PDA

View Full Version : Stand or sit

abunaitoo
06-24-2021, 01:57 AM
I think this was asked before, but I forget.
When casting, do you sit or stand?????
I started out sitting, until a sprue landed on my leg.
I got a tall stool, until a spue fell on my foot.
Now I stand, and no more burns.
But my feet get sore.

Butler Ford
06-24-2021, 02:06 AM
Sit and make a point of wearing boots for that very past experience.

ryanmattes
06-24-2021, 02:26 AM
I stand. I get tired, but I move around too much to sit and be effective.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

FLINTNFIRE
06-24-2021, 02:48 AM
I stand , same with reloading , but I found you want to buy anti fatigue mats to cushion where you stand , and make a foot stool , mine is 6 feet long about 6-8 inches high made of hardwood . Rest a foot up there and use when you need a short step up for better perspective , when working on stuff .

But most of my casting and work benches are higher then normal , as I wanted more at mid chest level for work.

Then again I prefer to stand when working , each to their own preference .

Walks
06-24-2021, 03:48 AM
I sit to cast, reload and do just about everything connected to it.
Bad knees.

Winger Ed.
06-24-2021, 04:05 AM
I used to stand, but do both casting & reloading sitting in a high back office chair on wheels now days.

imashooter2
06-24-2021, 04:38 AM
Old and arthritic. I sit.

Tar Heel
06-24-2021, 05:15 AM
Stand. Agree with the anti-fatigue mats!

rototerrier
06-24-2021, 05:52 AM
Started off standing, transitioning to sitting... It happens. Tick tock

GregLaROCHE
06-24-2021, 06:20 AM
I sit because I am lower and it makes it easier to see what’s going on with a bottom pour pot. It’s a lot more comfortable too! I don’t think my casting sessions would not be as long if I had to stand up all the time.

Sasquatch-1
06-24-2021, 07:16 AM
I too am with the old age group. I sit for as many things as I can these days. Being grossly over weight doesn't help much either.

ioon44
06-24-2021, 07:29 AM
I stand for casting and have anti-fatigue mats, getting a lap full of hot lead does not appeal to me and for reloading I set.

William Yanda
06-24-2021, 07:41 AM
Brought to mind the Blues song, Goodnight Irene. "Sometimes I live in the country. Sometimes I live in town. Sometimes I take a good notion...... The latter when a casting session is not going well.
Sensible clothing when casting is common sense, long sleeves, pants and work shoes, minimum. leather apron is an inexpensive upgrade.

farmerjim
06-24-2021, 07:47 AM
Sit.
Never had any lead accidents in 55 years of casting.

rondog
06-24-2021, 07:48 AM
Stand? I do that when I go to the kitchen or restroom, otherwise these broken-down old bones are sitting!

Baltimoreed
06-24-2021, 08:55 AM
I always stand to cast and sit to reload. I have wheels on my tall swivel office chair [has a back but no arms to get in my way- has a foot rest too].

Froogal
06-24-2021, 09:07 AM
I sit. I place the pot on a large baking sheet to prevent dropping hot lead on my legs and feet.

country gent
06-24-2021, 09:08 AM
I sit since standing is a problem for me with the balance issues. My pot stand was built with this in mind, I also have a little different seated position than most I Need to keep the rubber tracks o my chair back from the heat so I fold up the foot rest put my feet on the ground and slide forward in the chair to where my bottom is about half on the seat. This is about a half stand knees and hips are both slightly bent.

I am going to make a heat shield for the stand to help this also right now Im thinking sheet metal with a welding blanket fastened to the out side if it.

Its a personal preference really do whats most comfortable for you

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-24-2021, 09:24 AM
I sit to cast, reload and do just about everything connected to it.
Bad knees.

I too am with the old age group. I sit for as many things as I can these days. Being grossly over weight doesn't help much either.

Yep and yep and yep...

Hossfly
06-24-2021, 09:42 AM
I stand till I get tired then I sit, till I get tired of sitting.

Three44s
06-24-2021, 10:10 AM
I still mostly stand but do not cast for long stretches.

To sit invites a serious lap burn, however an investment in a leather apron is likely in my future and then my Craftsman high chair will likely be used.

Three44s

OldBearHair
06-24-2021, 10:13 AM
I use a thick floppy floor mat covering my lap hanging out over my knees while sitting. It has a couple small pieces of lead stuck in it.

rondog
06-24-2021, 10:24 AM
Bottom line - we all do it differently! Just like reloading and just about everything else.....

Ural Driver
06-24-2021, 10:32 AM
I stand when casting........but I'm still new enough to be scared of dropping something hot onto my ....... nether region.:wink:

Shepherd2
06-24-2021, 11:46 AM
I'm in the old age group (81) and I do have a knee going bad but I still prefer to stand when I'm casting or reloading. I use anti-fatigue mats in front of my benches and they help a lot.

wddodge
06-24-2021, 12:13 PM
I sit. I have an old office chair that I can adjust the height as needed and a leather apron that hangs around my neck and drapes over my lap. That set up has worked for me for quite a few years.

Denny

C.F.Plinker
06-24-2021, 12:31 PM
I stand to cast. I am using a high bench and can see the spout on my bottom pour pot. I use a welders apron and gloves. There is nothing behind me in case I need go move fast in order to get away from a pot that is spilling. For me a casting session is less than an hour and a half.

My reloading sessions are about the same length of time but I sit down for them.

BamaNapper
06-24-2021, 12:55 PM
I sit to cast. I second the welder's apron, mine's a cheap harbor freight leather one. I don't tie it, just hang it around my neck to act as a shield. And I sit higher than a typical chair so if anything landed on the apron it would slide off and not stay in my lap.

So far the welder's apron has been a waste of $15, but that's a good thing. BTW, if you use one with pockets it's probably best to put it on backwards.

MT Gianni
06-24-2021, 01:22 PM
Set your casting table height to sit or stand so whichever you choose is comfortable. Get a rubber pad if you stand. Every session you need long sleeves, pants, boots, head covering and eye protection, I add gloves. A shop apron will take care of most spills.

rototerrier
06-24-2021, 01:24 PM
You guys do know you probably shouldn't be casting naked, right?

I've also been at casting for a smidge over 30 years and so far I've only ever had one mishap. Happened about 4 years ago. Like a fool, I was melting wheel weights with short sleeves. I dropped something into the pot from a little too high and a bb sized splatter got me on my forearm. Loud sizzle and a big scar remains. It literally melted a very impressive and deep hole into my forearm. I've always been very careful, but sometimes stupid seeps through.

fredj338
06-24-2021, 02:46 PM
I stand, but I rarely cast for more than an hour, 90m at most. If you sit, better be wearing something lead wont burn thru.

wyofool
06-24-2021, 02:47 PM
I kinda sorta do both. I made a tall stool with pad and prop my butt on that and still have both feet on the floor. I do wear leather apron, gloves and tall boots. Most of the weight is on the stool. I don't get tired even after hours loading or casting. I'll soon be 75.

GregLaROCHE
06-24-2021, 02:48 PM
As I said before, I sit while casting boolits, but I stand when melting lead for ingots. That’s where things are most likely to get “interesting”.

Shopdog
06-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Sit,well technically..... rock. Sit in a rocking chair on the back porch. My constant companion Doberman,laying beside. She loves casting,almost as much as varmint chasing.

MOA
06-24-2021, 09:21 PM
I use a tall stool. But, I always keep one foot in the floor. I kinda see it as a support for a half standing position.

tankgunner59
06-24-2021, 10:04 PM
I sit to reload in my office/gun room. I sit outside to cast with a leather apron over my lap, and I don't get in a hurry. When I cast I set aside the whole day with nothing else planned and no possible distractions.

Mk42gunner
06-24-2021, 11:03 PM
I started out casting while standing, then my body started to break down. Now I kind of sit on a high kitchen step stool. Not real comfortable with the idea of sitting in a low office type chair with 750 degree lead close by.

Two things it is not advisable to do naked: 1. Cast boolits. and 2. Fry bacon.

Robert

samari46
06-24-2021, 11:45 PM
Bad back, bad knees, heck just about every thing is worn out. reloading is done inside the house sitting. Casting done in the garage on an old coffee table and a small chair. Frank

jim147
06-25-2021, 01:31 AM
I started out casting while standing, then my body started to break down. Now I kind of sit on a high kitchen step stool. Not real comfortable with the idea of sitting in a low office type chair with 750 degree lead close by.

Robert

You fry bacon naked to prove you know how to do it right.

I stand to process lead but have a cut down barstool for casting. It is just the right height for my table.

a.squibload
06-25-2021, 01:50 AM
I like the idea of a tall stool, might try that, feet start to hurt after castin for a couple hours.
Never had lead down my boots but was squattin to weld one time, cuff rode up, got a drop of
weld spatter down my boot. Not worth tryin to get the boot off, it would cool by then anyway.
Did get a tiny drop of lead on my glasses one time, right in the middle, stuck there.
Ball cap or hat of some kind is a good idea. Don't tuck my shirt in. Safety first.

GhostHawk
06-25-2021, 05:46 AM
In my basement casting area I have a computer chair I sit at to cast. But I wear long pants, long sleeved shirt and leather shoes.

Smelting, while I might have a chair near for the waiting. Once things are hot I'd be standing, with gloves on.

Wool is good, cotton only so so, polyester is terrible, it shrinks, melts and sticks to skin.
Prior Planning Prevents Poor Results.

Cosmic_Charlie
06-25-2021, 06:20 AM
My back likes it better when I stand which I started doing recently. Getting the pot at the right height helps a bunch. So far I have not suffered any serious burns.

brass410
06-25-2021, 07:00 AM
not an option due to years of abuse to my knees, have to sit. Wear a leather apron and gloves I got at a blacksmith's closing sale (farrier ) with knees and feet under my steel bench well protected.

tdoor4570
06-25-2021, 07:53 AM
I sit both casting and loading. Found a couple of bar stools at a yard sale and cut them down as high as I needed for my work bench in the shop and my loading bench in the people cave.

uscra112
06-25-2021, 08:20 AM
Spinal stenosis. I have to sit, because I can't stand straight long enough to shave. (I don't, anymore.) But I was casting sitting long before my back went bad.

I've always worn boots, with jeans outside. Anything that spills will go straight to the floor. I also have a 5 gallon bucket of water within reach to douse any burn I might inflict. Have always had the pot screwed down so I can't inadvertently drag it off the bench.

Having taken such precautions, I've never spilled a drop of molten lead. But the day I let my guard down, it'll happen.

Sasquatch-1
06-25-2021, 08:28 AM

Robert

I think I have been burned more by bacon splatters then lead mishaps over the past 45+ years. The only serious mishap happen when I first started. While STANDING at the stove in the kitchen, melting in an old vegetable can, I introduced some lead with moisture trapped in it and got the obligatory steam explosion. Small piece caught me under the eye large glob on the fridge just behind my head. My wife made me buy my first electric melting pot after that.

Tar Heel
06-25-2021, 03:44 PM
Boy. You all are OLD.

brass410
06-25-2021, 04:56 PM
I have heard thru the galena grape vine that Wilco has been caught casting in a euro thong a couple of times, but have not been able to substantiate this!!!

whisler
06-25-2021, 07:55 PM
Reload sitting but cast standing. I have been known to use a tall stool as an assist when casting but I wear a welders jacket instead of a shirt and use a leather apron also. Can't be too careful.

OldBearHair
06-25-2021, 08:58 PM
Boy. You all are OLD. Yes, Many of us are old, but old age is a blessing that not all get to experience. I feel blessed (86)

rking22
06-25-2021, 10:34 PM
Stand to cast, sit to load due to the bench height. I prefer to stand most of the time anyway, and set up my pot for the correct work height.

Tar Heel
06-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Yes, Many of us are old, but old age is a blessing that not all get to experience. I feel blessed (86)

How true. Every day I wake up sucking air is a good day! Some would say I am old too but I sure don't believe it.

I stand by the way. Tried to sit but didn't have the reach or mobility I seemed to need to cast and reload with ease. Eventually I may need to sit and if that's what it takes to keep at it, them sit I will.

oldhenry
06-26-2021, 11:20 AM
I'm 81. I started casting & loading in 1960. Back then my position (standing or sitting) wasn't an issue. Now my feet & knees are in good condition, but my neck isn't (too many trips over the handlebars).

I stand now: loading & casting.

Harter66
06-26-2021, 01:20 PM
I sat to reload for a while , it was nice while doing a couple 1,000 size and flair but I found that I was more easily distracted that way ........ Just me I guess . As of now I stand for both , after a couple of hours of either I walk around a little and can do another set .

richhodg66
06-26-2021, 01:28 PM
It's a lot easier on my back for long sessions like that if I stand and can move around, both casting and reloading.

Baltimoreed
06-26-2021, 09:42 PM
New knee and shoulder but also am developing a neck issue. 12 sessions of physical therapy helped a lot but can’t do that 3x a week forever. Tried my first session with a massage therapist last week, was relaxing but not as helpful as I had hoped. I’ll give her another shot. Went to my cas club’s match today. One miss and still came in in the middle of our small bunch. Nice day. Getting old ain’t for wussies.

robg
06-27-2021, 11:32 AM
i sit but wear a leather apron just in case ,dont want a lap of hot lead.

Cherokee
06-27-2021, 12:47 PM
Old and arthritic but I still stand.

David2011
06-27-2021, 03:09 PM
Like many, I sit while casting. Leather boots, long cotton pants over the boots, long sleeve cotton shirt, glove at least on the hand I use for opening sprue plates, safety glasses, baseball cap, HF welder’s apron. The apron has caught a few boolits and sprues so it’s worth wearing. It’s not that I’m a safety freak; just had a friend have a bad tinsel fairy visit and enough brief contacts with hot metal to not want any more.

robertbank
06-28-2021, 12:40 AM
I started casting sitting and have not got off my bum since. I stand for reloading.

Take Care

Bob

kevin c
06-28-2021, 04:09 AM
I stand both for casting and reloading.

While I've never had a nasty spill or full blown tinsel fairy visit, there have been enough concerning incidents that I want to keep the option of moving away from the pot quickly.

Maybe I just never have gotten the height of my reloading set up right, but I find the best leverage standing.

My feet and back seem to hold up for the couple or three hours I can go before my attention wanders or I get tuckered out, but I guess the door mat in front of the pot on the outdoor deck where I cast and the interlocking closed foam cushioned tiles over the concrete basement floor where I reload work are helping there.

LAH
06-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Stand.

dondiego
06-29-2021, 04:35 PM
I have heard thru the galena grape vine that Wilco has been caught casting in a euro thong a couple of times, but have not been able to substantiate this!!!

My wife said that she saw him doing it that way and now wants to know his phone number! WTH!

bubbau
07-03-2021, 11:36 PM
I prefer to sit.

guy_with_boolits
07-03-2021, 11:43 PM
what sort of tinsel fairy disasters are you guys having and how is that happening?

Teemu
07-04-2021, 01:54 AM
Sit. If I had possibility to cast standing I would.

jlm223
07-04-2021, 07:59 AM
I have been standing for reloading and casting for years.

rintinglen
07-04-2021, 12:07 PM
Old men sit--I'm old.

Wag
07-04-2021, 01:09 PM
Reading some of your posts, I realize I'm still lucky enough to have a choice. I stand to cast because it's easier to escape a problem. I sit to load, just because I can sit longer than I can stand and my loading bench is about thigh high and I can't bend over it very long.

Knock on wood, never had a real issue but keeping my fingers crossed.

--Wag--

Victor N TN
07-05-2021, 10:54 AM
Old and arthritic. I sit with a metal 5 gallon can between my feet to catch the sprue. Knees and hips don't allow me to be vertical for very long.

uscra112
07-05-2021, 11:00 AM
what sort of tinsel fairy disasters are you guys having and how is that happening?

Never had one visit. I load the pot cold, and never add metal to a melt.

uscra112
07-05-2021, 11:10 AM
Should mention that my casting chair is on casters. Never have had to, I can push away from the hot zone pretty quickly. Pot is firmly mounted on a concrete plinth, at about knee height. I lean forward to work. My knees/legs/feet are never under the pot.

lightman
07-05-2021, 11:32 AM
I sit while casting and reloading. I built a shallow box that my pot sits in that will hold the entire contents if the bottom pour spout should stick and I wear the approfiate clothing.

I use a stool when casting (about $12 from Walmart) so I do have the ability to move quickly if the need arises.

Lately I have a buddy help when I smelt scrap and I manage the landing zone while he works the ladle and I sit on my stool while doing this also.

BIGOX
07-05-2021, 11:34 AM
I have 3 disks in my back that have begun to fuse together. So unfortunately I have to cycle between sitting, standing, and stretching. The pain sucks but I find casting and reloading to be very therapeutic for my mind. My cushioned stoll has casters and a short back rest but I'm thinking of upgrading it and those mats for standing on are a must for me. I have tall work benches to help ad my situation. If I bend over at a 90 degree angle even for 3 seconds I basically have to sit before I can straight out my back but I'm almost used to it now.

dale2242
07-06-2021, 09:47 AM
I will be 80 in a few months.
I sit while casting and reloading.
Standing for any length of time is out of the question.

pworley1
07-07-2021, 07:56 AM
I stand to cast and sit to lube and load.

Rapier
07-09-2021, 05:01 PM
I usually set up to cast a bunch, water dropped, flux and ingots of prepared alloy, four iron double cavity moulds at one time. I always start sitting but, it does not take very long before I am standing. I put a thick layer of peanuts on top of the water to stop any splashing. A single water drop and a pot of molten lead do very bad things together.

barnabus
07-10-2021, 07:40 PM
both