybe the brass comes from China now by way of Lapua it would not be the first time a name brand got watered down by the bean counters and what avenue do you have to rectify this?

slohunter
06-24-2021, 10:20 PM
A lot of new brass I get looks worse than that. I always size full length, check LOA, chamfer in and out of the neck and check for burrs in the priming hole and then load um up.

guy_with_boolits
06-24-2021, 10:28 PM
A lot of new brass I get looks worse than that. I always size full length, check LOA, chamfer in and out of the neck and check for burrs in the priming hole and then load um up.

so what am I getting then by paying a premium for this? thicker walls and more consistent internal volumes? If this isnt significantly better than my once fired lake city range pickups then whats the point

JimB..
06-25-2021, 03:04 AM
Complain to them or where you bought it, see what they say. If it was me I’d measure a few and see if they’ll be shorter than you’d like once trimmer, if yes then I’d look for a solution, if no I’d size and trim.

B R Shooter
06-25-2021, 06:00 AM
I have used lots of Lapua brass. None of what I use is loaded right out of the box. I weight sort them, resize the necks, turn necks, etc. I always have a few failures from each box. But Lapua isn't alone with this. There are more failures with other makers. Lapua's reputation is their brass will hold up to more firings a sizing than most others, and handle more pressures. All new brass needs to have an expander run in them to shape the neck. Necks can be distorted just from banging around in shipment.

snowwolfe
06-25-2021, 08:12 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. Always neck resize and trim to a uniform length before loading so I know they are started from the same measurements.

country gent
06-25-2021, 08:32 AM
Did you buy this direct from Lapua or from a distributor ( midways sinclair Graf mid south). Im wondering if this might have been a return that was resold and had been "prepped"before returned. I have bought a fair amount of lapua brass over the years and its always been good ( mostly 243 )

Ithaca Gunner
06-25-2021, 08:53 AM
That doesn't even come close to some of the stuff I've gotten from Remington. I ordered 500 .30 Carbine brass from Midway some years ago, package arrives and I open it, they were about half formed. They looked more like gas jets than cartridge brass. I called Remington, talked with the production manager, he sent a label and said, ''I want those on my desk as soon as possible!'' The next week I had replacement brass and a pair expensive of Remington shooting glasses.

bakerjw
06-25-2021, 09:46 AM
I would expect that all of the brass is too long and needs to be trimmed to length. At least that's what I've observed with some 308 match brass that I've seen.
If it is too long, size it, trim it, chamfer it and be content. That is exactly what I do with any brass that I use for making accurate loads.

guy_with_boolits
06-25-2021, 10:45 AM
I sent Lapua pics and they said to mail them some of the bad cases. In the mail they go!

waksupi
06-25-2021, 10:50 AM
I always trim new brass.

rockrat
06-25-2021, 10:51 AM
I bought some 30-30 brass one time that once I opened the box and looked, didn't have any primer pockets.

jakharath
06-25-2021, 12:03 PM
I bought some 30-30 brass one time that once I opened the box and looked, didn't have any primer pockets.

That's called "safety brass"!

dale2242
06-25-2021, 04:55 PM
I bought 300 Lapua Match 221 FB brass and it is by far the best brass i have seen in 60+ years of reloading.

guy_with_boolits
06-25-2021, 05:17 PM
I bought 300 Lapua Match 221 FB brass and it is by far the best brass i have seen in 60+ years of reloading.

did it look like mine

got any pics?

georgerkahn
06-25-2021, 05:39 PM
I purchased 500 Lapua .221 Fireball brass (for usie in a Remington XP100), and could not be happier! I loaded all using a MEC Marksman press with Redding deluxe dies and a Wilson seater to achieve the smallest (average less than 0.0015") run-out I've ever had. Yes -- perhaps a half-dozen in the two-thousandths off range... but again, the Lapua brass and press/die set-up I'm using is perhaps my best ever ammo loading.
geo

GregLaROCHE
06-25-2021, 05:42 PM
I used to buy Lapua regular brass and it was always excellent. Maybe a few dents can be due to poor packaging and shipping, but there’s no excuse for that chatter.

jsizemore
06-25-2021, 07:17 PM
I ordered a few items from Midway during my stay at home. I was about out of Montana Extreme Copper Killer. I get some guns that are really fouled and this stuff works. About time I was expecting it to get to my PO box, there was a note in my box about talking to the postmaster about receiving toxic material through the post office. In her presence I opened the package and the neck of the metal bottle was bent at 45deg and the plastic cap cracked. There were a couple smaller dents in the metal bottle side. I explained that the solvent was ammonia based and didn't pose a threat.

I called Midway customer service when I got home. The nice lady said she was sorry and would ship another. I explained that the last was shipped in a bubble envelope with no extra packing except my now ammonia tainted 410 wads. She said if it happened again, they'd send another. And the replacement was neck bent and body dented. The cap was intact this time with no leak or complaint from the PO. Glad I kept the original glass bottle.

There are bean counters in EVERY part of our hobby/business. Who would expect that EVERY product they receive is going to be perfect. It's our job to make it as consistent as possible. If your up to it.

WJP
06-25-2021, 07:29 PM
Looks like most new brass to me. I always size and trim new brass.

white eagle
06-26-2021, 09:13 AM
I just check mine for my 22-250 all of it seems to be in order with their standards, excellent
can't say what happened on your end just a unhappy employee or something or again the
Monday, Friday at the plant thing

lightman
06-26-2021, 01:32 PM
so what am I getting then by paying a premium for this? thicker walls and more consistent internal volumes? If this isnt significantly better than my once fired lake city range pickups then whats the point

The bent case mouths would not bother me but the other defects would. I'm another that resizes and trims new brass before loading it.

After you trim and prep it I expect that you will see that it is more consistent than other brass. I also expect that you will get more loading from it.