PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a case trimmer they really like?

dogfood
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm going to buy a new case trimmer (Merry late Christmas to me!). I have an old style (stamped "Pacific") trimmer from Hornady, and it's not consistent.

I've sort of narrowed it down to those made by Wilson, Forster and Redding ... but not for any scientific reasons, so I'm wide open to just about anything (except for Hornady). I'll also skip the Lee system, which may work fine, but doesn't give you the option to adjust case lengths (at least not easily).

Does anyone have strong opinions - either way - about any of the trimmers on the market?

Thanks,
dogfood

runfiverun
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
gracies trim from the shoulder datum line.
but cost about 250 to set up.
the dillon ones are fine if you wanna minimum size your cases too.
the lyman ones have a dead stop that is pretty consistent,and you don't have to buy a bunch of shell holder things.

mikenbarb
01-04-2009, 09:03 PM
RCBS trim pro and the cheapo Lee trim shafts. They work great! But I still love my Hornady and use it every day.

Heavy lead
01-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I have the Lyman, seems to work fine. Only had one problem with it once, but after an hour of frustration, I realized it was me being an idiot, and it's been working fine ever since from anything from 204 Ruger to the 416 Rigby.

jhrosier
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I have been using the Forster for 40+ years (the same one.)
I tried a couple others and found the Forster the easiest and most accurate.
I had to touch up the cutter with a stone one time but it seems to be doing just fine since.
If you know how to set it up, it takes about a minute and every case from the first to the last will be exactly the right length.
I put a tiny drop of oil on the cutter shaft each time I use it, and wipe the cutter edge with an oiled patch every once in a great while.
If you buy the Forster, buy all four case collets at the same time and that will cover you for life.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything and wouldn't buy any other trimmer if this one was lost.

Jack

Shooter6br
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Have a Foster standard model from my Dad about 40 yrs old. Foster is very flexible and well made. The folks at Foster reply to all my questions Great cosumer service

shooter93
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Wilson for the most accurate, Forster is next I'd say and a nice unit, The new Redding with mocrometer looks good to me so I think I'll get one. I have a Wilson, 4 Forsters and a Lyman power trimmer which I wouldn't buy again.

C A Plater
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Another vote for the Forester. I've had a one for about 20 years now and am quite satisfied. Setup and adjustment are simple and precise.

Pepe Ray
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Forster.
Look at the catalog and list of assy.s FIRST.
Decide if your actually going to use the #4 collett (case holder), if so, order the opening of the unit, a freebie, while ordering the rest, so you don't have to wait for shipping b&f.
All of the brands are OK. They each have strong points as well as a unique "learning curve". I chose the Forster after much study. Not the least of the criteria was COST.
The Forster will Hollow Point boolets, either outside or inside turn/thin necks as well as more mundane jobs I'd never bother with.
About the only thing the Forster WONT do is spin the case. Big deal.
My $0.02.
Pepe Ray

454PB
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Wilson is my vote for accuracy, Hornady for speed.

Down South
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Another vote for Forster. I haven't tried any of the other brands but I've used my Forster for about 25 years now. It's easy to set up and does a good job.

1hole
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
The American Rifleman reviewed the Lyman Universal trimmer and rated it high back in the early 70s, IIRC, and I bought one. Have tried others at various firends homes but have never had a thought of replacing mine, even if the others were free.

That said, I suspect the Wilson is the "best" but I prefer mine with the series of accessories that Lyman sells.

housedad
01-04-2009, 11:04 PM
have the Lyman motorized. Never had a problem.. Have used the RCBS, and still like the Lyman.

Have a Wilson with all the Sinclair options and base but that is just for 50 BMG

Hardcast416taylor
01-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I got my Forster - Apeltt so many years ago - it was delivered by Barney Rubble! [smilie=1: :roll: Robert

GP100man
01-05-2009, 12:10 AM
i also have a hornady i don`t use .
find myself using a rcbs trim pro , it works better now i`ve squared it up with the cutter.
i`ve taken the handle off & inserted a screw in the threads & turn it with a codless drill.
once set i can trimm a batch qwik!!

GP100man:cbpour:

Slingshot
01-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Another vote for forester. Still using my fathers that he purchased back in the late 50's or early 60's. Works good just have to sharpen the cutters once in a while. Still works good even today.

Jeff / Slingshot :Fire:

flutedchamber
01-05-2009, 02:19 AM
I have two Forsters and one Lyman power trimmer. Both Forsters will hold the OAL dimension very well (one is just for 50 BMG). My Lyman power trimmer on the other hand does not hold the length any better than plus or .002 to .003 If I had to buy a power trimmer again I would invest in the Gracy.

NoDakJak
01-05-2009, 03:35 AM
I have used the Forster for 45 years with great satisfaction. I also have several Wilson trimmers and just can't believe that anything so simple could work so great. Neil

stargzer
01-05-2009, 05:29 AM
I have the Lyman, seems to work fine. Only had one problem with it once, but after an hour of frustration, I realized it was me being an idiot, and it's been working fine ever since from anything from 204 Ruger to the 416 Rigby.

Heavy lead, what was your frustration? I just got a Lyman Universal and I am getting very frustrated with it. It seemed to be working fine...trimming .223 casing, until yesterday. I can't seem to get the case holder to lock tight enough.....I keep trying and get it a little tight and start to trim and ....... case spins and comes loose. Any suggestions?
Anyone else have this problem? I thinking about sending it back and getting something else. Or calling LYMAN.

stargzer
01-05-2009, 05:32 AM
I have two Forsters and one Lyman power trimmer. Both Forsters will hold the OAL dimension very well (one is just for 50 BMG). My Lyman power trimmer on the other hand does not hold the length any better than plus or .002 to .003 If I had to buy a power trimmer again I would invest in the Gracy.

I am getting the same thing with my new Lyman....it doesn't seem to be very consistent on the trim length....ARGH!!

dale2242
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
I have a Wilson and a Forester. Wilson is more accurate. Forester is faster---dale

DanOH
01-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I have been using a Possum Hollow Kwick Case trimmer for 223. It indexes off the datum of the case shoulder and is adjustable. Can be chucked in a drill or twisted by hand. Even easier that the Lee and cheap. Each one is caliber specific though so if you have a bunch of different size cases cost would add up. But again, easy...watching the game twisting cases by hand easy.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=775644&t=11082005#enalarge

flutedchamber
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Stargazer, I really think the problem with the length change can be traced to the toolhead endplay. I checked the setscrews on the adjusting dial and they were tight. The .002 to .003 change in length would be about right for the endplay needed on an oillite bushing like they use on this trimmer. The bushings grow quite a bit when they get warm.

The machine should have a better quality bearing in the headstock. A radial ball bushing would work fine. It's a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't work well.

870TC
01-05-2009, 12:17 PM
No complaints with the Forster.

Shiloh
01-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Wilson and Forster.

The Wilson is consistent from case to case. I could never get the Forster to repeat accuracy in measurements like the Wilson. Advantage in accuracy is Wilson. The disadvantage is that you need a case holder for each caliber, although some take multiple calibers. This at $8.00 a pop per case holder. Forster is faster, but if you have to measure every case and check it, how much faster is it really??

Shiloh

Maven
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
I have Lee, Forster and CH-4D trimmers. The last is a clone of the Wilson, but much more reasonably priced if you can find one. The Lees are fast, reliable and foolproof. The others are not as fast and almost as reliable, but you have to make sure the adjustments for a given case length remain tight else accuracy erodes. Btw, I also use the Forsters to neck ream (internal), minor neck turning, trimming .357mag. brass to 1.25"* (the Lee .357mag. pilot won't allow that) as per Brian Pearce's recommendation in order to crimp Ly. #358429 in the crimp groove.

*The CH & Wilson trimmers also allow this if you have the correct "shell holder."

Shade
01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
I just run the Lee Zip Trim for the vast majority of my cases. Min. case length, but fast and consistant, plus you can chamfer the edge in one set up.

I have Lee, Forster and CH-4D trimmers. The last is a clone of the Wilson, but much more reasonably priced if you can find one. The Lees are fast, reliable and foolproof. The others are not as fast and almost as reliable, but you have to make sure the adjustments for a given case length remain tight else accuracy erodes. Btw, I also use the Forsters to neck ream (internal), minor neck turning, trimming .357mag. brass to 1.25"* (the Lee .357mag. pilot won't allow that) as per Brian Pearce's recommendation in order to crimp Ly. #358429 in the crimp groove.

*The CH & Wilson trimmers also allow this if you have the correct "shell holder."

If I want to custom trim cases I just chuck up the shell holder in my lathe and trim to desired length.... smile, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.... I can hold +/- 0.0001 that way.... :twisted:

jlchucker
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I use the old RCBS crank model that I first started with. I tried the Lee cutter and lock stud method and didn't like it. My brother has a Lyman Accutrim that seems to work pretty well. I don't know about the others. I mounted mine against a 2 by 4, up on its side--using the philosophy behind the slant-bed configuration of modern CNC turret lathes. The chips drop out of your way, into the trash, as you cut.

dogfood
01-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Wow ... I never expected this many replies (I didn't figure the topic would be viewed as remotely interesting by most reloaders). Obviously, I was wrong.

I guess I should have stated upfront that I don't trim a huge volume of cases, but I do trim for many different cartridges. As such, I really want to stick with a manual trimmer at this point. I'm leaning towards the Forster, just because I can buy the kit and be set up with all the collets and most of the pilots I'll need. But the Wilson is right up there, too ... so I'll kick this around some more in my feeble brain.

I figure I should be satisfied with either one.

Thanks for everyone's input,
dogfood

flutedchamber
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow ... I never expected this many replies (I didn't figure the topic would be viewed as remotely interesting by most reloaders). Obviously, I was wrong.

I guess I should have stated upfront that I don't trim a huge volume of cases, but I do trim for many different cartridges. As such, I really want to stick with a manual trimmer at this point. I'm leaning towards the Forster, just because I can buy the kit and be set up with all the collets and most of the pilots I'll need. But the Wilson is right up there, too ... so I'll kick this around some more in my feeble brain.

I figure I should be satisfied with either one.

Thanks for everyone's input,
dogfood

The Forster is great both for accuracy and the fact that you can outside neck turn and hollow point/clean primer pockets. If you are going to lean towards a manual unit, the Forster, at least in my opinion, is very good.

dromia
01-06-2009, 04:38 AM
I have Pacific, Lyman - motorised, Forster, Lee and Bonanza trimmers. The most consistent for length are the Forster, Bonanza.

My take on consistency is how the case is held in the trimmer, all the trimmers trim to the same length on the trimmer as the cutting length is fixed on them all.

The difference in length after trimming is related to the variable rim thickness of the case. The Lyman and the Pacific hold the case by pressing the forward facing part of the rim against a shell holder or adjustable shellholder type as in the Lyman. Therefore the constant cutting length is from the front part of the rim to the case mouth. The actual measured overall length is from the back of the rim to the case mouth, therefore any variation in rim thickness is not taken account of when you set up these cutters and this variation is refelected when you measure the final length.

The Forster uses a collet that grips the case rim round its circumference therefore when setting these types up the cutting length is set from the actual base of the case, which you measure case length from, not the front the front of the rim where you don't measure case length from.

The little Bonanza just has small and large primer pins that the case sits on and provided the pockets are swaged consistently then it works very well indeed.

So if I want great consistency then its the Forster or Bonanza, for bulk work and getting military brass down to almost minimum case length I use the Lyman and finish on the Bonanza or Forster. The Pacific is set up to trim .577" Snider brass wher the odd though difference isn't so much of an issue.

So when looking for a trimmer I would recommend those that set their cutting length from the base of the case not the fron of the rim.

Hope this makes sense.

Russ in WY
01-07-2009, 12:49 AM
For large volume works great. a bit Pricey I will admit. For many calibers & small qty's is not practical. Hard to beat the Wilson for accuracy. I had a Gracie for awhile & sold it off . My 2¢. Russ.

JW6108
01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
I have a Forster and like it a lot.

I have trimmed one case of everything I load to the trim-to length and keep the case with the dies. All you have to do is put in the right collet and pilot, push the cutter to touch the trim-to case, set the lock ring and you are in business. I almost always just turn the handle by hand, but they come with an adaptor that would enable you to chuck it into a drill, if you so choose. Like other makes, you can get inside and outside neck turning cutters, hollow pointers, etc.

One thing I did find that was a slight problem: I load .32 ACP; the case is so short that by the time the cutter reaches it you don't have room for the lock/adjustment ring. I marked a ring on the cutter shaft with a permanent marker and used that as a reference point to trim the last batch. Not as precise, but sufficient for this purpose. Between the low pressure of the .32 and it headspacing on the rim, I don't look for them to grow much, if at all. I'm sort of anal about uniform case lengths (can you tell?).

As dromia says, the Forster collet secures the case around the circumference of the rim. This works well unless you have a case with a sizeable burr that 's been thrown up by an ejector, extractor or whatever. I have also noticed that Sellier & Bellot brass in several calibers is a little on the large size both in rim thickness and diameter. I have seldom had S&B brass make it past the resizing step: if it doesn't go in the shellholder there, it goes in the scrap bucket; not going to waste time with it, there is WAY too much brass around that is trouble-free to handle.

You can't go wrong with the Forster. Good luck.

mike in co
01-07-2009, 01:38 AM
i have a couple of forester's, a lyman, a couple of wilsons, and a bunch of lee cutter/stud.

for benchrest i use the wilsons and as of now am using the lee individual kits. a lot of my loading is in small lots of 20-50 for mil rifle matches, and i use the lees for club br in various hunting calibers.i like the lyman and foresters least of all.

mike in co

DLCTEX
01-07-2009, 07:14 AM
I have Lyman, Redding, and Forster trimmers that sit idle as I now use Lee trimmers and my cordless drill to do all my trimming except 257 Whby. Lee doesn't make a pilot for this fine caliber, but I will get a 300 Wby. I have turned down soon. Fast and easy trimming, chamfering, and polishing with a plastic pot scrubber if needed. DALE

Willbird
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Wilson for the most accurate, Forster is next I'd say and a nice unit, The new Redding with mocrometer looks good to me so I think I'll get one. I have a Wilson, 4 Forsters and a Lyman power trimmer which I wouldn't buy again.

I agree on the Wilson, they will repeat to the .0001, or as close to that as you can measure anyway, things that do not repeat royally honk me off, and for that reason I love the wilson.

Bill

montana_charlie
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I also had the Pacific...and used it happily for 35 years.

When I started with 45/90 cases, the width of the mouth magnified how far off 'square' the cut on the mouth was.
I switched to the Wilson, and the problem went away.
CM

Naphtali
01-07-2009, 01:30 PM
My hunting-shooting partner is a former commercial ammunition maker. He shoots tens of thousands of rounds per year. He owns Wilson trimmers with Sinclair micrometer adjustment for bottleneck cases and rifle length straight cases. He prefers Redding's 2400, again with micrometer adjustment, for handgun cases.

I have a 2400.

The reason for the additional expense of the micrometer is speed. These trimmers without micrometer are just as accurate/precise. They are merely slower to set up for more than one cartridge.

Hope this helps.

atr
01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
My Hornady works just great, hand cranked and all. I had a Forster once and hated it. Switched to the Hornady. I tend to go slow when I reload, so the hand crank method doesn't really bother me.

badgeredd
01-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I really liked my Lyman until my daughter and her family moved to VA. My helper went with her so now I have to crank it!!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2009, 09:03 AM
ive got the big rcbs electic one. Its expensive to buy when you factor in all the shell plates and pilots you need but it sure does work great.

cuzinbruce
01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Simplest is best for me. I like the file trim dies. Nothing to adjust or fiddle with.
When I started, I bought a new Redding. Mickey Mouse engineering, hard to adjust. Then I bought used Wilson, CH and Forresters. Wilson and CH are the same thing, work OK but a bit slow and you have to have the right shellholder, same as having the right file trim die. Forrester is OK too but the file trim dies are simplest and work fine.

bobk
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
If the rounds are not crimped, then accuracy doesn't matter. As long as they aren't so long as to start crimping into the boolit during chambering, you're OK. I have shot groups with cases, and then decided to trim them before the next trial, and I never found it to affect group size or POI. Yeah, I have my fetishes, like cleaning primer pockets every time, but that's BS. Same with uniforming flash holes. Neither me nor my guns are accurate enough to demonstrate a difference. OK maybe it's mostly me.:-D

Bob K

stargzer
01-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Well, it seems the Wilson or the Forster trimmers have the best reputation on accuracy and realiablity. I have used a Lyman and after a couple hundred 223 cases trimmed.....IT FAILED! Sent it back to Grafs and Willy took care of me quickly and courteously. So, now I am thinking about getting a Forster or Wilson trimmer, but, WHERE do you get the Sinclair trimmer base, that I keep reading about for the Wilson? I think I would like to go with the Wilson trimmer, first and then the Forster trimmer.

Maven
01-11-2009, 05:05 PM
So, now I am thinking about getting a Forster or Wilson trimmer, but, WHERE do you get the Sinclair trimmer base, that I keep reading about for the Wilson?

Try Sinclair's website: www.sinclairintl.com/reloading.html

PatMarlin
01-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I use and love LEE case trim tools and a Makita battery drill. Fast and inexpensive.

HangFireW8
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I use and love LEE case trim tools and a Makita battery drill. Fast and inexpensive.

Same here. I use a drill driver, for real production I could move up to the drill press. I resisted the Lee for a while because I already had the RCBS hand crank setup, but the Lee system is cheaper, faster and better.

-HF

jnovotny
01-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a Lyman and keep a master case for every caliber I load for, so getting it set back up from one cal to another is no problem.

Horsemen
01-11-2009, 09:12 PM
My trimmer is the Sinclair version of the Willson. Its AAA.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RECTACWI&item=05-475&type=store

stargzer
01-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Try Sinclair's website: www.sinclairintl.com/reloading.html

Thanks, Maven! A nice website :drinks:

Bret4207
01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
I like my Forster. Lots of used parts around for cheap, lots of accessories, never had a problem of any kind with mine that wasn't operator error.

unclebill
01-12-2009, 09:11 AM
i have a real nice older tabletop RCBS.
but i use the $5 handheld LEE .
it's faster ,easier and does just as good a job.

rbstern
01-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Here's my quick and dirty trimmer, made from a busted electric pencil sharpner.

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/xacto_trim1.JPG

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/xacto_trim2.JPG

Alright...no laughing. :)

The backstory: The switch on the pencil sharpner went out a couple days after it came home from Office Depot. Called Xacto and they sent a replacement right away (good customer service). So I had this busted one left over. Took it apart, realized it would be useful for some type of low speed, low power operation. Fitted the Lee cutter in place of the pencil tip cutter heads. Removed the busted momentary switch that was inside the sharpener and replaced it with an external on/off push switch.

This is not used for any precision case prep. I use it for 357 and 7.62x39 cases that are near or over max length. I just give them a quick push against the cutter head to take them back a hundredth of an inch or so. It's cheesy, but it works. It sure beats loading each case into a chuck.

unclebill
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
i like it!

shotman
01-13-2009, 12:31 AM
I like the Lyman pro power trimmer. $30 on feebay. They had wrong pic and in tex said it was the pro.Didnt have all the pilots, I got a bad deal?

clodhopper
01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
I have used Forester since the early 80s before that it was the lee system.
When RCBS came out with the three way cutter I bought the trimpro. Powered by DeWalt corded drill it is fast accurate and dependable.
Still use lees for small jobs and the forester...well you just gotta love the HP tool.
Had a wilson way back in the 70s but the shell holder expense.
Bought a powered lyman job with some other stuff one word describes it, GUTLESS
They all have their best side.

Clark
01-13-2009, 02:14 AM
They could make this trimmer equipment more compatible.
The hand lathes:
Herters shell holder 7/8-20 stepped collet .490" shaft, .187" pilot, integral cutter
Forster shell holder 7/8-20 stepped collet .490" shaft, .187" pilot, integral cutter
RCBS U shaped clip with hooks and spring paddle shell holder, .495" shaft, .152" pilot, 3/8-24 threaded cutter, 3/8-24 inside outside chamfer and trim cutter head, motor drive with 5/32" ball Allen wrench driving a 10-32 cap screw replacing handle, VLD inside chamfer 8-32
Wilson cartridge gauge type shell holder, .500" shaft, no pilot, integral cutter
Lyman inside outside chamfer head 7/16-20 with O ring
Lee Zip trim recoil start shell holder with 1/2-32 thread, 10-24 spit screw pilot and through the neck and flash hole stand off, ball handle cutter, motorized shell holder 1/2-32 thread to .25" hex adapter and .495" shaft cutter handle

And then there are the quality problems:
Lee shell holder would never have fit on the Zip trim without the drill adapter to chase the shell holder's poorly finished threads.
The Lyman inside and outside chamfer is difficult to adjust.
The RCBS shell holder slips and nothing can be done about it.
The RCBS inside/outside chamfer and trim die is difficult to adjust.
The RCBS VLD inside chamfer has threads for the green handle flash hole trimmer and not the trimmer shaft
The handle on the Herters trim crank is knurled and cuts into the hand.

I mounted a trimmer vertically and put a door knob on the handle.
I pounded out the rod to one side on the collet shell holder so it is a lever and not a finger and thumb twist.

Clark
01-13-2009, 03:22 PM
RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter 22 Caliber,
Lee Shellholder 223,
Lee Lock stud,
Rockwell mill,
Kurt vise,
vise grips,

This system trims to length and chamfers inside and out in 5 or 10 seconds per round

9.3X62AL
01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Clark--

As always, the things you do and write about fascinate me. Good stuff, sir.

No_1
01-13-2009, 06:20 PM
Dang shame you did / could not mount the cutter inside the unit then you could use the shaving reservoir to catch the brass trimmings.

Robert

Here's my quick and dirty trimmer, made from a busted electric pencil sharpner.

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/xacto_trim1.JPG

http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/images/xacto_trim2.JPG

Alright...no laughing. :)

The backstory: The switch on the pencil sharpner went out a couple days after it came home from Office Depot. Called Xacto and they sent a replacement right away (good customer service). So I had this busted one left over. Took it apart, realized it would be useful for some type of low speed, low power operation. Fitted the Lee cutter in place of the pencil tip cutter heads. Removed the busted momentary switch that was inside the sharpener and replaced it with an external on/off push switch.

This is not used for any precision case prep. I use it for 357 and 7.62x39 cases that are near or over max length. I just give them a quick push against the cutter head to take them back a hundredth of an inch or so. It's cheesy, but it works. It sure beats loading each case into a chuck.

rbstern
01-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Dang shame you did / could not mount the cutter inside the unit then you could use the shaving reservoir to catch the brass trimmings.

Robert

That was my first inclination. But the cutter length was wrong, and it's hardened steel, tough to cut. Also, the hole in the case acts as a bushing to steady the cutter. The tray can actually be pulled out a little (as you would to empty it) to catch the brass shavings.

1hole
01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Puzzled about "inconsitancies" with the Lyman. Mine isn't powered, it's the original "Universal" trimmer, but the basic system is the same. The case heads are firmly held against a solid steel head and cutter travel is controlled by a set-screw locked travel stop. The only way I can see any variation in finished lengths at all is if the operator quits cranking too soon OR if the shaft's stop collar is only loosely set. ????

Leadforbrains
01-17-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a Forster case trimmer for general use and a Giraud for doing volume trimming of my .223 and .308 brass. I like the giraud because it is quick and chamfers and deburs as it cuts.

skeet1
01-18-2009, 09:49 AM
I use the Lee. I chuck the cutter in my drill press and run it on the slowest speed. I then use the Lee shellholder and stud and run the case up to the cutter. This works very well and is fast.

I have had several other case trimmers they they are slow and don't seem to be as accurate. The best one is one made by and old company by the name of Grigsby. One problem I have had with other case trimmers is the blades becoming dull. With the lee, if the do become dull they are cheap enough to replace.

Skeet1

Clark
01-22-2009, 12:20 PM
I just did a series of measurements to see:
1) How long the case could really be allowed to grow?
2) What happens when the case is allowed to grow?

I made a chamber neck space measuring tool for my .223 chambers.
I measured my .223 rifles for distance from the closed breech to the end of the neck.

I then measured the headpace to the shoulder of each rifle relative to the minimum SAAMI headspace.

I reasoned that the brass could be as long as the distance from breech face to end of chamber neck, minus the amount the firing pin could push the case forward, so I should be able to let it grow to 0.028" longer than published max length.

---------------------------------------------

I found a piece of brass that was 0.011" too long, per when the load books say to trim.
I fired that piece of brass at 66 kpsi 13 times [SAAMI max is 55 kpsi for .223] without trimming, just FL resizing each time that made the brass grow to 0.026" too long, until I could feel some resistance on chambering the loaded round.

What does it all mean?
Maybe I don't need to trim.

R.C. Hatter
02-02-2009, 12:26 AM
I've used the Forster Trimmer for 40+ years and not had any trouble with it. I have two cutters and all 4 collets, the regular base, plus a long base for .45/120. They have excellent customer service including sharpening the cutter, which is why I have the extra one.

MaxHeadSpace
02-02-2009, 12:54 AM
RCBS -- works fine, easy to set up. I use it for basic trimming, nothing super demanding for "accuracy" or bench rest shooting. And RCBS warrants everything, no matter what. If you screw it up, they want to see it so they can engineer the "idiot" out of the design.

Tom W.
02-02-2009, 01:16 AM
You gotta be kiddin.. I Hate to trim brass....

Vashtgn
02-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I do not recommend the Lyman case trimmer, I would use the RCBS trimmer in a pinch but the most tried and true method of brass trimming is done on a good solid Southbend Lathe they are expensive but extremly accurate.

sg5054
02-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Wilson. Dead nuts on over and over. A little slow but you can't beat it for accuracy.

cbrick
02-12-2009, 12:32 AM
I've been using this Forster since I built it a home 25+ years ago.

http://www.lasc.us/2006-05-25.jpg

Length trims, outside neck turns, inside neck turns, chamfers, debur's, uniforms primer pockets and flash holes.

A short while back I was intrigued by the Redding Micrometer 2400. Got it into my head that with the micrometer adjustment it would be more accurate than the Forster . . . Silly me. It's neither as accurate nor consistent and it's far, far slower even with a crank on the Forster. 45 minutes into a trimming session and I had a grand total of six 357 mag cases that I could call consistent and two in the thrash can for being far too short. That's after the original 2400 went back to the factory and I waited week after week after week to get it back. (6 or 7 weeks, they had it so long i forgot)

Rick

Rockchucker
02-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Heavy lead, what was your frustration? I just got a Lyman Universal and I am getting very frustrated with it. It seemed to be working fine...trimming .223 casing, until yesterday. I can't seem to get the case holder to lock tight enough.....I keep trying and get it a little tight and start to trim and ....... case spins and comes loose. Any suggestions?
Anyone else have this problem? I thinking about sending it back and getting something else. Or calling LYMAN.

I have the Forster brand but this is what I do... Insert the case in the pilot and that holds it pretty horizontal then slide it into the collet for a perfect fit then tightened the collet. Works for me.

yarro
03-03-2009, 09:50 PM
The power trimmers from Lyman and RCBS both work fine. The Dillon is wonderful if you are going to trim several thousand rifle cases. No experience with others except the hand crank ones, which using gets really old after 300-400 cases.

-Yarro

dromia
03-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Puzzled about "inconsitancies" with the Lyman. Mine isn't powered, it's the original "Universal" trimmer, but the basic system is the same. The case heads are firmly held against a solid steel head and cutter travel is controlled by a set-screw locked travel stop. The only way I can see any variation in finished lengths at all is if the operator quits cranking too soon OR if the shaft's stop collar is only loosely set. ????

Read post No31 for my take on this, the Lyman type doesn't take account of rim thickness in OAL, the Forster collet types do.

Gary51
03-04-2009, 11:03 AM
I have owned most brands and like my Wilson about the best. It is not the fastest, but it is easy to use and set up and is very accurate. The shell holders are priced fairly considering the quality that you are buying. If you trim many different calibers it could get costly.

TooManyMisses
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
I have had a Lyman for about 20 years and just got the power adapter for it, never had any problems except having to order extra pilots for odd calibers. Have a Wilson for .22 Hornet that is pretty much impossible to mess up. Found Lyman excellent for service also as they messed up sending some accessories like primer pocket cleaners & reamers but corrected order immediately.

Larry

shdwlkr
03-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a redding and for the use I put it to it works ok. Would I buy another that is a tough question as I have been reading several places where they don't think the customer knows a thing about quality. Sad as they used to be a great company.
If I where to buy another it would be Foster or Wilson and hope to get quality and good customer service.

Storydude
03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Another user of the Possum Hollow Quick case trimmer.

I love mine. Takes seconds, measures off the shoulder so no problems with rim thickness and it's easy.

Clark
08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I made my own chamber neck length gauge.

It has been brought to my attention that Sinclair makes something for cheap that gets the job done better:
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/11241/Case-Gauges-Headspace-Tools

http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/large/G-XXX_a-l.jpg

At any rate, when one knows the length, they can avoid those very short max case lengths listed in the load books.

hugh
08-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I Have Lyman also use the lee ones pencil type when i do not have a great amount to trim'
that said they are the only 2 I Have experience with.AM sure their is better ones then what i have.

TonyT
08-09-2009, 09:21 PM
The Forster has worked well for me for more than two decades.

bob208
08-10-2009, 06:42 AM
i took the shell holder from my layman and mounted it on a block and use it in my milling machine